Herdman new head coach

matty

11 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I don't see them being related at all.  The player's are negotiating their portion of winnings (or whatever it is) while the head coach is part of the CSA's budget.  There were supposed to be negotiations on this topic in January.  I would assume there are also expectations after guiding a team to its first World Cup in 36 years.

If another association brings an offer to the table, it isn't a power play to tell the CSA "Look, this is what they've offered me.  I'd like to stay here but I can't just ignore this."  If the CSA are inept at negotiating (which there is a proven track record that that is true) and can't negotiate two topics with two separate entities, why wait on them?

This isn't about negotiating a better deal.  Never has been, which is why that scenario doesn't add up.  It is about getting away from the CSA.  This has been in the pipeline for half a year.

8 minutes ago, gator said:

No doubt they have made many poor decisions over the years but an argument can be made that their most recent hires on the Men's and Women's side were excellent, so there's that!

This is the CSA we are talking about your faith is perplexing.

I would not be surprised if we missed the 26 world cup, they will figure out a way to be first host nation gifted a spot and somehow lose it.

We are one bad hire away from losing the fight for multi’s

Or potential “mysterious bumps and knocks” to Davies, David and Stack every time a crapy Nations League game comes around. 

15 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

This isn't about negotiating a better deal.  Never has been, which is why that scenario doesn't add up.  It is about getting away from the CSA.  This has been in the pipeline for half a year.

Well, if that's the case then they've had an important employee who has been disgruntled for six months.  That's not great for future prospects.

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

...A motivator like Herdman needs a mission. New Zealand has a great shot at the World Cup but is underdog enough to give him some fire to spread amongst the squad.

Oceania gets an automatic berth now with 48 teams. Rugby League, Rugby Union or American sports dominate in many/most of the nations involved because of the Australian, British or American colonial influence so qualification should be relatively straightforward.

Think it's very telling that he isn't getting better job offers than this likely because people who know the game could see he was out of his depth in Qatar. That takes nothing away on what he did to qualify so he'll still be able to find work for a long time off that back of that just not at the very highest level.

From the CSA's standpoint there's no need to qualify next time around and the CMNT's profile has been raised sufficiently that it definitely should be possible to attract applicants with strong CVs around 2025 or so even if the next guy isn't the right fit. Wouldn't be surprised if Herdman was told he was free to look for something else and arrange a face saving exit. There's usually a shelf life in any coaching job and he's probably reached that point with the CMNT.

Waiting to see if this is anything more than a negotation ploy, but reading the comments here from some of the usual suspects is a real trip.

So many that had nothing but negative things to say about Herdman's coaching performance at the World Cup now posting about how there is no chance Canada could do any better with a replacement, and that this is a sign the CSA is in shambles. Pick a lane people.

That said, if all of a sudden Smyrniotis is Canada manager I commit seppuku.

I think Herdman was going to move on regardless. I think whatever decent club position he was in line for in England went south with the whole we're gonna fk Croatia and then the subsequent shitting of the bed by Canada. Im not hating on Herdman, I like him. I think its time to move on and all things considered this is his best opportunity. As they say in Quebec Cest la V. Good luck to him

It would be nice to build and mature for the next 3 1/2 years.  

A guaranteed World Cup with a very exciting young core is a nice carrot, so (being mostly out of the loop) I would think this is mainly his move.  Good luck to him if he things he can build something somewhere else.  Less good luck if he thinks there are no more miracles and just hard work in the future, but understandable I guess. 

Why can't Canada football fans have nice(ish) things?

The job/project is hugely attractive. I am sure many people would be interested. Whether the CSA would hire and pay a decent manager is the bigger question.

Pretty torn on what's going on. No one really knows by the looks of it. Looks like classic Herdman haggling for a new contract. I don't think they way this is playing out endears him to anyone though. Just bloody strange.

If it is a negotiating tactic, the fact there is a split response of people happy if he moves on or stays has probably backfired already. He will lose face on this either way which is dissapointing.

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Waiting to see if this is anything more than a negotation ploy, but reading the comments here from some of the usual suspects is a real trip.

So many that had nothing but negative things to say about Herdman's coaching performance at the World Cup now posting about how there is no chance Canada could do any better with a replacement, and that this is a sign the CSA is in shambles. Pick a lane people.

That said, if all of a sudden Smyrniotis is Canada manager I commit seppuku.

I like Herdman, but my problem isn’t even with whether or not he’s a good coach or not. It’s the fact that our head coach is apparently interested in an offer from a far lesser team, and that tells me that if true, he has issues with the program itself which is obviously a massive issue

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

CSA is not capable of finding a quality coach. Herdman was in the system. He was an easy find. The only good coach was Holger. Everyone else has been crap. 

No coach with WC experience will come here. We are a dumpster fire. Ancheloti ain't coming either. He is not an idiot and we don't have that much money to pay him, for him to ignore the issues in the CSA. Also he is not a Nat team coach. 

This is bot good. We need stability for 26. 

At this stage I’m in the camp that many good coaches are available no matter what.  It’s a good team and a good job.  But the fact that the players still have no deal and World Cup for women upcoming is a huge red flag. 

The possibility of Herdman leaving is strong regardless of what Canada Soccer does; there are always club and national team jobs around the corner.  As others have said, what contingencies do they have if it happens.  We are in the (semi) big time, is Canada Soccer able to make the important decisions and does it even have the money to make them?  I'm quietly confident but it is based on hope rather than anything else.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I like Herdman, but my problem isn’t even with whether or not he’s a good coach or not. It’s the fact that our head coach is apparently interested in an offer from a far lesser team, and that tells me that if true, he has issues with the program itself which is obviously a massive issue

I like Herdman too, and defended him in a lot of the Qatar threads, but he has some characteristics as a manager (ego!) to suggest that if there is an issue, there's a good chance at least some of it is on his end. He's been working within the CSA for 12 years, so it would be surprising if all of a sudden there are organizational issues he is bumping up against (and the blame for some organizational issues probably has to fall to him as well given his positions).

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I like Herdman too, and defended him in a lot of the Qatar threads, but he has some characteristics as a manager (ego!) to suggest that if there is an issue, there's a good chance at least some of it is on his end. He's been working within the CSA for 12 years, so it would be surprising if all of a sudden there are organizational issues he is bumping up against (and the blame for some organizational issues probably has to fall to him as well given his positions).

Wouldn't say all of a sudden, but when you get the opportunity to qualify for the WC and make it, issues end up on the backburner.  No player or coach was going to move on after they made it to Qatar but now that the WC is over, the players and coaches have the leverage.

Love him or not JH was able to get all the players on the same page. There were no holdouts because of any issues with him.  Perhaps a bit too  close to the players but as someone posted in 2006 we had more top 5 league players with a strong supporting cast and still didn't  progress out of Concacaf.

44 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

He isn't the only one planning on leaving.  

It would be nice to know if this is based on some sort of reliable intel (even if you aren’t at liberty to discuss it in anyway). A lot of people talk out of their ass on topics like this, or pass off speculation and opinion as fact.  Not saying you are doing any of that - but you are making some pretty big claims in the context of this discussion so a bit of context would be helpful.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It would be nice to know if this is based on some sort of reliable intel (even if you aren’t at liberty to discuss it in anyway). A lot of people talk out of their ass on topics like this, or pass off speculation and opinion as fact.  Not saying you are doing any of that - but you are making some pretty big claims in the context of this discussion so a bit of context would be helpful.  

Reliable info. No ass talking here.