The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Phonzie still doing Phonzie things after being injured.. David finding form in Ligue 1/Europe.. Eustaquio emerging as a top CM in Portugal.. Millar tearing apart PL2 and looking at a Championship loan.. Corbeanu with eyes on PL games with Wolves.. Larin/Hutch ripping twine in Turkey.. Arfield born again in Glasgow.. and Laryea/Buchanan/StClair/Hasal emerging as MLS stars.. Merry Christmas Canadian Soccer fans. 

Imagine what they'll accomplish if CSA get there head out of their asses and get these guys to play a match together!

Sorry, not sorry, I just had too!

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Davies had the most take-ons for Bayern today. He completed 11/13 

By comparison, Sane (2nd) had 5/9 and Musiala (3rd) had 2/3.

To be fair, Sané is deeper and dribbling in less space. 

The team needs a bit more of this in the middle, I'd say, as they lost Thiago, who could create space quickly with the slightest of moves. Coutinho also gave them a bit of technique up the left. They probably need someone to replace this technique and not wager everything on the wing play. IMO the team is slightly weaker than last year, with Thiago gone and the veterans just that bit older.

I see they signed Marc Roca, who I've followed since a kid at Espanyol, a very surprising signing IMO, but he's a sharp passer and has a lot of potential in the middle. But he's not an artist.

I'd also say that if Theo is healthy, they are going to play him, he won't be relegated that much to the bench. Not at his price. He's solid defensively. So as Davies gets back on form, and after the winter break, we will see Davies transition more definitively into attacking positions.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The team needs a bit more of this in the middle, I'd say, as they lost Thiago, who could create space quickly with the slightest of moves. Coutinho also gave them a bit of technique up the left. They probably need someone to replace this technique and not wager everything on the wing play. IMO the team is slightly weaker than last year, with Thiago gone and the veterans just that bit older.

I see they signed Marc Roca, who I've followed since a kid at Espanyol, a very surprising signing IMO, but he's a sharp passer and has a lot of potential in the middle. But he's not an artist.

I'd also say that if Theo is healthy, they are going to play him, he won't be relegated that much to the bench. Not at his price. He's solid defensively. So as Davies gets back on form, and after the winter break, we will see Davies transition more definitively into attacking positions.

This is all very well said. I had similar feelings regarding the loss of Coutinho/Thiago. 

Interesting input about Roca. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not convinced this will happen. It may on occasion, but I can also see Theo getting his minutes at CB with Davies at LB. 

Not sure what is going on with Alaba and if he is on his way out for sure, but if so they would be wise to play Theo at CB more often than not.  

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unless Costa Rica has been booted out of Concacaf recently, I think Keylor Navas listed under goalkeepers also counts as far as Concacaf players on the list. ;)

Can we do that?!? 😀 I really thought I checked it over lol

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Not sure what is going on with Alaba and if he is on his way out for sure, but if so they would be wise to play Theo at CB more often than not.  

Press in England think that contract negotiations have stopped and are linking Chelsea at least.  But not until the summer. And it is the press in England. 

Recent interview with Tuttosport, Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says: (translated) 

"Would we be disappointed if the Juventus president Andrea Agnelli, your great friend and successor at the ECA, hired Alaba on a free transfer?

- Each team rightly thinks about reinforcing itself. In this situation, it is normal for the top European clubs to think of Alaba. Now it's up to him to make a decision about the future: maybe he will change team. Or maybe he thinks about it and decides to stay at Bayern. We'll see."

https://www.tuttosport.com/news/calcio/golden-boy/2020/12/10-77225381/irrompe_rummenigge_pirlo_avr_successo_andrea_un_maestro_e_ha_un_super_ronaldo

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

We dont think the lou marsh means much but they talked about it alot today on the Bayern broadcast.  

"They" being former Canadian international Kevin McKenna, who never even knew, or at least couldn't remember, the of the award. It wasn't until he and his colleague dug up the info during the half time break that they uttered the words "lou marsh".

Edited by Obinna