Herdman new head coach

matty

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Complete step down for him professionally, and I think he has too many opportunities to go back to NZ if it was a lifestyle question. 

but what does that say about Canada soccer? What do they have that we don’t? If we lose Herdman to NZ, that says a lot about who we are as a soccer nation.

I have to disagree, I think it says more about John Herdman than Canada as a soccer nation, look at his past negotiations!

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I have to disagree, I think it says more about John Herdman than Canada as a soccer nation, look at his past negotiations!

We have a deeper player pool, we are, and will continue to be a better team, we’re hosting a World Cup, we’re going to play in a Copa America, he’s built our program from the ground up, I mean, if he considers all of that and still goes to NZ, then there has to be some damning reason he chooses them over us. 

25 minutes ago, gator said:

I like to think we have progressed as a soccer nation and supporters will be more demanding of the CSA and will not support an inside the old boys club hire! 

Based on what? the Earl Cochrane hire? The Bontis shenanigans? LOL@ thinking the CSA gives a shit about the supporters opinion

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Based on what? the Earl Cochrane hire? The Bontis shenanigans? LOL@ thinking the CSA gives a shit about the supporters opinion

This is actually a good point.

Maybe it's not even about the money or prestige.

Maybe he's sick of the CSA. 

Now watch the US swoop in to add insult to injury 

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Seriously. This seems to be a sort of dickish pattern and people still want to defend it

If this is some negotiation tactic, I'm all for it.  I think this is actually the respectful way to do it. 

If you have an offer from somewhere else, bring it to your manager.  They then can decide whether you're worth the extra cash or let you walk.  I much prefer that than an employee just handing in their 2 weeks with no discussion.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

This is actually a good point.

Maybe it's not even about the money or prestige.

Maybe he's sick of the CSA. 

Now watch the US swoop in to add insult to injury 

Let's wait for the facts to play out but I could see this as the main reason. In hindsight, I remember watching him interviewed during the Vancouver shitshow and how dejected he looked about that situation. World cup is over and nothing is resolved yet for these players. 

NewZealand  would fit his style though...he loves going to a situation where there's a rebuilding challenge and starting from scratch. 

I don’t get it, like if it’s money driven sure but he’s overplaying his hand.

people are saying we would do worse…

That is wrong.

We wouldn’t get an amazing manager, but there would be a lineup to coach this team. We had a good World Cup in the strongest group… we have 2 young top players, and a top midfielder in Staq, with a very promising one in Kone.

Not to mention when have some very interesting prospects for the future, we are clearly on the rise and would have some interesting candidates should Herdman leave.

CSA should call his bluff.

9 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

The article doesn't actually seem as confident as the headline.

the article leads off with this:  "Former Football Ferns coach John Herdman has been identified as the preferred candidate to become the next coach of the All Whites."

Uh...that's very different from the headline.   But if it happens, so be it.  What can we do but move on and hope John left processes and a framework that someone else can continue to build on

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

I think New Zealand makes a lot of sense.

With Canada now he has expectations. His coaching failed at the World Cup. Canada won't have to qualify, so all the games are friendlies which don't suit a motivational coach like him. And then, with the lack of intense preparation and a less strong "brotherhood", there is the risk of the team tanking at home. It's iffy for him from here on in, with a risk of looking like he was a fluke or plateaued or started the slide down in his career.

A motivator like Herdman needs a mission. New Zealand has a great shot at the World Cup but is underdog enough to give him some fire to spread amongst the squad.

Canada will still play more competitive matches than New Zealand still. New Zealand’s most competitive fixture from here until 2026 will be Fiji away. We’ll have 2 nations leagues, 2 gold cups and a Copa America (hopefully). 

If the CSA doesn't have the money to pay Herdman, what makes us think they will have enough money for a 'seasoned' manager? This is a CSA issue and not a John Herdman issue... I like having De Vos and Biello as part of the team but would they really fit if they are given the job? Which other managers could you attract if they weren't going to be paid well? Some out of contract manager that has been looking for work for 3 years?

30 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t get it, like if it’s money driven sure but he’s overplaying his hand.

people are saying we would do worse…

That is wrong.

We wouldn’t get an amazing manager, but there would be a lineup to coach this team. We had a good World Cup in the strongest group… we have 2 young top players, and a top midfielder in Staq, with a very promising one in Kone.

Not to mention when have some very interesting prospects for the future, we are clearly on the rise and would have some interesting candidates should Herdman leave.

CSA should call his bluff.

Sure we may have a lineup but how many will actually accept the job if we are paying our coaches less than New Zealand?  In the end, it all comes down to money.

I will believe it when I see it. As @cornerkick suggests, the discrepancy between the headline and the lead sentence in the article are not exactly a match. That's a potential red flag.

Would be heart breaking to see the relationship between him and this group end. Feels like there is unfinished business - not getting out of the group at WC and not winning a tournament in CONCACAF yet. Lots to achieve and we certainly have the players to do it, so why jump ship now? If there's something personal going on, then our hands are tied and it wasn't meant to be for 2026, but I have trouble believing there is anything to this. Possibly a negotiation tactic? He had an offer from the England women's team last go around, supposedly, now he seems to have an offer from New Zealand, which is probably true, but I would like to think an improved CSA contract is his plan A and NZ is plan B. 

Let's see what happens, I guess.  

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I will believe it when I see it. As @cornerkick suggests, the discrepancy between the headline and the lead sentence in the article are not exactly a match. That's a potential red flag.

Would be heart breaking to see the relationship between him and this group. Feels like there is unfinished business - not getting out of the group at WC and not winning a tournament in CONCACAF yet. Lots to achieve and we certainly have the players to do it, so why jump ship now? If there's something personal going on, then our hands are tied and it wasn't meant to be for 2026, but I have trouble believing there is anything to this. Possibly a negotiation tactic? He had an offer from the England women's team last go around, supposedly, now he seems to have an offer from New Zealand, which is probably true, but I would like to think an improved CSA contract is his plan A and NZ is plan B. 

Let's see what happens,   

I’ve checked all the major news sources in NZ

The last being 1News. They wouldn’t report on something if it didn’t have substantial weight behind it and a direct quote from NZF chief exec.

“New Zealand Football announced today they had a preferred candidate but a family health situation had delayed negotiations.

“The reality is in life sometimes you get curve balls and this is a family health situation that couldn't be avoided and came from the blue,” New Zealand Football chief executive Andrew Pragnell said.”

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/02/01/canada-coach-john-herdman-on-nzfs-radar-to-lead-all-whites/

Edited by ob1