matty

Herdman new head coach

Wasn't able to watch the game, so hesitant to comment, but if Herdman is the problem hopefully the senior players will let CSA exec members know about it. Was the low key T&T game the best pre-tournament preparation is a question they should definitely look at. Why not have a challenging home friendly instead or was that deliberately avoided to keep a PR narrative intact?

We won't learn anything in the Nations League. 

Cuba will be easy and the US will be favoured over us anyways. 

Herdman was always a mistake hiring. I think the people who did defend it always knew deep down in their hearts it was a bad choice. 

This was what I was scared about. Herdman had real bad issues with his lineup for the women. His tactics are usually fine. 

He had an unreasonable crush on playing Kyle for the women and she was quite likely the worst player I've ever seen.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, king1010 said:

I think there were other contribution factors to Zambranos firing which were more significant than actual results. 

I'd like to see the proof. Too much is said of off the field stuff but no one ever elaborates. At the moment both Zambrano and Herdman have accomplished the exact same, with herdman's exit in the QFs much more egregious.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'd like to see the proof. Too much is said of off the field stuff but no one ever elaborates. At the moment both Zambrano and Herdman have accomplished the exact same, with herdman's exit in the QFs much more egregious.

As would I. 

Zambrano didnt have the luxury of David though. 

Edited by king1010

We are in the same place, but Herdman had way more to work with.  Kaye is an MLS allstar, Osorio has been battle tested with TFC against Mexican teams, David is lighting in a bottle, Cav has lived up to his potential.  And we kept running out weird lineups avoiding playing the FB that probably would be tested in the GC.  The players need to take their lumps (the ones who made obvious errors) but Godinho/ZBG were thrown to the wolves, as was Larin playing wing, and even Davies playing LB, where he was exposed defensively.  Manager is supposed to put you in spots where you can succeed, where the team can succeed.  Godinho needed cover, he didnt get it, we needed to tighten up defensively and they got us on the counter when we were up.  And the talk of playing coy, not showing their hand for the second game against mexico...Herdman will be chewing on those words for ever.  

I felt that the mental toughness, the ability to deal with adversity, was yet again lacking when it mattered most.  To me, this is a bigger cock up than 1-8 because we were in the favourite role, playing in a far from intimating environment, with a comfortable two goal lead and with better players (at least in the attacking six).

I've said this before on this forum (perhaps this specific thread):  you are who you are in times of adversity.  How you react in those crunch moments says everything about your mettle.

We choked.

8 minutes ago, shamrock said:

How can you blame the coach for a brainfart of a player? Untill the 2-1 we had full control.

You can blame the coach for not reacting properly to the individual errors which gifted goals and momentum back to the opposition. Taking out a guy with 5 goals in four games for a defensive left back and not using all your subs when you are a goal down can and has been definitely questioned

9 minutes ago, shamrock said:

How can you blame the coach for a brainfart of a player? Untill the 2-1 we had full control.

The coach can be blamed because his chatter about a new culture of resiliency was show to be a farce when we completely crumbled against a weak team while still in the lead. 

He can be blamed for substitutions that are baffling at best, incompetent at worst. 

He can be blamed for rationalizing a lack of friendlies that clearly led to us being ill-prepared for a major tournament.

He can be blamed for player selections in the squad that left us vulnerable in ways that every person in this board was aware of.  

Herdman needs to not only learn from the mistakes that his players made but also the ones he made, let’s put it that way.

We have to turn this negative into a positive. This can happen and it’s better to find out what your shortcomings are here than in WCQ - if the shortcoming is the coach not being self aware of his own shortcomings then that could be a problem. So some quotes from Herdman admitting his own errors would be nice, as would having a media that can question him on this.

45 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He can be blamed for substitutions that are baffling at best, incompetent at worst. 

He can be blamed for player selections in the squad that left us vulnerable in ways that every person in this board was aware of.  

Herdman - he was never ready.

GTFO

I told so many people that Zambrano was the right coach. I knew Herdsman would not have the tactical knowledge in the men’s game. It was too obvious. Canadian soccer people are just not seeing what is happening in our game. Head buried in the sand and putting their trust in leaders that have no vision. CSA board does not reflect what Canadian diversity and inclusion is supposed to be. Same people making the same mistakes. Shameful...

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Herdman needs to not only learn from the mistakes that his players made but also the ones he made, let’s put it that way.

We have to turn this negative into a positive. This can happen and it’s better to find out what your shortcomings are here than in WCQ - if the shortcoming is the coach not being self aware of his own shortcomings then that could be a problem. So some quotes from Herdman admitting his own errors would be nice, as would having a media that can question him on this.

Unfortunately in his post match interview he didnt appear willing or ready to admit his errors. 

The bottom line is that Coach Herdman failed his first real test.  Dramatically. We learned absolutely nothing from Nations League qualifying, and the group stage at Gold Cup, and when it finally mattered, after many preparation games and over a year in charge, he failed from 2-0 up at half. 

Everything went our way in the tournament, in the lead up, in the draw, and he managed to snatch defeat from the clutches of victory. 

But the CSA loves him and has this vision 2026 bs, so I suspect nothing will happen. Not that I need him to be fired, but come WCQ, there is little indication we’ll do any better. Remember that in his career he has now coached ONE actual away game at a CONCACAF nation that isn’t USA. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

The first goal conceded is not on a single player. We were not convincing in the first half with building out from the back and a better coach would have addressed this. Why allow Haiti that deep in our end to pressure us? Why is Henry telling Godinho to make that pass back when Henry could just have easily received that ball? 

59 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Unfortunately in his post match interview he didnt appear willing or ready to admit his errors. 

That interview was cringe worthy.

Luckily it appears we have some strong players that will wear the shirt with pride and passion regardless. 

I think only once he mentioned "we will learn" from this , most of it seemed he deflected it to complimenting Haiti and how are players were not strong enough, physically and mentally. For me anyways,  it was difficult not to cringe watching that presser.

7 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

That interview was cringe worthy.

Luckily it appears we have some strong players that will wear the shirt with pride and passion regardless. 

I think only once he mentioned "we will learn" from this , most of it seemed he deflected it to complimenting Haiti and how are players were not strong enough, physically and mentally. For me anyways,  it was difficult not to cringe watching that presser.

What i dont understand is why was piette on the bench if he felt we were being overmatched physically? He cant complain about the problems without having made an effort to rectify them. 

The think I find hard to understand is this: how is it possible that Herdman has such a poor understanding of basic game management and use of substitutes when everybody on this forum clearly understands these things so well? I mean, he has this wonderful resource available to him, all he has to do is ask! He could just type his question into the match thread and he would immediately have dozens of expert opinions to guide him! He really is an idiot for not using us.

2 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The think I find hard to understand is this: how is it possible that Herdman has such a poor understanding of basic game management and use of substitutes when everybody on this forum clearly understands these things so well? I mean, he has this wonderful resource available to him, all he has to do is ask! He could just type his question into the match thread and he would immediately have dozens of expert opinions to guide him! He really is an idiot for not using us.

He could also take advice on twitter fromThe former coach that he abruptly replaced. He appears to share the same expert opinion of some on this forum. 😛

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

He could also take advice on twitter fromThe former coach that he abruptly replaced. He appears to share the same expert opinion of some on this forum. 😛

I dunno, that guy was fired so what does he know? 😁