Herdman new head coach

matty

Seems like some wreckless tweeting by people who aren't proper journalists.  It's clear that Herdman is in negotiations with New Zealand and Canada.   Who wouldn't use leverage to get the best deal for his family.  I still think Canada matches what New Zealand offers.  If you want to coach club football, leading Canada who will play the gold cup 2023, potential for Copa 2024, Gold cup 2025 and world cup 2026 gives you your best opportunity.  If he leaves for New Zealand the money would have to be a lot more.

While I don’t see it happening, there are a couple factors that could entice him to New Zealand. For one, his son is eligible for them and they’re basically guaranteed a spot at the 2026 World Cup. So it is a legitimate chance to coach his son at a World Cup. 

On the other hand, probably not a great career move to leave a team like ours when it will be hosting the World Cup. 

9 minutes ago, theaub said:

This 100%.

But it's under the assumption that Herdman was going to stick around long term. If he isn't committed through 2026 - which I've always suspected - then I'd rather have it happen now and sell the replacement on a build up with Gold Cup / Nations / Copa / WC 2026 as their own, rather than a "oh shit, find me a warm body" situation. 

It's not like he hasn't dipped on a team with little notice before. 

Edited by Califax

19 minutes ago, Califax said:

But it's under the assumption that Herdman was going to stick around long term. If he isn't committed through 2026 - which I've always suspected - then I'd rather have it happen now and sell the replacement on a build up with Gold Cup / Nations / Copa / WC 2026 as their own, rather than a "oh shit, find me a warm body" situation. 

It's not like he hasn't dipped on a team with little notice before. 

If Herdman leaves, here is exactly what is going to happen:

March - Mauro Biello is named as interim coach.  We will perform poorly against Honduras and squeak by Curacao.

April - Bontis and Cochrane will wax poetic about the hundreds of applications we've received.

May - Rumours will abound about possible candidates: "Was that Ancellotti in Vancouver?" "Did someone re-animate Guus Hiddink?"  "I'm pretty sure I saw Rene Simoes leave the CSA offices yesterday!"

June - Two weeks before the Gold Cup, Mauro Biello will be made Head Coach and Bontis/Cochrane will cite "keeping continuity from the World Cup" as the main driving factor behind the choice.

July - Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" gets a resurgence on Spotify because for some reason it gets added to thousands of playlists belonging to malcontents in Canada.

I wish I was joking.

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

Ancelotti would be a very unlikely dream, other than that I really don’t know any good Canadian soccer managers who would take this job it’s likely gonna end up being biello.

I am in no way wanting Herdman out.  Despite some obvious miscues along the way, he still has my full support.  

Having said that, if he does choose to leave, I hope the CSA would find the wisdom to pursue Ancelotti.  There is so much to love about that idea.  He retired but the international game is completely different than the club grind.  He has a natural affinity for Canada and would love to see us do well.  He has the experience and gravitas to immediately command the respect of the team (even the bigger egos).  And you know he would be as tactically astute and prepared as any coach could possibly be.  

I still support Herdman but if I was the CSA I would be putting some feelers out via backchannels to see if this is a viable plan B.  Herdman may be using NZ for leverage - and if so it is perfectly fine for the CSA to do the same thing to let Herdman know we aren’t being held at ransom.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

53 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

While I don’t see it happening, there are a couple factors that could entice him to New Zealand. For one, his son is eligible for them and they’re basically guaranteed a spot at the 2026 World Cup. So it is a legitimate chance to coach his son at a World Cup. 

On the other hand, probably not a great career move to leave a team like ours when it will be hosting the World Cup. 

I think New Zealand makes a lot of sense.

With Canada now he has expectations. His coaching failed at the World Cup. Canada won't have to qualify, so all the games are friendlies which don't suit a motivational coach like him. And then, with the lack of intense preparation and a less strong "brotherhood", there is the risk of the team tanking at home. It's iffy for him from here on in, with a risk of looking like he was a fluke or plateaued or started the slide down in his career.

A motivator like Herdman needs a mission. New Zealand has a great shot at the World Cup but is underdog enough to give him some fire to spread amongst the squad.

Edited by The Real Marc

4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

If Herdman leaves, here is exactly what is going to happen:

March - Mauro Biello is named as interim coach.  We will perform poorly against Honduras and squeak by Curacao.

April - Bontis and Cochrane will wax poetic about the hundreds of applications we've received.

May - Rumours will abound about possible candidates: "Was that Ancellotti in Vancouver?" "Did someone re-animate Guus Hiddink?"  "I'm pretty sure I saw Rene Simoes leave the CSA offices yesterday!"

June - Two weeks before the Gold Cup, Mauro Biello will be made Head Coach and Bontis/Cochrane will cite "keeping continuity from the World Cup" as the main driving factor behind the choice.

July - Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" gets a resurgence on Spotify because for some reason it gets added to thousands of playlists belonging to malcontents in Canada.

I wish I was joking.

We lose to Honduras and Copa is not a guarantee.  2 2nd place teams make the Copa in 24.  If Jon does leave, I'm all in on the Liverpool train.  A knockout in the round of 16 of Champions League and a 2nd place finish in La Liga might be enough to get a manager sacked from Real Madrid..lol. 

4 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I think New Zealand makes a lot of sense.

With Canada now he has expectations. His motivational coaching failed at the World Cup. Canada won't have to qualify, so all the games are friendlies which don't suit a coach like him. And then the risk of the team tanking at home. It's riskier for him from here on in, with a risk of looking like he has plateaued or started the slide down in his career.

A motivator like Herdman needs a mission. New Zealand has a great shot at the World Cup but is underdog enough to give him some fire to spread amongst the squad.

John's still a young man.  Getting results against Conembol nations in the Copa and getting results in 26 world cup is the thing that would give him opportunites at club football.  Canada likely has a greater opportunity to play higher ranked nations in friendlies.  I'm shocked he's leaving, if that is indeed the case. 

I am not as negative about this news if it in fact happens as some of you, yes I am concerned about the CSA's ability to get the right hire but 4 years is a long time and even if the 1st hire doesn't work out there will be another chance to get it right! I like to think we have progressed as a soccer nation and supporters will be more demanding of the CSA and will not support an inside the old boys club hire! Herdman has done wonders for the program but there is a shelf life for most managers not named Ferguson, after what for me was a disappointing showing at the WC I welcome a change and some new tactical ideas, once again we are at the mercy of the CSA not completely screwing up the hire! Herdman has shown he is a salesman which probably helped bring in some dual nationals, the program should be better at selling itself now and JH was always going to looking for other opportunities, his record shows that, I hope this works out for all parties!