Herdman new head coach

matty

This past Wednesday I went to the FootyTalks CMNT "rally" in Toronto.  KJ interviewed Herdman.  My recollection:

- without naming OZ, Herdman brought up the OZ thing again and said people don't know about what happened, and the CSA has too much class to make public statements about what happened

- Herdman said he had never felt as much pressure as he did during the Gold Cup, at any previous point in his career.  KJ specifically asked him, even more than at the Women's World Cup?, and Herdman said yes.

- Herdman said he made mistakes in the second half against Haiti, and that his ego got in the way

- Herdman said when the team talked about the loss afterwards, the players said they felt Herdman's anxiety during the game

- Herdman did NOT make himself available for Q & A after his interview, even though that is the standard and really the whole point of FootyTalks as it's supposed to be an interactive thing.  The 4 players came out next and they did answer several audience questions.  Very odd that Herdman avoided the Q & A portion even though he was still in the building.

Edited by BrennanFan

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

- Herdman said he made mistakes in the second half against Haiti, and that his ego got in the way

- Herdman said when the team talked about the loss afterwards, the players said they felt Herdman's anxiety during the game

Did Herdman acknowledge that Canada played poorly the whole match and not just the second half? Ya we were winning, but it was very poorly played. Haiti's high pressure caused us turn over after turn over. We couldn't build up anything. That's a concern.

It's also a concern that he's showing signs of nervousness in front of his players.

I actually appreciate the honesty from him.  The haters will hate and jump on anything he says where he admits mistakes as demonstrating he is incompetent or dissecting his acknowledgements for omissions of what they think were his mistakes and jumped on him for that. If he didn’t admit his mistakes, they would jump on him for being arrogant.

It seems the players like him and think he is a great motivator and has brought something to the table.  He seems willing to learn which in my experience over the years is the most important thing in being a good boss in any organisation.

I can't say that I liked KJ's answer to your question about the lack of friendlies, given that (a) it was meant for Herdman, but asked of the players since Herdman wasn't on the stage anymore (b) seemed to be missing the point, as he seemed to be talking about promoters and Americans and Mexicans rolling their eyes (if they are who cares?) than the issue at hand which was the detrimental effect of not playing matches together.

14 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I can't say that I liked KJ's answer to your question about the lack of friendlies, given that (a) it was meant for Herdman, but asked of the players since Herdman wasn't on the stage anymore (b) seemed to be missing the point, as he seemed to be talking about promoters and Americans and Mexicans rolling their eyes (if they are who cares?) than the issue at hand which was the detrimental effect of not playing matches together.

Yea KJ lost credibility there.

Crepeau on the other hand gave a good, honest answer.

Footytalks video....

GRRRRR........herdman complains about the circumstances when he took over/putting him onto the back foot, but doesnt acknowledge why everyone was legitamitly skeptical.  It seems like his feelings were hurt when he got blowback on the way he took over.  He says that they were untested, but did not get any games to test them before the gold cup.....grrrrrrr.  Well the proof will be in the pudding, and I dont mean the cuba games.  If we use them to prep correctly and go on to do well against the states, it will go a long way to shutting up us doubters (me included).  .

Very nice to hear the younger generation on stage, Crepeau particularly seemed poised and mature. He handled the"no friendlies" question better than Herdman does.    Cordova really seems like he wants to be there and represent canada, very good to see.  Good job to CSA, KJ and all involved.    

1 hour ago, red card said:

FootyTalks event vid on youtube - Herdman is first one on.

I guess Herdman reads this because he addressed many of the ongoing discussions in here and also basically blamed us for putting so much pressure on him that he screwed up in the Haiti game. We better start sending only positive vibes.  

32 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I guess Herdman reads this because he addressed many of the ongoing discussions in here and also basically blamed us for putting so much pressure on him that he screwed up in the Haiti game. We better start sending only positive vibes.  

If he does, honestly he should just stay off this 99% of the time. As much as I appreciate the honesty in his answers and that he addressed some stuff bothering people, ok great. Me personally, I believe focusing on the next task at hand is far more important, but that's just my opinion. 

People are gonna complain no matter what, and it's cool, and I get it, but I mean France lost to Turkey this summer and some hardcore french supporters on forums were saying it's time for Didier Deschamps to hand over the reigns.

Hopefully the negative stuff on here, players, staff, fans etc. don't take overly critically. At the end of the day, for me anyways, we all have the same common goal.

Sports psych says positives vibes = positive energy = higher probability of better results.

Sure people are going to complain, but when you are a national team coach and you have months between camps you are going to have to deal with the media.  He has been around doing interviews and popping up at TSN in the booth for little chats etc to try and keep the interest in the team up.  Thats part of the job and I would have thought he would have thicker skin and would know to ignore message boards if he didnt want to get depressed.  Thats why I have to take a week or two hiatus now and again.  

Ahh good ol Johnny. This guy is a A+ professional motivator, A+ professional talker, but a D level coach who admits he's essentially learning on the job with Canada's best team ever. 

I appreciate his transparency because he's right we win against Haiti and we're believers of him. But we didn't, we capitulated. However in football you get opportunities to redeem yourself and now the time has come. 

That was a good little session, thanks for posting that @red card  Herdman really opens up and admits some errors, he mentions about turning down the England job, to me it was an attempt to get people on board with him, he knows there are many detractors especially after the Haiti fiasco! The only thing that is going to win fans over is getting the required results against the US, if we fall short the pressure on him will really ramp up as it should!

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Prior to the first USA game, perhaps he should replace the Navy SEAL beach training with a visit from Bianca Andreescu to show what big moment mental toughness looks like.

I wonder how well Andreescu would play if she had a match at noon in the heat of San Perdo Sula, fireworks kept her awake the night before, her dressing room had no running water, 40,000 people yelling vitriol at her the entire time...

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I wonder how well Andreescu would play if she had a match at noon in the heat of San Perdo Sula, fireworks kept her awake the night before, her dressing room had no running water, 40,000 people yelling vitriol at her the entire time...

I don't know, but if she was playing at the same location, in front of the same crowd, and against the same calibre of opponent as the NT did against Haiti at the Gold Cup, probably better.

My point here is that I want to see results when it matters most, against consistently tough or better opponents.  I don't want to read about Navy SEAL beach training and other b.s. Ted Talk spin,  as well as excuses (i.e. the RB was rattled by the keeper's rollicking) when things don't go right.  If we play and lose, be tough to beat.  And if you're tough to beat, you're always in it.

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The comments about the military beach training are interesting, it’s something that’s been done by many teams and many athletes so I’m not sure why it infuriates so many.

When you start winning consistently against bigger time opposition, then you might have the license to hype it up a bit on a social media.  But imo, we're not there yet. 

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

When you start winning consistently against bigger time opposition, then you might have the license to hype it up a bit on a social media.  But imo, we're not there yet. 

So, you would prefer that they keep that under wraps then and go on a twitter blackout leading up to the game?

Or should we go back to what we've always done in terms of preparation, and not entertain new ideas to perhaps get a different result?

Seems like when this is the complain, we've run out of things to complain about.

41 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't know, but if she was playing at the same location, in front of the same crowd, and against the same calibre of opponent as the NT did against Haiti at the Gold Cup, probably better.

My point here is that I want to see results when it matters most, against consistently tough or better opponents.  I don't want to read about Navy SEAL beach training and other b.s. Ted Talk spin,  as well as excuses (i.e. the RB was rattled by the keeper's rollicking) when things don't go right.  If we play and lose, be tough to beat.  And if you're tough to beat, you're always in it.

I also don't buy much Herdman's hot air and 'brain room' gimmicks.  I don't think Herdman really brings anything special to the table, but I will also say that the system and formation he wants the team to play are acceptable.  I think Herdman's biggest weakness is in-game management and substitutions. He crumbled mentally during the Haiti game.

It's fun to beat up on Cuba but really it's meaningless.  We have only played 2 games against good competition with Herdman and we've lost both of them.  We will all find out what this team is really made of on Oct. 15, 2019.  If we lose at home against the US, it's case closed on Herdman.