General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Another issue re potential 30 man squad. JH will want to get straight down to tactics, set pieces and prep to play Suriname in the 2nd game. Having 30 players to manage is going to be challenging, especially if they have not been to a CMNT camp before. We may see 1 or 2 "new" players max. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I agree that if it wasn't for injuries, TFC covid and France non-Euro travel, Oso, David, Kennedy & Henry would have been part of the March WCQ squad.  Tajon is making a strong case  playing first team footie. If  we can take a squad of 30 and play some vs Aruba  per@Olympique_de_Marseille  all those players could be included.  What's the chance of that though given  the CSA also has the GC to cover $$$. I just think it's highly unlikely we  see player overlap between WCQ/GC. 

I don't think adding an extra 7 to 10 players is what will make or break things in terms of financials. Hopefully you have Aruba hosting in Florida and so there is an extended camp at IMG.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

An you provide the coles notes?  I probably won’t listen for an hr 

I find there's so much soccer content on podcasts these days that I completely miss, and I think get's missed by many.

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I find there's so much soccer content on podcasts these days that I completely miss, and I think get's missed by many.

Personally I'm not a fan of podcasts. Too much chit chat to pad the length of the podcast, and you can't easily reference it and look it up in the future.

But I'm probably just old. I do read a lot of chit chat on here (and evidently produce a lot too), so maybe my time isn't as scarce as I like to think it is.

So much fill for soccer coming up because not only do we have the Canada matches against Aruba and Suriname but right after that are the EUROs which start on June 11th

Then Copa America 2021 starting June 13th

And then right after is the Gold Cup but it isn't until July 10th

But back to Canada, as soon as we finish off these 2 games for World Cup qualifying, it makes me wonder who Hardman drops or who he includes in our 23 man squad for Gold Cup 2021

8 hours ago, Kent said:

Personally I'm not a fan of podcasts. Too much chit chat to pad the length of the podcast, and you can't easily reference it and look it up in the future.

But I'm probably just old. I do read a lot of chit chat on here (and evidently produce a lot too), so maybe my time isn't as scarce as I like to think it is.

Everything you just said.  

8 hours ago, Kent said:

they’re great for commuting or doing repetitive tasks like chores 

16 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Really interesting conversation from Galindo and Nef on if we'll see Jebbison, Dias and Flores in June

15 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

An you provide the coles notes? 

1:16 – Is Vancouver vs. Montreal a derby?

3:42 – Vancouver Whitecaps 2-0 CF Montreal

14:10 – New York Red Bulls 2-0 Toronto FC

26:33 – Predicting who Herdman will call up in June

34:05 – Should Canada be worried about Suriname?

43:10 – Canadians Abroad Mailbag (Flores, Atanasov, Paton, etc.)

55:03 – Jebbison's debut, Hoilett's future, CPL updates and more!

3 hours ago, ADP10 said:

they’re great for commuting or doing repetitive tasks like chores 

This, I literally listen to them when I am working on something. It's like having the TV on, but your not watching just listening. 
I'll rewind parts if I hear something interesting that I was passively listening too. 

But as fan of all things Canadian soccer, Northern Futbol covers just that. If you haven't I would suggest you take them in.

Edited by Shway

14 hours ago, Kent said:

But I'm probably just old.

Seeing this and @Unnamed Trialist rip into another young 'un on another thread makes me think that this board should have a section for Grumpy Old Codgers to sit around and complain how kids don't show enough respect these days.  :)

I'll be there waxing poetic about Richard Hastings and Martin Nash.

Canadians in MLS.  So far year to date we already have seen 38 Canadian or Canadian eligible players receive some minutes this season.

Player Team Position GP GS MP G A
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver ST 6 6 540 1 0
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver LB 6 6 540 0 2
Kamal Miller Montreal CB 6 6 540 0 0
Richie Laryea Toronto RB 5 5 450 1 0
Alistair Johnston Nashville RB 5 5 450 0 0
Mark Anthony Kaye Los Angeles CM 5 5 421 0 1
Russell Teibert Vancouver CM 5 5 417 0 0
Tesho Akindele Orlando ST 5 5 360 1 1
Samuel Piette Montreal CM 4 4 354 0 2
Tajon Buchanan New England RW 6 4 321 0 1
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver CM 4 2 255 0 0
Jay Chapman Miami CM 5 3 250 0 0
Tyler Pasher Houston ST 3 3 239 1 1
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal RB 3 3 235 1 2
Ayo Akinola Toronto ST 4 3 213 0 0
Ralph Priso Toronto CM 4 3 195 0 0
Clement Bayiha Montreal RB 3 2 183 0 0
Luke Singh Toronto CB 2 2 180 1 0
Derek Cornelious Vancouver CB 4 1 140 0 0
Noble Okello Toronto CM 3 2 132 0 0
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal CM 2 1 111 0 0
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto LW 3 1 109 1 0
Jayden Nelson Toronto RW 2 2 101 0 0
Joel Waterman Montreal CB 1 1 90 0 0
Ryan Raposo Vancouver CM 6 1 78 0 0
Zorhan Bassong Montreal LB 3 0 59 0 0
Liam Fraser Columbus (from Toronto) CM 2 0 54 0 0
Jordan Peruzza Toronto ST 1 0 45 0 0
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto CM 2 0 35 0 1
Kamron Habibullah Vancouver CM 2 0 30 0 0
Jonathan Osorio Toronto CM 1 0 29 1 0
Raheem Edwards Los Angeles LW 2 0 25 0 0
Ashtone Morgan Salt Lake LB 1 0 14 0 0
Theo Bair Vancouver ST 1 0 10 0 0
Patrick Metcalfe Vancouver CM 1 0 1 0 0
Damiano Pecile Vancouver (to Venezia) CM          
Simon Colyn Vancouver (to SPAL) CM          
Gianfranco Facchineri Vancouver CB          
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver ST          
Rocco Romeo Toronto (to HB Koge) CB          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto CB          
Sean Rea Montreal (to Valour FC) CM          
Tomas Giraldo Montreal (to FC Edmonton) CM          
Karifa Yao Montreal (to Cavalry FC) CB          
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal (to Atletico Ottawa) CB          
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal ST          
Jean-Aniel Assi Montreal ST          
Nathan-Dylan Saliba Montreal CM          
Rida Zouhir Montreal C          
Callum Montgomery Minnesota CB          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver GK 6 6 540 21 7
Dayne St Clair Minnesota GK 4 4 360 11 10
James Pantemis Montreal GK 1 1 90 1 0
Thomas Hasal Vancouver GK          
Greg Ranjitsingh Philadelphia GK          
Jonathan Sirois Montreal (to Valour FC) GK          
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver GK          
Sebastian Breza Montreal (from Bologna) GK          

So I have somewhat coasted along reading the many posts about our upcoming games, but never really stood back and taken the big picture view of things.  Now, I am wondering about the idea that we would consider fielding a B team for the Gold Cup.  By my count, we have the following games (and potential games) lined up:

June 5 - WCQ vs vs Aruba

June 8 - WCQ vs Suriname

**June 12 - WCQ playoff, possibly against Haiti

**June 15 - WCQ playoff, possibly against Haiti

July 11 - GC vs Martinique

July 15 - GC vs prelim winner

July 18 - GC vs USA

**July 24/25 - GC QF

**July 29 - GC SF

**Aug 1 - GC Finals

(All ** games are dependent on other results )

After that, the next potential games would be the start of the Octo itself, with games in Sept, Oct and Nov.  If we get there, we would want to be as prepared as possible for those Octo games.  Would we really waste the chance to have 3-6 more competitive matches for our first team to work on tactics and cohesion?

I know folks have talked about lingering injuries and the need for a proper summer break, but a lot of our guys are fairly young and would have pretty good powers of recovery.  Plus there is still a one-month layoff between the potential Haiti/whoever games and the start of the Gold Cup.  If I am a coach looking to maximize preparation for possible Octo games (which start in September) that will decide if we get to Qatar,  I don't think I would waste those games between June and September. 

I may be missing some very important info.  This issue may have already been definitively settled by the CSA.  Or I could have my wikipedia-driven scheduling wrong.  But I wonder if the powers that be may take a full strength (or near full strength) squad to the Gold Cup. 

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So I have somewhat coasted along reading the many posts about our upcoming games, but never really stood back and taken the big picture view of things.  Now, I am wondering about the idea that we would consider fielding a B team for the Gold Cup.  By my count, we have the following games (and potential games) lined up:

June 5 - WCQ vs vs Aruba

June 8 - WCQ vs Suriname

**June 12 - WCQ playoff, possibly against Haiti

**June 15 - WCQ playoff, possibly against Haiti

July 11 - GC vs Martinique

July 15 - GC vs prelim winner

July 18 - GC vs USA

**July 24/25 - GC QF

**July 29 - GC SF

**Aug 1 - GC Finals

(All ** games are dependent on other results )

After that, the next potential games would be the start of the Octo itself, with games in Sept, Oct and Nov.  If we get there, we would want to be as prepared as possible for those Octo games.  Would we really waste the chance to have 3-6 more competitive matches for our first team to work on tactics and cohesion?

I know folks have talked about lingering injuries and the need for a proper summer break, but a lot of our guys are fairly young and would have pretty good powers of recovery.  Plus there is still a one-month layoff between the potential Haiti/whoever games and the start of the Gold Cup.  If I am a coach looking to maximize preparation for possible Octo games (which start in September) that will decide if we get to Qatar,  I don't think I would waste those games between June and September. 

I may be missing some very important info.  This issue may have already been definitively settled by the CSA.  Or I could have my wikipedia-driven scheduling wrong.  But I wonder if the powers that be may take a full strength (or near full strength) squad to the Gold Cup. 

While a lot of our guys our young I think there are two issues at play. This is more so for European players than MLS based ones.

Clubs will probably not be happy and will try to dissuade their guys from doing both camps, particularly because of the lack of rest and risk of injury.

Secondly that lack of rest I think is overlooked. Players have regularly spoken out on the toll this past year and a half has taken on their bodies with almost no rest besides the initial COVID shutdowns. Players need some time off many of them haven't really had that. 

I'm fully expecting David to miss the Gold Cup.

And any player who makes a big move in a Euro league may not be there either (Larin? Eustaquaio?).

I also don't think Atiba will be there.

I also think Davies will be there. Its part of his global brand.

Edited by narduch

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

While a lot of our guys our young I think there are two issues at play. This is more so for European players than MLS based ones.

Clubs will probably not be happy and will try to dissuade their guys from doing both camps, particularly because of the lack of rest and risk of injury.

Secondly that lack of rest I think is overlooked. Players have regularly spoken out on the toll this past year and a half has taken on their bodies with almost no rest besides the initial COVID shutdowns. Players need some time off many of them haven't really had that. 

I get it.  But this is it.  The big show.  If we happen to drop a couple of the more winnable games early on the Octo while we are knocking the rust off (from mid-June), we are probably as good as done.