The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I like how MLSsoccer.com puts out an article of Reyna getting an assist (but shy away from the fact Dortmund lost 3-1).

A more balanced headline would read: Reyna provides assist in 3-1 loss to Lazio. Instead, they tuck the scoreline into the last sentence of the article lol

This is typical of American sports coverage - focus on the positive and ignore or gloss over the negatives. It comes from media rights holders not wanting to burn the leagues they cover and erode their ratings. Political coverage is similar since there is usually no push back against what politicians say as seen in UK & New Zealand. 

And the supporters are the same. Lots of gushing over young players even over hockey assists and with all touches videos. But some are finally learning since they have seen most of their hyped young players never pan out for most of this century. 

Article also fails to mention Reyna got a yellow card. 

Eh... it's an article about Gio Reyna's assist, not a Borussia Dortmund match report. These quick hit articles are just written for SEO purposes and are a very easy way to drive traffic (specifically, traffic from people who watch soccer).

The point is to get it published fast, with a minimal amount of information, and possibly do an analysis piece later (by someone more qualified than the average desk jockey, like Matt Doyle).

It's, what, 150 words at most and is written around a video clip that doesn't even belong to MLS. This is how outlets get away with using clips they don't own — by embedding the tweet from the rightsholder.

I've literally spent more time explaining the article right now than the author did thinking about it, guaranteed.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Eh... it's an article about Gio Reyna's assist, not a Borussia Dortmund match report. These quick hit articles are just written for SEO purposes and are a very easy way to drive traffic (specifically, traffic from people who watch soccer).

The point is to get it published fast, with a minimal amount of information, and possibly do an analysis piece later (by someone more qualified than the average desk jockey, like Matt Doyle).

It's, what, 150 words at most and is written around a video clip that doesn't even belong to MLS. This is how outlets get away with using clips they don't own — by embedding the tweet from the rightsholder.

I've literally spent more time explaining the article right now than the author did thinking about it, guaranteed.

I have no problem with the format, which I very much appreciate your insight on. My thing about it is: Why omit the score from the headline? Is it done to maximize traffic? Perhaps more people are inclined to click if you omit the loss?

If Dortmund win with a Reyna assist the win gets mentioned in the headline, guaranteed. 

Please do not take this as a criticism of the reporting style, but rather an observation/theory: This is precisely the sort of thing that gives Americans unrealistic expectations about their players. In turn, those expectations weigh heavily on the players, who are then unfairly criticized when the unrealistic expectations aren't met.

I do not think it is helpful for the psyche of the USA fanbase.

The phrase "Lie by omission" comes to mind. Sure, the loss was mentioned at the end (with a positive twist), but people typically do not read until the end of an article. That is why the loss is buried at the bottom. The headline gets the most eyeballs, no?

Edited by Obinna

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have no problem with the format, which I very much appreciate your insight on. My thing about it is: Why omit the score from the headline? Is it done to maximize traffic? Perhaps more people are inclined to click if you omit the loss?

If Dortmund win with a Reyna assist the win gets mentioned in the headline, guaranteed. 

Please do not take this as a criticism of the reporting style, but rather an observation/theory: This is precisely the sort of thing that gives Americans unrealistic expectations about their players. In turn, those expectations weigh heavily on the players, who are then unfairly criticized when the unrealistic expectations aren't met.

I do not think it is helpful for the psyche of the USA fanbase.

The phrase "Lie by omission" comes to mind. Sure, the loss was mentioned at the end (with a positive twist), but people typically do not read until the end of an article. That is why the loss is buried at the bottom. The headline gets the most eyeballs, no?

The score is omitted rom the headline because it's not the focus of the story. Reyna's performance is.

That might sound counterintuitive, but that's just how it is in today's environment where news is ingested in tons of tiny, social media-friendly fragments rather than big chunks.

However, you are correct that if Dortmund had won the headline would've reflected it a bit more. It would be "Reyna provides game-winning assist in Dortmund's Champions League victory" or something like that, because the context of his assist/performance changes with the Dortmund result (while still keeping the focus on Reyna).

It has little to do with Americans trying to shield their readers from bad results and much more to do with how the industry operates nowadays.

Yeah, I don’t sense a big conspiracy here. Like CPL doesn’t run an article saying something like “Liverpool win 2-0, Liam Millar not in the game day 18”. That article was geared to USMNT fans, not Dortmund fans. They don’t really care about the result, they care how their player did. I remember a week or two ago there was a tweet about Cyle Larin scoring a brace in a friendly with Besiktas. I couldn’t tell you who they were playing or what the score was. I am pretty sure they won but that’s mostly just because I know they got at least 2 goals.

I agree with the above sentiment - much ado about nothing.

Back on topic: Serge Gnabry has tested positive for COVID-19. The game was in doubt for a hot minute as the other Bayern players got additionally tested, but it is going ahead. Let's see how Bayern line up without Gnabry, who astonishingly has become one of their most important players.

8 minutes ago, RS said:

The score is omitted rom the headline because it's not the focus of the story. Reyna's performance is.

That might sound counterintuitive, but that's just how it is in today's environment where news is ingested in tons of tiny, social media-friendly fragments rather than big chunks.

However, you are correct that if Dortmund had won the headline would've reflected it a bit more. It would be "Reyna provides game-winning assist in Dortmund's Champions League victory" or something like that, because the context of his assist/performance changes with the Dortmund result (while still keeping the focus on Reyna).

It has little to do with Americans trying to shield their readers from bad results and much more to do with how the industry operates nowadays.

Thanks for your viewpoint. Yeah what you are saying makes sense to me. I didn't mean to make it sound like the intention was to shield the American viewer. I was suggesting it has the unintended consequence of making things look better than they are. No wonder then that American fans have unrealistic expectations of their players, generally speaking. 

We are in agreement that if Reyna provides the game-winning assist in a victory, the win makes the headline, but if it is in a losing cause, the loss is omitted. In either case the focus of the story is his performance, but I accept that is just the way it is. 

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I don’t sense a big conspiracy here. Like CPL doesn’t run an article saying something like “Liverpool win 2-0, Liam Millar not in the game day 18”. That article was geared to USMNT fans, not Dortmund fans. They don’t really care about the result, they care how their player did. I remember a week or two ago there was a tweet about Cyle Larin scoring a brace in a friendly with Besiktas. I couldn’t tell you who they were playing or what the score was. I am pretty sure they won but that’s mostly just because I know they got at least 2 goals.

They care when the result is a win. Same with us, it is not just an American thing. If Alphonso gets a game-winning assist, I bet you care more than if he assists in a loss. The assist is most important of course, but the context of the win makes it a more important assist for us. 

Back to Alphonso though....

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They care when the result is a win. Same with us, it is not just an American thing. If Alphonso gets a game-winning assist, I bet you care more than if he assists in a loss. The assist is most important of course, but the context of the win makes it a more important assist for us. 

Back to Alphonso though....

I generally want Canadian player’s teams to win, but I actually would feel better about a Davies assist in a 2-1 loss than an assist on the 8th goal in an 8-0 blow out. But yeah, back to Davies. Game starts in 90 minutes.

I actually like what's going on.. i can't help but keep it real and the hype swirling around Phonzie at the end last season did get a bit out of hand. I think starting behind a player who starts for the World Cup Champs isn't the end of the world and might be a good thing for our guy. Keep him a bit grounded

As far as media im totally sick of mls.com and espnfc with all their nonsense. There should be a Canadian focused footie media outlet. Cough cough nudge nudge Onesoccer 

Edited by SpursFlu

24 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Listening to the game on the radio and the announcer seems to think Davies is playing. Mentioned his name in the play a couple times. I'm sure he's just mistaken as all the apps show him on the bench.

Probably mistaking him for Coman, or maybe Alaba, who got a yellow five minutes in, which may help to bring Davies onto the field earlier if they move Hernandez inside to replace Alaba. On the other hand Boateng is also on the bench, which I have to say by Bayern standards is looking a little thin after Boateng & Davies.

Edit: Coman just scored. If the radio announcer called him Davies, we will know who he's mistaking Davies for. ;)

Edited by Gian-Luca

48 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

As far as media im totally sick of mls.com and espnfc with all their nonsense. There should be a Canadian focused footie media outlet. Cough cough nudge nudge Onesoccer 

Maybe you already know about it, but I just recently found out this site exists (and you reminded me to actually go to it for the first time to confirm it).

https://news.onesoccer.ca/

And of course, there is also this one.

https://canpl.ca/

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe you already know about it, but I just recently found out this site exists (and you reminded me to actually go to it for the first time to confirm it).

https://news.onesoccer.ca/

And of course, there is also this one.

https://canpl.ca/

Thanks I didn't know they had a news site. As far as canpl.ca, they do a good job but its strange to me to use a league website as my source for general football news 

Checking out the onesoccer it just seems an extension of canpl.ca. how about a broader range of footie news?

Edited by SpursFlu