The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Haaland is the most deserving and I don’t think it’s particularly close. Still amazing to see one Canadian top three and another top 20.

There are not many players in the world I would take over Haaland at this point regardless of age or position. He has all the physical tools and the toolbox to go with it. Fast, strong, impeccable finishing and incredible movement off the ball which may actually be his best asset over everything

50 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Haaland is the most deserving and I don’t think it’s particularly close. Still amazing to see one Canadian top three and another top 20.

To put this in perspective, England has about twice the population, invented the modern game, has way more public awareness of football and (unless I am blanking on someone) all of their young players with promise play in Europe.

Yet, as compared to us, they only managed to double the number of their players who got votes.

Just sayin' 

(Not that I would say that here and expect to remain socially distanced.)

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

It seems like you are twisting his argument because you don't agree with it. 

1. Davies is "one of the best in the world" at his position:  You cannot take that away by suggesting LB is not really his position, but even if you did wouldn't that prove his point? Best in the world at LB, even though he was playing "out of position"...

2. Ansu making Bayern: You don't even comment on whether or not he would, so you are not so much twisting his point here, you are deflecting away from it.

3. On Ansu not projecting to be the best striker in the world: He is not saying he does not deserve votes because of this. In fact, he is not even talking about how Fati projects into the future, you are.

4. On Bayern trouncing Barca: His point is simple, Davies plays for a better team. This shouldn't be up for debate. Bayern just won the treble and Barca sit 11th in La Liga and lost to Bayern 8-1 a few months ago. This was not an attack on Fati whatsoever, nor was it putting blame on him for the loss. 

Not personally trying to attacking you, I just really don't like when someone twists someone else's argument because they don't want to hear it/ can't accept it/ disagree with it. 

For the record, I think he's a bit lucky to finish that high, but whatever. I don't particularly care because nobody remembers second or third, only first, and I think it is hard to argue with Halaand winning this. 

The point is that people are arguing that Davies was the only logical choice for reasons I think are erroneous.

He is not clearly a left back the way Haaland and Ansu are strikers.  He'll probably be moved this very season, as he was already when Lucas H came back. If he had a good season at LB, stalwart, great, but saying he's the best LB in the world on the basis of 8 months?

He does not score and so does not get rated for that, although if he hadn't been injured the Champions League win might have given him the needed votes to win. 

And no, I am not going to say if Ansu would play for Bayern, because even Haaland would not have played for Bayern given Lewandoski's season. How would you expect anyone to have gotten more than garbage minutes behind the guy deserving the Golden Ball?

As for the 8-2, it was obviously the worst day the team has had in Europe, ever. If you think that is the real difference between the teams, fine. I'll remind you Spain beat Germany 6-0 the other day, same goal difference with Neuer getting bombed: would you make the same argument? There are 6-8 teams  in Europe who could beat any rival on any day, and consistently. Barça is one of them.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As for the 8-2, it was obviously the worst day the team has had in Europe, ever. If you think that is the real difference between the teams, fine. I'll remind you Spain beat Germany 6-0 the other day, same goal difference with Neuer getting bombed: would you make the same argument? There are 6-8 teams  in Europe who could beat any rival on any day, and consistently. Barça is one of them.

No, because bad games happen. 

Barca being 11th in table is more telling. They are a great club going through a bad period. Bayern are a great club going through a great period. Davies was a big part of their treble winning season. The argument is that Fati had a lesser role for a lesser team. It is clear you are only arguing otherwise because you are a hardcore Barca fan. 

I am also not convinced Davies will move to winger on a permanent basis just based on how the season started. Sure, he got a few minutes to start off the season, but Bayern were also trying to get Lucas Hernandez going. Can't very well play both of them at LB can you?

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

1. So lame, guy, really. It is not even Davies' position you say he is supposed to be "the best in the world" at. And about Ansu making the Bayern team--until their injuries at the back he was not getting the minutes either, it was a makeshift solution. Haaland would not have replaced Lewandoski either, so what's your point?

2. And then you are basically arguing that if Ansu is not projected to be the absolutely best striker in the world, he does not deserve the votes. Guess voting Haaland was equally mistaken. 

3. Still for me the best argument is that in the same sentence you say he did not figure on the Champions Leagues squad (major mark against him) but is somehow to blame for a very bad loss. 

1. My point: Davies was being talked about as being one of the best players in his position - he played at LB for the entire season.  Maybe he should get bonus points for being so dominant at a new position.

2. Haaland: 10 goals, in 8 UCL games (Salzburg and BD) 13 goals in 15 Bundesliga games (half season BD). That’s already world class.  Fati, 8 goals total in 29 games.  Those two weren’t even close last year.

3. Bayern > Barca last year. And it was the worst Barca team in some time, so easier for Fati to get into the team.  It seemed like you were trying to make the argument that he should gain bonus points for playing with Barca.  

Dude, I’m not saying that Fati does not project to be one of the world’s best, just that on what actually played out last season, Davies’s accomplishments surpassed Fati’s.

7 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

1. My point: Davies was being talked about as being one of the best players in his position - he played at LB for the entire season.  Maybe he should get bonus points for being so dominant at a new position.

2. Haaland: 10 goals, in 8 UCL games (Salzburg and BD) 13 goals in 15 Bundesliga games (half season BD). That’s already world class.  Fati, 8 goals total in 29 games.  Those two weren’t even close last year.

3. Bayern > Barca last year. And it was the worst Barca team in some time, so easier for Fati to get into the team.  It seemed like you were trying to make the argument that he should gain bonus points for playing with Barca.  

Dude, I’m not saying that Fati does not project to be one of the world’s best, just that on what actually played out last season, Davies’s accomplishments surpassed Fati’s.

I agree that Davies deserved to be ahead of Fati. And Haaland, IMO, for the Champions win and his role in it. 

If Davies had not been injured and had gotten in a few more matches with some stellar moments, including in Champions league, he may well have won. Just as if David had scored a few over these past weeks he would have gotten more points, no doubt. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

That is good news.  Really wanting him to get back into the lineup.   Gotta break up the sometimes frustrating Lille sessions with the soma-like experience of knowing Bayern will comfortably win before the opening kick off.  

I need somewhere to vent about this but the fact that Alphonso Davies is not a lock to win the Lou Marsh award is a god damn travesty. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is an incredible human being for his efforts to help with the COVID-19 Pandemic and walking away from playing in the NFL but the Lou Marsh is for on the field performance. I can’t believe the amount of sports reporters in Canada circle jerking this narrative that “in a year like no other it should go to the humanitarian”. Like WTF is that? Davies won the treble with one of the biggest clubs in the world in one of the biggest leagues, won the UCL and the first Canadian to do it, finished 3rd in the Golden Boy award voting and will ultimately go down as the greatest Canadian soccer player ever. 

Sorry for the rambling but I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here with the mental gymnastics to suggest someone else should win this award other than Davies. 

Hey, lighten up people.  Davies is going to cop this award multiple times over his career.  If in a tragically unique year like 2020 has been he will be sharing it with an athlete who has acted so selflessly then there is a nobility worth being celebrated.  So let's celebrate!

I know I'm feeling warm and fuzzy.

Bit odd I can't smell my stew though.  Not to mention it's kinda bland tasting.

AH CRAP.

Wow - they've even awoken Jozy on this one! Have to agree with him.

Journalists wanting to go full on activist. Both players won championships. One player was one of the best in the world's game at 19.. the other was an average lineman who played 3 games.

The best thing to do with activist journalists is to let them eat themselves. Someone should write an article claiming "racism" and "white privilege". 

Up until a day ago I didn't even know who Tardif was or that he was a candidate. I thought Davies' main competition was from the basketball player or that guy on the Steelers.

Edited by CanadaFan123

39 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Exactly, I looked up the previous winners and the fact GSP never won it and he's arguably the goat in his sport is madness. 

Seriously? This award is such a joke lol. I’m not a huge MMA fan or anything but I respect it way more than the majority of other sports on the list. 

Figure skating and swimming are #2 and #3 on the list, that probably says it all. 

Was it Larry Walker who made the statement when he lost out to Jacques Villeneuve,  " I lost to a car"?

Edit, it was:

When FORMULA 1™ world champion Jacques Villeneuve was awarded the trophy in 1997 over Larry Walker, the first Canadian to be named an MVP in Major League Baseball, it set off one of the greatest sports debates in Canadian history. At the time, Walker claimed he felt like he “lost to a car,” and the debate has lived on for more than two decades since.

Edited by gator

I don't care so much about the award but rather than Alphonso gets the recognition he deserves. Sharing the award with someone I've never heard of - even though I follow the NFL - doesn't really do that properly IMO, especially since the other guy is being awarded this for non-athletic activity, but I guess it's better than not getting it at all.