General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 2/15/2021 at 2:39 PM, MtlMario said:

I was just wondering how many points we would pick up winning all our games till we qualify for the oct?

I just calculated it. We would get about 19.5 points for winning our 4 games against Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Aruba, and Suriname. If everyone elses rankings stay the same that would move us from 72 up to 68 in the world, passing South Africa, El Salvador (important to move past CONCACAF rivals), Iraq and Bulgaria. Of course if those nations gain points as well, we might not pass them, and we could pass others that drop points.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Rankings don't get us into the Gold Cup, but the teams that do qualify are then put into pots for a Gold Cup draw to determine the groups. For example, if we get our ranking into the top 4 in CONCACAF, we won't have to deal with having Mexico or USA in our group (assuming they are still ranked in the top 4 as well of course). We were in the 2nd pot for the 2021 Gold Cup draw (6th ranked among qualified teams) and ended up drawing USA's group. That makes it very difficult to win the group, so if we finish 2nd in our group we will have to face a group winner. So rankings are still a big deal, but it's just going to be a while before it is a factor.

Gold Cup usually uses CONCACAF rankings for determining the pots, not FIFA rankings. Assuming that doesn’t change, FIFA rankings still don’t matter until 2024 WCQ.

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

Gold Cup usually uses CONCACAF rankings for determining the pots, not FIFA rankings. Assuming that doesn’t change, FIFA rankings still don’t matter until 2024 WCQ.

True! I had forgotten that, thanks. And of course if we do end up getting a guaranteed spot for the 2026 World Cup, our FIFA ranking doesn't matter until qualifying for 2030. Although I suppose for draws for the actual World Cup proper, if we qualify for 2022 it would be used to determine our pot I believe. I think hosts are usually put in the top pot, so our ranking might not matter for 2026 World Cup proper.

15 hours ago, archer21 said:

I don't know why I didn't come to this conclusion when I initially read your comment, but I think this means I need to look into CONCACAF rankings next. Maybe tomorrow. Will have to look up how they are calculated.

OK, I finally got around to looking into how the CONCACAF rankings are calculated. It started out promising, with a formula, and some definitions of the variables in the formula, until we got to the last variable. They don't give enough information.

https://concacaf-cloudinary.corebine.com/concacaf-production/image/upload/v1535044241/concacaf-prod/assets/Concacaf_Men_s_National_Team_Ranking_Overview.pdf

"E = Expected result of the match The expected odds of a match are based on the ranking difference between the two teams and the home field advantage."

It goes on to say that E = P(win) - P(loss), but doesn't tell you how to come up with P(win) and P(loss). Maybe I'll be able to determine how to calculate them after some results. Hopefully they update the rankings promptly to make the job easier, and hopefully I have the chops to be able to figure it out so I can calculate hypothetical point changes going forward.

Good luck Kent. Over the years, most of what CONCACAF has been shown to do  has been only superficially based on rules, and the vaguer the "variables", the better as far they are concerned. "Draws" have actually been pre-selected schedules based on increasing income, as with any rule they can bend (such as fictional offsides to ensure the most popular teams make it to the Gold Cup finals) for their purposes. So, undefinable and undetermined variables would be an expected tool they could use to do what they want.

1 hour ago, beachesl said:

Good luck Kent. Over the years, most of what CONCACAF has been shown to do  has been only superficially based on rules, and the vaguer the "variables", the better as far they are concerned. "Draws" have actually been pre-selected schedules based on increasing income, as with any rule they can bend (such as fictional offsides to ensure the most popular teams make it to the Gold Cup finals) for their purposes. So, undefinable and undetermined variables would be an expected tool they could use to do what they want.

Yeah, I figure either the missing part is missing deliberately to allow some "creativity" or it's just complex enough that they couldn't be bothered to write it out to share with everyone.

I played around a bit last night on some guesses, and the more I think about it the more I think the best I can do is get in good guesses.

• 1 month later...

With our 2 wins this break Canada’s ranking will improve its rating to 1341.0 and +3 to 70th

El Salvador with their win and tie will move to 1,341.1 and rise +1 on the rankings to 69th.  

Long term these rankings actually do matter but I can’t believe we’re going to be 0.1 rating points behind El Salvador lol.

Canada has to just keep winning.

edits- Honduras is at 1,364.3 and 64th ranked as the 5th place team in CONCACAF in case anyone is interested.

Edited by baulderdash77
Honduras ranking.

Best 11 as of today:

Fwd: Cavallini, David

Mid: Larin, Davies, Eustaquio, Hutchinson

Def: Adekugbe, Vitoria, Miller, Laryea

GK: Borjan

Subs

Fwd: Millar, Hoilett

Mid: Osorio, Arfield, Kaye, Piette

Def: Gutierrez, Henry, Cornelius, Johnston

GK: Crepeau, DSC  

Injury Cover Options

Fwd: Corbeanu, Buchanan

Mid: Teibert, Fraser, Baldisimo

FB: Godinho, ZBG, Cordova

CB: Waterman, Ferreira, Sturing, James, Kennedy, Zator, Didic

GK: Pantemis, Carducci, Hasal  

25 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Best 11 as of today:

Fwd: Cavallini, David

Mid: Larin, Davies, Eustaquio, Hutchinson

Def: Adekugbe, Vitoria, Miller, Laryea

GK: Borjan

Subs

Fwd: Millar, Hoilett

Mid: Osorio, Arfield, Kaye, Piette

Def: Gutierrez, Henry, Cornelius, Johnston

GK: Crepeau, DSC  

Injury Cover Options

Fwd: Corbeanu, Buchanan

Mid: Teibert, Fraser, Baldisimo

FB: Godinho, ZBG, Cordova

CB: Waterman, Ferreira, Sturing, James, Kennedy, Zator, Didic

GK: Pantemis, Carducci, Hasal  

Thats not a bad Gold Cup team, think Hasal would start.

That's crazy that now we can field 3.5 starting lineups, easy, and I'd be happy and confident with all three against just about all CONCACAF opposition apart from the top 8 teams.  Even for the top 8 countries, I would trust this #2 lineup to be competitive.  (happy sigh, shakes head)  Amazing....

3 hours ago, shorty said:

That's crazy that now we can field 3.5 starting lineups, easy, and I'd be happy and confident with all three against just about all CONCACAF opposition apart from the top 8 teams.  Even for the top 8 countries, I would trust this #2 lineup to be competitive.  (happy sigh, shakes head)  Amazing....

I think against everyone but the top 4 we’d have a fighting chance more than not and would probably win the fight.

Jamaica CR and the big 2 are the ones we wouldn’t take imo.

• 3 weeks later...

So it appears that Remko Bicentini attended both the January camp and the recent 2 WCQ games in March. The articles below have pics of him with Cavallini, Herdman & MAK.  He is currently completing his UEFA Pro training at NEC and will join Canada for the June WCQ games

Bicentini wint met Canada met 11-0 | Curacao.nu

Bicentini heeft weer een ‘wereldjob’, nu als assistent-coach van Canada | Regiosport | gelderlander.nl

Edited by Kadenge

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Saw this on Twitter. If thats true .... mob GIF

64A46574-3FF7-4CA2-8028-2BEE37BA9DF7.jpeg

E18E167C-B64B-48D4-B213-BFCC9D04F327.jpeg

On the flipside multiple media members mentioned he got the CSA to spend big figures on a trip to Portugal and he ended up going to one game and didn't even meet with Eustaquio.