Herdman new head coach

matty

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Seriously. This seems to be a sort of dickish pattern and people still want to defend it

For most people, this is the only way to get a raise from your employer. I'd be surprised that Herdman would go this far into the process as just a nego tactic (maybe NZ's CEO leaked this when he wasn't supposed to), but absolutely everyone reading this should 1000% leverage offers from other jobs if you want to increase your wages, whether you're working for small wages, or you're the head coach of a national team.

6 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I wonder if this info was leaked by the CSA through the lines. Maybe I’m wrong, but it kinda feels like the writing is on the wall. I don’t really care if he goes, as I don’t think he can take this team to another level like others have mentioned, it’s the replacement that concerns me 

Leaking to a reporter in New Zeeland is giving a lot of credit to a group that struggles to announce rosters.

11 hours ago, narduch said:

Leveraging a new contract by leaking a far worse job to play rivals like Guam and American Somoa with the sole goal of winning an eventual playoff vs. Paraguay to get to play a World Cup match in Texas. 

I'm cynical, but if you think about it, it is really pathetic. If you are going to drum up a rumour with your buddies in the press to pressure the CSA, make it something that breathes respect. Imagine you are going to Bulgaria or Finland, or a team in the Championship. Not New Zealand, which in any case would be personally and professionally a step back.

What the CSA should most definitely do if he goes is hire someone with prestige and pay him 30% more, on a matter of principle. Since Ancellotti is rumoured to be on his way out at Real Madrid if they don't win league or Champions this year, I'd take him, starting in early June. Pay him significantly more than Herdman made, and go from there.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

This isn’t about trying to get a better deal. Any potential deal for Herdman would come at the expense of a potential deal for the players. Until they are settled no coach would make a power play here. if he is, he has really read the room wrong. 

Not necessarily. It could be that the players have come to an agreement and now John is looking at his deal and saying “wait a minute”.

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

I wonder if this info was leaked by the CSA through the lines. Maybe I’m wrong, but it kinda feels like the writing is on the wall. I don’t really care if he goes, as I don’t think he can take this team to another level like others have mentioned, it’s the replacement that concerns me 

As you say the replacement is what should concern us all. The motivational bump only works for a while but wears out. The team met its goal of qualifying for the WC. It's going to be very hard to use the same approach moving forwards. JH's tactical ability was exposed in the WC and that is going to limit progress moving forwards for the CMNT. I can see the CSA going cheap for the next 2/3 yrs as we have qualified for 2026. I really hope the CSA/CSB deal is not handcuffing us. Ancelotti or an experienced technically capable coach is going to cost big bucks. But if Morocco can find a quality coach, perhaps we can.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not necessarily. It could be that the players have come to an agreement and now John is looking at his deal and saying “wait a minute”.

Anything is possible but why would they not announce it?  Both sides would love the good press that comes from the CSA/players coming to agreement. Doesn’t really add up. 

21 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

how soon before  BEV is announced has the new CMNT coach😀

😄 I probably would have laughed at this idea back in 2018, but the Herdman coaching switch definitely taught me that anything is possible when it comes to this stuff. We already made history once, having a men's coach be the first to coach NTs on both sides.......

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Based on what? the Earl Cochrane hire? The Bontis shenanigans? LOL@ thinking the CSA gives a shit about the supporters opinion

Players, coaches and executives come and go, we are the constant and I truly believe the supporters culture and influence for that matter has drastically increased in the 40 years I have supported this program! I have stated my biggest concern is the CSA getting the right hire, it's always a risk, there was a lot of scepticism about the Herdman hire!

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What the CSA should most definitely do if he goes is hire someone with prestige and pay him 30% more, on a matter of principle. Since Ancellotti is rumoured to be on his way out at Real Madrid if they don't win league or Champions this year, I'd take him, starting in early June. Pay him significantly more than Herdman made, and go from there.

Anybody with “prestige” would cost a lot more than +30% of Herdman’s salary.

22 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

As you say the replacement is what should concern us all. The motivational bump only works for a while but wears out. The team met its goal of qualifying for the WC. It's going to be very hard to use the same approach moving forwards. JH's tactical ability was exposed in the WC and that is going to limit progress moving forwards for the CMNT. I can see the CSA going cheap for the next 2/3 yrs as we have qualified for 2026. I really hope the CSA/CSB deal is not handcuffing us. Ancelotti or an experienced technically capable coach is going to cost big bucks. But if Morocco can find a quality coach, perhaps we can.

CSA is not capable of finding a quality coach. Herdman was in the system. He was an easy find. The only good coach was Holger. Everyone else has been crap. 

No coach with WC experience will come here. We are a dumpster fire. Ancheloti ain't coming either. He is not an idiot and we don't have that much money to pay him, for him to ignore the issues in the CSA. Also he is not a Nat team coach. 

This is bot good. We need stability for 26. 

Maybe he's just really into Middle Earth?

In all seriousness, despite the CSA, we still have to be an attractive team to coach at the moment. Rapid ascension in the rankings, capable of qualifying for a WC, looming tournaments like Gold Cup, Copa America, and World Cup. I'm not too, too worried.

We should back up the Brinks truck at Bielsa's house.

Edited by CCrTFC

In Herdman walks, one scenario I could see coming to pass is an interim solution for a couple of years with a CSA-style interim caretaker manager.     And then a year before we host the WC they go all out and try to recruit a coach with reputation (like an Ancelotti but more probably a lower calibre).  May be utopian but that sort of scenario wouldn’t shock me. 

24 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

This isn’t about trying to get a better deal. Any potential deal for Herdman would come at the expense of a potential deal for the players. Until they are settled no coach would make a power play here. if he is, he has really read the room wrong. 

I don't see them being related at all.  The player's are negotiating their portion of winnings (or whatever it is) while the head coach is part of the CSA's budget.  There were supposed to be negotiations on this topic in January.  I would assume there are also expectations after guiding a team to its first World Cup in 36 years.

If another association brings an offer to the table, it isn't a power play to tell the CSA "Look, this is what they've offered me.  I'd like to stay here but I can't just ignore this."  If the CSA are inept at negotiating (which there is a proven track record that that is true) and can't negotiate two topics with two separate entities, why wait on them?

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

In Herdman walks, one scenario I could see coming to pass is an interim solution for a couple of years with a CSA-style interim caretaker manager.     And then a year before we host the WC they go all out and try to recruit a coach with reputation (like an Ancelotti but more probably a lower calibre).  May be utopian but that sort of scenario wouldn’t shock me. 

It wouldn’t shock me but it would be wildly irresponsible and loose for us. Spend money to make money … get to the Copa America and maybe win a trophy in the coming years and I don’t think the price tag on a coach even matters. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

The thing is we have time on our side with not having to qualify for 26 so your scenario could play out and as I posted previously they even have room for a change if an immediate hire doesn't work out!

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I agree

And that has me worried, because no organization knows how to fuck up better then the CSA.

14 minutes ago, CCrTFC said:

We should back up the Brinks truck at Bielsa's house.

What Brinks truck. Isn't the CSA's revenue largely capped because of the CSB deal? We don't play enough games in Canada and there's only so much you can raise from player registration fees