General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

41 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

You mean like Miller? Our only starting every week CB. Not in the lineup today. Really hope he isn't seriously injured.

I mean Kennedy and Sturing have been starting regularly.... If Miller isn't available Kennedy can easily slot in without affecting the quality of our lineup.

Kennedy may even prove to be an upgrade over Miller, but we'll have to see. This may also open the door for Cornelius, who many have behind Miller at the moment. Never want to see anyone get injured, but I would feel comfortable with Kennedy and Cornelius fighting for the left CB spot. Vitoria has played there for his club as well, despite being a right foot. 

Speaking of CB, I think a Vitoria-Kennedy partnership may have the most upside. I get the impression Kennedy wins more aerial duels than Miller or Cornelius, while Vitoria is a beast in the air, as we know.

Vitoria as slow as Omar Gonzalez, but Kennedy is probably as fast as Mavinga, if you want to think of it that way. I think they could be a good pair.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Kennedy may even prove to be an upgrade over Miller, but we'll have to see. This may also open the door for Cornelius, who many have behind Miller at the moment. Never want to see anyone get injured, but I would feel comfortable with Kennedy and Cornelius fighting for the left CB spot. Vitoria has played there for his club as well, despite being a right foot. 

Speaking of CB, I think a Vitoria-Kennedy partnership may have the most upside. I get the impression Kennedy wins more aerial duels than Miller or Cornelius, while Vitoria is a beast in the air, as we know.

Vitoria as slow as Omar Gonzalez, but Kennedy is probably as fast as Mavinga, if you want to think of it that way. I think they could be a good pair.

Henry is the biggest beast in the air imo. 
I think the pair for the future might be Kennedy - Henry.

Just a random thought. 

2021 might be the best year as a fan of the CMNT. 
We'll probably see a record number of games plus guys who put on the red jersey this year. That's due to the Olympic Qualifying, WCQ, and Gold Cup. In parallel, we have had a record at the club level with the number of champions. f

It's a great time, the major blow is that we can't see them on home soil. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Just a random thought. 

We'll probably see a record number of games plus guys who put on the red jersey this year. That's due to the Olympic Qualifying, WCQ, and Gold Cup. In parallel, we have had a record at the club level with the number of champions. f

Crossing my fingers for September.

14 hours ago, Shway said:

Just a random thought. 

I also believe 2021 WILL be the best year for CMNT fans but it could also be the worst (God forbid).😎

Edited by MtlMario

14 hours ago, Shway said:

Just a random thought. 

Yeah it has been a great year but gotta keep the momentum going by beating Aruba and Suriname first.

5 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I also believe 2021 WILL be the best year for CMNT fans but it could also be the worst (God forbid).😎

The sad fact is that a failure to qualify for WC2022 - or even to make the Octo - will really be no worse than all of our other recent WCQ campaigns.   This one is just weighted down by substantially higher expectations.   

55 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Vitoria is barely playing, I would still call him but I think Henry should start at RCB and Miller or Kennedy at LCB. I wouldnt be opposed to playing all three with Miller. 

Henrys problem used to be bonehead errors but I havent heard of him making many mistakes in Korea. 

Have you watched him in Korea? Still way too wild, and aggressive. I still can’t believe that people would want him in, in a do or die game. How many times does he need to show you he’s not up for it? 

What do they say about insanity? Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. 

FYI, I’d go Kennedy/Victoria against Aruba, and if all looks well (which it should), throw them against Suriname. 

I know I am going to be criticized for "not letting go" but I just had to state that Tomori was not included in England's 33 man preliminary squad with 6 centre backs ahead of him.  Many fans are thinking Tomori was robbed of a callup along with Wan Bassaka and Bamford.  Tomori was instrumental in getting AC Milan back into the Champions League.  He has been fantastic for AC Milan since joining in January and AC Milan want to bring him over full time from Chelsea.

If his performances for AC Milan were on an English team in the premier league, I am convinced he would be in this provisional squad.

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Vitoria is barely playing, I would still call him but I think Henry should start at RCB and Miller or Kennedy at LCB. I wouldnt be opposed to playing all three with Miller. 

Henrys problem used to be bonehead errors but I havent heard of him making many mistakes in Korea. 

He's made a couple. IIRC Peter Galindo put together a compellation of Henry's play in Korea, both good and bad. Should be on his Youtube channel. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The sad fact is that a failure to qualify for WC2022 - or even to make the Octo - will really be no worse than all of our other recent WCQ campaigns.   This one is just weighted down by substantially higher expectations.   

Not sure I'd put it entirely like that.  The weight of those expectations didn't accumulate out of thin air.  The level, depth and diversity of talent available to Canada this cylce is unprecedented.  Especially when taken within the context of our competition in a reformed CONCACAF.

If this lot doesn't make the Octo it's going to feel a lot more disappointing than it has in a while.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Failure to get to the final round would be worse, not only because of those heightened expectations, but because the final round has been expanded to 8 teams and getting there is much more straightforward. At this point all we have to do is beat Suriname and beat Haiti in a two-legged tie. That scenario would have been seen as a layup even for the teams from previous cycles.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Failure to get to the final round would be worse, not only because of those heightened expectations, but because the final round has been expanded to 8 teams and getting there is much more straightforward. At this point all we have to do is beat Suriname and beat Haiti in a two-legged tie. That scenario would have been seen as a layup even for the teams from previous cycles.

Yeah, this cycle has been a bit of a roller coaster. It’s hard to believe that we were basically relegated to fighting for a 0.5 chance with a bunch of minnows not that long ago. I definitely like our chances in this format, although the one-off game against Suriname is still scary because upsets happen. I feel more comfortable about a 2 legged tie. There really are no excuses at this point though, we need to play them off the pitch.

10 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Yeah, this cycle has been a bit of a roller coaster. It’s hard to believe that we were basically relegated to fighting for a 0.5 chance with a bunch of minnows not that long ago. I definitely like our chances in this format, although the one-off game against Suriname is still scary because upsets happen. I feel more comfortable about a 2 legged tie. There really are no excuses at this point though, we need to play them off the pitch.

The fact we can't play at home makes it worse. If we slip up in this game it will be unforgivable, but for me blame will go beyond just the Canadian Soccer Association. Health Canada and other governmental regulatory bodies obviously couldn't give two shits about grown men kicking a ball around, which is perfectly fine, but rightly or wrongly they have handicapped us for this extremely important game. It will be interesting to see what's made of that if we do fail, god forbid.

18 minutes ago, archer21 said:

More like Canada we need to park the bus against Suriname and then attack when we need to attack. But the key point to drive home is defend, defend, defend!!! 

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I sincerely hope that our plan is not to park the bus against the likes of Suriname.

I mean you have to play defensive minded football when it comes to Suriname. Why? Because they are going to try to play attack flowing football and case in point Suriname whether we overrate or underrate them, they are talented.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

More like Canada we need to park the bus against Suriname and then attack when we need to attack. But the key point to drive home is defend, defend, defend!!! 

You must like Mourinho as a manager huh?

I’ll be heavily disappointed, if I see one ounce of parking the bus. We are the bigger team, we have the better players, we have the players coming off title winning teams, we need to take the game to them. 

Show them, and the rest of Concacaf who we are becoming.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

You must like Mourinho as a manager huh?

I’ll be heavily disappointed, if I see one ounce of parking the bus. We are the bigger team, we have the better players, we have the players coming off title winning teams, we need to take the game to them. 

Show them, and the rest of Concacaf who we are becoming.

In that case you do have a good point