The Importance of Alphonso Davies

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow guys, this one was special. I was in the building for this one and got to see Davies up close in a big match.    he didn’t offer a ton offensively in this one and was absolutely GASSED by t

Alaba leaves Bayern exit door open and praises "brave" Davies Bayern Munich’s long-serving left-back David Alaba’s future at the Bundesliga champions appears to be up in the air after he suggeste

Posted Images

Davies heads the CIES Football Observatory list of the highest estimated transfer values for big-5 league players born in the 2000s: €180 M. 

12 big-5 league footballers born in the 2000s with an estimated value greater than €50M are four Englishmen (Sancho, Greenwood, Saka, Foden), two Spaniards (Fati, Torres), two Brazilians (Goes, Vinícius), a Canadian (Davies), a Norwegian (Haland), a Swede (Kulusevski) and a Frenchman (Camavinga).

David makes the top 20.

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2020/wp311/en/

^^^^

I’m giving that a like because it is amazing info but if I am being honest I am not loving the kind of expectation and pressure this sort of attention puts on him.  He really seems like he has a good head on his shoulders but I prefer our guys to be over delivering within an environment of modest expectations.   

15 hours ago, red card said:

Davies heads the CIES Football Observatory list of the highest estimated transfer values for big-5 league players born in the 2000s: €180 M. 

12 big-5 league footballers born in the 2000s with an estimated value greater than €50M are four Englishmen (Sancho, Greenwood, Saka, Foden), two Spaniards (Fati, Torres), two Brazilians (Goes, Vinícius), a Canadian (Davies), a Norwegian (Haland), a Swede (Kulusevski) and a Frenchman (Camavinga).

David makes the top 20.

And David ranked at #16 at €43.6! Two Canadians in the top 16! :D

21 hours ago, red card said:

David makes the top 20.

Love Phonzie ....but that doesnt make much sense to me at all. 

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Love Phonzie ....but that doesnt make much sense to me at all. 

Agree: Some of those names I wonder about. Maybe I have not been paying attention.

Neither the figures, the names nor the analysis of how market value works makes any sense. First, if you are already on a top club, you can't transfer out for a high value because few clubs can pay for you. So your value is hypothetical. What is the point of putting a numerical value on something hypothetical? 

Ferran Torres: the exact same player, before transferring to the EPL, would have been way lower, the mere fact of playing in England skews the analysis. 

Then, how does moving to Lille and not scoring for a few months almost double your market value? Was the committee bought out from the team that must be Lille's most bitter rival, Lens? They must value the current David more than anyone.

Greenwood: have I really not been paying attention?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn’t get the young player award.  Here is a slightly biased take on things. 

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/11/21/21588358/bayern-munich-alphonso-davies-robbed-golden-boy-borussia-dortmund-erling-haaland-champions-league

In fairness, Haaland is an okayish footballer.  

Hernandez off with a back injury in their game today.

Said some nice things about Davies in the week. 

"Even in the difficult situation I found myself in last season, I always saw myself with Bayern. I have always felt the club's confidence in me, from the management, the coach and my teammates.

"With his speed, technical ability and positional play, [Davies] emerged as the best left-back in the world. Personally, I need competition to be able to progress."

https://bulinews.com/news/6657/lucas-hernandez-hopes-alphonso-davies-will-return-from-injury-soon-i-need-competition-be-able-progress

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hernandez off with a back injury in their game today.

Said some nice things about Davies in the week. 

"Even in the difficult situation I found myself in last season, I always saw myself with Bayern. I have always felt the club's confidence in me, from the management, the coach and my teammates.

"With his speed, technical ability and positional play, [Davies] emerged as the best left-back in the world. Personally, I need competition to be able to progress."

https://bulinews.com/news/6657/lucas-hernandez-hopes-alphonso-davies-will-return-from-injury-soon-i-need-competition-be-able-progress

Good for Hernández. I think he is a strong player, perhaps not at all as spectacular as Davies, but solid defending and tenacious. Tendency to get de-centred and take yellows, which he'll have to sort out if he wants that spot. For what Bayern paid for him they are likely to now look for Davies to move up the pitch where they thought he would be from the start. Oddly, maybe the injury will help Hernández focus in and enable Bayern to use Alphonso differently when he gets back.

For this article on Davies they interviewed a former Canadian player some may not know about.. it's a great read about his story and watch the video for even more interesting commentary of the making of the video in Greece and how much the locals love him and the song about the team..

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/davies-tiktok-charisma-shows-why-he-can-be-so-fearless-on-the-pitch-at-bayern/ar-BB1b16tJ

6 hours ago, saintjoes said:

For this article on Davies they interviewed a former Canadian player some may not know about.. it's a great read about his story and watch the video for even more interesting commentary of the making of the video in Greece and how much the locals love him and the song about the team..

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/davies-tiktok-charisma-shows-why-he-can-be-so-fearless-on-the-pitch-at-bayern/ar-BB1b16tJ

A little off topic but those stories from Tam are crazy ... really, really sad that he (and others) have to go through things like that.

14 hours ago, Addona said:

A little off topic but those stories from Tam are crazy ... really, really sad that he (and others) have to go through things like that.

But he's already my favourite rapper for this line:

I released a teaser clip and mispronounced the Greek word 'squad' and ended up saying 'p*nis'. I was trying to say my 'squad goes hard!' But it has turned into a serious, quality song."

On 11/21/2020 at 9:49 PM, TOcanadafan said:

There’s definitely an argument to be made for Harland to win it over Davies, but it’s an absolute joke that Fati came in second.

It's not a joke, Ansu is a goal scorer. He's the youngest person ever to score for the Spanish national team. He's on a high-profile club. He is also an incredible player, and a few years younger than these guys still.

I would have put Davies ahead of course, but you can't think that making hot runs and feeding in hot assists is ever going to match scoring hot goals. My opinion is that if Davies had not gotten injured that would have held up for the journalists and his Champions performance would have endured as the decisive factor. But the injury cut in, the same way David not scoring  at all cut him out of a few more top 5 votes from the journalists.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not a joke.  He's on a high-profile club. He is also an incredible player, and a few years younger than these guys still.

So I guess a semi regular player (his sub appearances out counted his starts, and only started once in Champions League) for a Barcelona team that got humiliated 8-1 by Davies’s Bayern team, puts him ahead of a Champions League winner? The argument was being made for Davies to be one of the best in the world at hips position, Fati is no where close. Fati would barely had seen the field for this Bayern team. 
The “he’s younger” argument holds no weight... he can win the award in a future year.

3 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

So I guess a semi regular player (his sub appearances out counted his starts, and only started once in Champions League) for a Barcelona team that got humiliated 8-1 by Davies’s Bayern team, puts him ahead of a Champions League winner? The argument was being made for Davies to be one of the best in the world at hips position, Fati is no where close. Fati would barely had seen the field for this Bayern team. 
The “he’s younger” argument holds no weight... he can win the award in a future year.

So lame, guy, really. It is not even Davies' position you say he is supposed to be "the best in the world" at. And about Ansu making the Bayern team--until their injuries at the back he was not getting the minutes either, it was a makeshift solution. Haaland would not have replaced Lewandoski either, so what's your point?

And then you are basically arguing that if Ansu is not projected to be the absolutely best striker in the world, he does not deserve the votes. Guess voting Haaland was equally mistaken. 

Still for me the best argument is that in the same sentence you say he did not figure on the Champions Leagues squad (major mark against him) but is somehow to blame for a very bad loss. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So lame, guy, really. It is not even Davies' position you say he is supposed to be "the best in the world" at. And about Ansu making the Bayern team--until their injuries at the back he was not getting the minutes either, it was a makeshift solution. Haaland would not have replaced Lewandoski either, so what's your point?

And then you are basically arguing that if Ansu is not projected to be the absolutely best striker in the world, he does not deserve the votes. Guess voting Haaland was equally mistaken. 

Still for me the best argument is that in the same sentence you say he did not figure on the Champions Leagues squad (major mark against him) but is somehow to blame for a very bad loss. 

It seems like you are twisting his argument because you don't agree with it. 

1. Davies is "one of the best in the world" at his position:  You cannot take that away by suggesting LB is not really his position, but even if you did wouldn't that prove his point? Best in the world at LB, even though he was playing "out of position"...

2. Ansu making Bayern: You don't even comment on whether or not he would, so you are not so much twisting his point here, you are deflecting away from it.

3. On Ansu not projecting to be the best striker in the world: He is not saying he does not deserve votes because of this. In fact, he is not even talking about how Fati projects into the future, you are.

4. On Bayern trouncing Barca: His point is simple, Davies plays for a better team. This shouldn't be up for debate. Bayern just won the treble and Barca sit 11th in La Liga and lost to Bayern 8-1 a few months ago. This was not an attack on Fati whatsoever, nor was it putting blame on him for the loss. 

Not personally trying to attacking you, I just really don't like when someone twists someone else's argument because they don't want to hear it/ can't accept it/ disagree with it. 

For the record, I think he's a bit lucky to finish that high, but whatever. I don't particularly care because nobody remembers second or third, only first, and I think it is hard to argue with Halaand winning this. 

Edited by Obinna
On 11/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, Addona said:

DeRosario and Bent also had a terrible time of it in former east German city of Zwickau at the beginning of their pro careers. Tam has a lot of stories for sure.