Herdman new head coach

matty

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yes the loss is disappointing but not the end of the world. We lost to a very well coached Haiti who downed the same Costa Rica that took it to Mexico. What matters now Is getting all hands on deck for the CNL and not making those mistakes against the US and advance to the Championship playoffs 

And that's where we're at going forward from here.  

29 minutes ago, Ansem said:

People need to calm down about Herdman. I'm not excusing anything, he was clearly outcoached by Marc Collat. I didn't like his line up against Haiti either and how he managed the 2nd half.

It's disappointing but will be a valuable learning experience going forward. I'd rather see those f--- ups here and now, than in World Cup Qualifiers.

Also, let's no kid ourselves here. We all know why he was hired and it was to fix the program the way it was done on the women's side. Could a better coach get us through Haiti? Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that our system/pathway is a mess and it's affecting our ability to unlock our true potential

We're stuck with him until at least 2022. Until then, let's hope he tones donw the ego and learn from this.

Yes the loss is disappointing but not the end of the world. We lost to a very well coached Haiti who downed the same Costa Rica that took it to Mexico. What matters now Is getting all hands on deck for the CNL and not making those mistakes against the US and advance to the Championship playoffs 

Hopefully he could learn some more from Mexico about how to deal with a physical and direct team.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Haiti beat Costa Rica. Might be time to recognize Haiti for what it is, a strong team, not a minnow

I never mentioned anything about Haiti being a minnow (if I did, quote me). 
Haiti being a strong team, has just made the hex harder to get too. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

People need to calm down about Herdman. I'm not excusing anything, he was clearly outcoached by Marc Collat. I didn't like his line up against Haiti either and how he managed the 2nd half.

It's disappointing but will be a valuable learning experience going forward. I'd rather see those f--- ups here and now, than in World Cup Qualifiers.

Herdman needs to calm down himself before you can expect people to calm down about him. Like whats been mentioned many times before the loss - he's in over his head, and his CV speaks for it.

My frustration came before the Haiti loss. He overthought himself from the Mexico game. Two games where he needed at least 1 win to stake his claim. 

We can only prepare for Martinique, Cuba, Dominica, French Guiana and US Virgin Islands for so much....at some point we'll need a manager who knows how to prepare against better teams. 

What worries me is:

When your team lead 2:0 in a knock out stage game, 

A stupid coach would park the bus, 

A smart coach would reinforce midfield and protect the flank being constant attacked.

A top notch coach would alter for a better way to counter attack. 

Did Herdman belong to any of them? No

Edited by lamptern

For reasons I've already posted, I think Herdman absolutely should be fired. Especially if this is a "new" Canada with higher expectations. "Old" Canada would have an old boys club manager or keep them on for budgetary reasons. Oh, wait.

The more things change.......

Herdman was on KJ and Caldwell's podcast today.  Some notes from Herdman:

- nations league games we played never really prepared us for that moment, so that was first place I started, whether our prep had been strong enough

- at half time we felt Haiti were in the game, 3rd goal was critical for us

- we showed 3 clips at half time, one to show how we could open them up, we hadn't stretched them enough side to side

- then we showed there was too much space between our back four and the midfield

- third was transition, triangles they kept creating behind Godinho, making sure he was aware about staying home more

- sense boys were in a fight mentally and physically, different feeling, they knew it'd be a tougher second half

- engaging every player, asking for eye contact

- second half started well until moment that turned the game

- wanted to bring on Kayes physicality as well as rest Osorio for Mexico which was a 2 day turn around, Kaye brings more steel and strentgh

- 4-1-4-1 to get Atiba closer to centre backs, thought it would be a good solution

- after goal, team was rocked, in a panic, composure lost, completely lost rythm, decision making on height of our lines, out of sorts

- we had Piette ready to come in to holding mid and take Arfield out to secure structure, seconds before penalty, wish I'd put him in earlier

- once second goal went in, we went looking for goals again

- Davies at LB is always situational based on what game needs and what you want in a winger, he has confidence to play at LB, we want our fullbacks high and wide

- everyone knew who he was going in to tournament, other teams plan was if you stop Davies you stop Canada, so we put him in position where he could arrive in attacking places later with more space

- with Adekugbe unavailable and deJong injured, Morgan not a great amount of playing time, Davies was a player who could play that role well

- in this GC we had David and Cavallini scoring 11 goals, Junior has scored goals as well this year, biggest challenge is need to build depth on defence

- my philosophy has been put best players on the pitch, and if you've got a square peg in a round hole, you've got to build around that

- Davies did well at LB, he's ok there, to have him and Osorio and Hoilett combining on the left side is a part of a winning formula

- devastation after game, but bond is stronger between players, sheer frustration is that moment where you need calm, composure, need someone to put an arm around Godinho, no one did, and thats what killed us, something as simple as bringing the group together and refocusing on the field, didn't happen

- we've put a lot of work into the culture, but that's a piece that's not there yet, we have to build that by playing tough matches, we've got to make sure we have more of those matches, we have USA coming, part of my reflection will be to target more games in those windows, to push to have those extra games

We were up 2-0. The third goal wasnt critical for us. Haiti was known for their counter attack. Us going for the third goal opened us up to their only threat, the counter attack. 

The msg should have been to kill the game with professional fouls, take no chances and punt the ball out. As time went on haiti wouldve had to throw numbers forward and we pounce on that chance. 

We did not need a third goal against a team who thrives on the counter attack. 

Also osorio was taken off up 2-1 so he could rest for mexico? Jesus, talk about looking ahead and not respecting your opponent.

glad he speaks to more friendlies

Ps. Thank u for posting that summary. 

Edited by king1010

Also curious about the adekugbe omission because he returned to play for his club team in between our first and second games. His injury time table seemed to be the same as Henrys. 

And no mention of leaving cordova at home. 

Lastly square peg round whole philosophy, not sure i agree with that. May need actual defenders on the field. 

Edited by king1010

49 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

He also mentioned he'd recently been in touch with his "mentors" and got some feedback on the Haiti match.  Made me think of this tweet:

Canadian soccer really is a sh*t show. Zambrano is ousted in a coup by the old boys, and a yes man seemingly gets the job without competition. Yes man loses, and all of a sudden he's a hothead who doesn't listen (to an old boy that installed him). It's no wonder we keep running but not going anywhere. This quote, if true, is really disgusting and yet so telling.

8 minutes ago, BCM said:

Canadian soccer really is a sh*t show. Zambrano is ousted in a coup by the old boys, and a yes man seemingly gets the job without competition. Yes man loses, and all of a sudden he's a hothead who doesn't listen (to an old boy that installed him). It's no wonder we keep running but not going anywhere. This quote, if true, is really disgusting and yet so telling.

Who is the “technical voice” being referred to?

8 hours ago, BCM said:

Ask @Duane Rollins, and while you're at it you may wish to ask why no journalist has asked or reported on the events leading to Zambrano's firing...but all were quick to say "everyone" knew of the issues.

Ahhhhh. You referred to the "old boy who installed him" so I thought you might have some insider info on who specifically that was.

2-0 lead and a mind on the next game seems odd.  Taking Osorio off for Mexico?  etc etc.  Herdman talks the talk, but demonstrated naivite when it mattered most.  This was his first big test and he failed. One failed test is not enough, but it seems like they failed mentally, which is exactly the aspect of the team Herdman was most expected to improve? 

On 7/9/2019 at 6:13 PM, Ruud said:

...  Herdman talks the talk, but demonstrated naivite when it mattered most.  This was his first big test and he failed. One failed test is not enough, but it seems like they failed mentally, ...

Depends how badly he failed the test and you would need to have been directly involved or very close to the team to have the full picture on that. They weren't slow about pulling the trigger where Octavio Zambrano was concerned for whatever the reasons were that are never shared by those who claim to be in the know.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-coach-herdman-still-positive-despite-wc-qualifying-changes/

Herdman said Canada will also have to pick its friendly games with an eye to the best way of accumulating points.

South American opponents appear to be those most available in the international windows, he added.

But it still may not be enough. And Herdman says Canada can’t just schedule friendlies willy-nilly, arguing that playing a game three days in advance of a key showdown with the U.S. would not help his team.

"It’s a risk-reward situation and we have to navigate it very carefully," Herdman said. "It isn’t just pulling games out of the sky. We have to be very deliberate."

Edited by Shway

Reading that article really makes you believe they definitely thought it was going to be concacaf rankings to determine the top 6 in hex. Really unfortunate cause we probably end up  holding #6 or move up to #5  with a result vs the USA in  the "concacaf ranking index".

Would have been so amazing to actually be in the hex, still possible I guess. Regardless, exciting times ahead this fall, and yes, I have now finally entered "the stage of Acceptance" with this WCQ format.  At this point, no point in complaining anymore, we just need to win!

Edited by apbsmith

Japans J league is equivalent to Brazil's top flight in Herdman's eyes? 

And Mexico and Belgium are better than Brazil and Argentina's leagues?

I guess thats why he doesn't rate Cordova. If he thinks Argentina and Brazil are tier 3 leagues, he probably thinks Chile is USL caliber. 

Edited by king1010

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Japans J league is equivalent to Brazil's top flight in Herdman's eyes? 

And Mexico and Belgium are better than Brazil and Argentina's leagues?

I guess thats why he doesn't rate Cordova. If he thinks Argentina and Brazil are tier 3 leagues, he probably thinks Chile is USL caliber. 

I don't understand what this comment stems from?  Where does he talk about J-league vs Brazil?  

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Regardless, exciting times ahead this fall, and yes, I have now finally entered "the stage of Acceptance" with this WCQ format.  At this point, no point in complaining anymore, we just need to win!

Even if we have to play the other tournament, the biggest threats would be possibly Panama, Haiti, Salvador and Curacao. If we don't win that damn tournament, we have no business in the HEX, let alone World Cup.

How likely were we to do better than 4th in HEX? Would the USMNT self-destruct twice in a row?

Anyway you put it, it looked like Intercontinental playoffs for us