Herdman new head coach

matty

13 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Herdman has proved nothing yet.  This Gold Cup qualification just means his job is safe until the next round.  We’ll wait and see how he does at the Gold Cup.

I agree with this. The problem that I was alluding to is the several people who have had the pitch forks out since day one. They are missing the "wait and see" part.

Just now, Kent said:

I agree with this. The problem that I was alluding to is the several people who have had the pitch forks out since day one. They are missing the "wait and see" part.

And before anyone brings it up, yes I also believe Zambrano got fired too quickly.

Herdman has achieved what he was supposed to do so far, because of the level of competition it’s hard to get a definite read on his tactics, that will come with time once we get playing stronger opponents! I was ok with his starting 11 and formation yesterday, I wasn’t overly impressed with his substitutions as others have mentioned!

Let's keep things in perspective too before we start comparing ourselves to how much better we did in this tourney in comparison to Jamaica and El Salvador (as Herdman did post-game) - we had a far easier schedule than either of those two teams, with one of our road matches actually being at a neutral site in Florida and we had probably the 2nd weakest Pot A opponent to face (assuming Guadaloupe was the weakest). The Pot B team we beat ended up 2-2, unlike the Pot B team that El Salvador lost to (Bermuda) who we might actually face in League A in the Champions League.

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

How does everyone feel about the one and only player that played every minute in qualifying?  Pretty surprising to me that he got the nod the past two matches.

Are you referring to Cornelius? Yes it is surprising but if James was called he would not have played. Just speaks volumes about our lack of CB depth

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Are you referring to Cornelius? Yes it is surprising but if James was called he would not have played. Just speaks volumes about our lack of CB depth

We don’t have a lack of CB depth, we have a lack of quality.  Cornelius, Henry, James, Edgar, Jakovic, Vitoria, Hainault, Straith, Miller, Attakora, Ouimette is pretty deep depth there are just no stand outs.  We could have injuries to about 5-6 central defenders without experiencing a real drop in quality.

This makes starting and playing Cornelius every minute all the more questionable.  When we had James, Henry and Cornelius available in March it was Doneil who sat. 

14 hours ago, Keegan said:

We don’t have a lack of CB depth, we have a lack of quality.  Cornelius, Henry, James, Edgar, Jakovic, Vitoria, Hainault, Straith, Miller, Attakora, Ouimette is pretty deep depth there are just no stand outs.  We could have injuries to about 5-6 central defenders without experiencing a real drop in quality.

This makes starting and playing Cornelius every minute all the more questionable.  When we had James, Henry and Cornelius available in March it was Doneil who sat. 

Maybe that's exactly why Herdman has shortened that list? Because he is trying to at least increase familiarity of the young ones and develop them for the future. Because we are weak in that position he is trying to focus only on 4-5 players in that position so that they get all the help they can get. In theory, it makes sense.

I had a chance to take a 2nd look at the match last night, the system JH is playing is interesting, there is a lot of movement and interchanging of positions especially in the back line! Piette was often playing as a CB on the numerous occasions when the left or right back pushed up and the CB’s would shift over leaving Henry or Cornelius isolated in a fullback position, they coped well on Sunday, I wonder if we’ll try to continue this against stronger opponents?

On 3/3/2019 at 4:06 AM, Grizzly said:

I think I need to bond with Macksam and Herdman taking some verhallucinogenic red pills and listening to hours of Jordan Peterson lectures that don't make sense but nevertheless make a lot more sense than this while we are all living in a van down by the river!

Can I accompany this gathering?

• 3 months later...

So Canada crash out of the Gold Cup in the quarterfinals losing to Haiti. As other have mentioned, Zambrano did more with less, despite the Herdman hype.

For those of us who didn't like the appointment, his tactics and/or the way he deployed the team, this is a tough pill to swallow. Honestly, I am having a hard time holding myself back and not calling for his head. a "real" footballing nation would absolutely sack the manager after a result like this. But Canada, who handed Herdman the job (firing a perfectly good, maybe even great manager) and an 8 year contract... yeah, I don't think he's going anywhere :/

This narrative I've heard about "looking forward to a real test" is so infuriating. Use friendlies if you want to play against stiffer competition. But Herdman had no interest in that, which blows my mind. Yes, crushing minnows is fun and Canada under Herdman has been good at that. However, I was not impressed with his tactics or the result against Mexico, and of course losing to Haiti - especially with the kind of talent Canada can boast now - is borderline shocking.

Also, the LB/RB issue was seen even by supporters from miles away. It definitely came back to bite us, and this is all on Herdman.

So, what are my fellow Vs feelings on the manager? I've been suspicious since day one, and today I'm pretty upset. Herdman was always on a super short leash for me. If by some miracle he got sacked, I would be happy. But I know that will probably never happen; at least not for a few years (if ever) <_< 

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

So Canada crash out of the Gold Cup in the quarterfinals losing to Haiti. As other have mentioned, Zambrano did more with less, despite the Herdman hype.....But Canada, who handed Herdman the job (firing a perfectly good, maybe even great manager)

Herdman does like to hype himself up to an unbearable degree...talking about playing Mexico twice...WFT was that.

OZ may have been a better tactician (maybe Floro was too for that matter), but what was OZ truly doing during his scouting trips? Did he really shit on Eustaquio? Oz is also not that classy on twitter... he is clearly still bitter.

Although we will never get it, I want a full account of what occurred behind the scenes from all the parties involved. You cannot make an informed judgment without that. 

Earlier in this thread theres probably a bunch of posts that I made disagreeing with his appointment (and zambranos firing). Over the course of the year i got over it with the results. But this definitely reignites the discussion.

I mean he may be a good leader, but some of those tactics and decisions were terrible. Taking osorio off killed any link play in the midfield. Kaye was clearly less than 100%, if that was the case bring on Piette. 

A lot of us were calling for zbg to start to deal with the speed of haitis counter attack. He didnt. Godinho started and right away you saw Haiti double attack down his flank and Herdman did nothing to adjust. 

Taking cav off was a mind boggling decision, if the intention was to push davies up then he coudlve dropped hutch into defence and pushed henry or cornellius out wide or just gone with 3 at the back. 

Not to mention he put the team in a position to fail by not calling up cordova and james(realize hes a CB). We knew our fullbacks were our weakness. Our coach did nothing to mitigate that concern, neither in the 23 man selection(cordova) pre game starting 11 selection(zbg) or in game subs(zbg). 

Given his tight connection to the CSA i dont see them sacking him unless he fails to qualify for the world cup. Heck i could see us making the hex, not qualifying for world cup but the csa using the hex as justification for keeping him through 2026. 

Edited by king1010

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

So Canada crash out of the Gold Cup in the quarterfinals losing to Haiti. As other have mentioned, Zambrano did more with less, despite the Herdman hype.

For those of us who didn't like the appointment, his tactics and/or the way he deployed the team, this is a tough pill to swallow. Honestly, I am having a hard time holding myself back and not calling for his head. a "real" footballing nation would absolutely sack the manager after a result like this. But Canada, who handed Herdman the job (firing a perfectly good, maybe even great manager) and an 8 year contract... yeah, I don't think he's going anywhere 😕

This narrative I've heard about "looking forward to a real test" is so infuriating. Use friendlies if you want to play against stiffer competition. But Herdman had no interest in that, which blows my mind. Yes, crushing minnows is fun and Canada under Herdman has been good at that. However, I was not impressed with his tactics or the result against Mexico, and of course losing to Haiti - especially with the kind of talent Canada can boast now - is borderline shocking.

Also, the LB/RB issue was seen even by supporters from miles away. It definitely came back to bite us, and this is all on Herdman.

So, what are my fellow Vs feelings on the manager? I've been suspicious since day one, and today I'm pretty upset. Herdman was always on a super short leash for me. If by some miracle he got sacked, I would be happy. But I know that will probably never happen; at least not for a few years (if ever) <_< 

I want to give him Nation's Leagu. NL qualifying wasnt a huge test, and while that last 45 is crushing, the rest of the tournament is a relative success. 

Clean slate when he started. Thin ice now for me. But not canned yet.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If we lose to the USA at home but qualify for the Olympics because all the young guns are down in Costa Rica, I will be happy.

I hope we don’t send our best young players. Senior team trumps all other competitions.

Edited by SkuseisLoose