General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

Ah I see. Thanks for explaining. Undermining is a little strong, because I do agree with El Hombre, we should not take Bermuda lightly. That said, I do think there's room for us to question how good they are, irrespective of what MtlMario was saying. 

Here's the way I see it: the long layoff could hurt Bermuda more than us, because (I believe) they were punching above their weight before. The layoff was a momentum killer for all, but I suspect it hurts them more, since their results came off the back of momentum, whereas ours did not.

We got the results we should expect for the level of talent we have. They punched above their weight for the level of talent they have. 

Maybe I am wrong. I am not a Bermuda expert. I am just looking at their squad and noticing that most of them play at low levels and few of them are dominating at those levels. Maybe they just have something special when the team comes together that helps them overachieve. That "something", whatever it is, may be hard to re-capture due to the layoff.

That was my point, not that we shouldn't be prepared and put everything into the game. We should expect to play the same team Bermuda team from 2019 that beat Panama and lost by a goal to Mexico, even if the reality is that it may take them a while to get going. And again, it's the same for us, but maybe our talent will see us through, I am hoping/thinking.

You know I can hear you guys.😁😁😁

On 2/10/2021 at 11:50 AM, Shway said:

@SpecialKAgain, it all depends on where you rate those leagues....Serie D or C is equivalent to USL league 1. Yea he has more minutes than Pantemis, but Pantemis has better minutes. 

So, Pantemis > Breza due to 270 "better" minutes in MLS?

So we don't count Breza's 2190 "better" minutes in Serie C vs USL/CPL?

Sorry dude, I don't see it.  Even counting Pantemis' less than convincing MLS minutes when Diop was out of the country.  The rest of the resumes lean sharply towards Breza's camp.  I just don't see how one compares USL/CPL to Serie C.  I look forward to that day, but it's not the case now. 

This coming from a hopeful fan of Pantemis, looking forward to the day he wins the CFM starting role.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Sorry dude, I don't see it.  Even counting Pantemis' less than convincing MLS minutes when Diop was out of the country.  The rest of the resumes lean sharply towards Breza's camp.  I just don't see how one compares USL/CPL to Serie C.  I look forward to that day, but it's not the case now. 

This coming from a hopeful fan of Pantemis, looking forward to the day he wins the CFM starting role.

This debate makes me think of Robert Stillo.

16 hours ago, costarg said:

I think Pantemis beats out Diop this year.

8 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think Pantemis beats out Diop this year.

I want to believe that's the case, but I don't see it. I think barring injury Henry goes with Diop. I know Pantemis did well when Diop was out, but Henry put Diop straight back in when he was available.

I want to believe, so please tell me where your optimism is coming from.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I want to believe that's the case, but I don't see it. I think barring injury Henry goes with Diop. I know Pantemis did well when Diop was out, but Henry put Diop straight back in when he was available.

I want to believe, so please tell me where your optimism is coming from.

They also exposed Diop though... the future of IMFC and VWFC goalkeeping is red and white. Won’t be long till 1-3 on both their charts is red and white, I’d imagine Toronto heads that way soon too, surely a Carducci or Ingham could be a #3 Atleast in MLS, really surprises me Vancouver didn’t Atleast approach Carducci.

13 minutes ago, costarg said:

Hope so, if not we might actually get to see Breza compete vs Diop and Pantemis on CFM.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Saputo ship him over instead of having him sit on the bench for too long over there.

Was about to ask why he hasn’t played yet. I’m not sure Pantemis will have a higher ceiling than MLS, but there’s also Sirois who needs to play... Breza should Atleast be a #2 in Serie A, but who knows when he’ll play... might make sense to ship him over and have the 2 battle.. or have Pantemis loaned and start Breza.

On 2/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, Shway said:

The gaffer is giving an update on the state of the program on TSN right now.

EDIT: Overstated. Just a lot of about nothing. 

Sad to hear that Ayo still did not make up his mind on his international future. Doesn't look promising for us if he doesn't want to say by now. As I mentioned before it's getting pretty frustrating with all this waiting. I mean what can change in the next month or so that will make him decide? I'm starting to like him less and less.😞

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

Sad to hear that Ayo still did not make up his mind on his international future. Doesn't look promising for us if he doesn't want to say by now. As I mentioned before it's getting pretty frustrating with all this waiting. I mean what can change in the next month or so that will make him decide? I'm starting to like him less and less.😞

Its a good thing and imminent actually, he’s going to want to play in the Olympic qualifiers, and it means that he’s really giving pause. He’s clearly strongly considering us despite never having been to a camp or else the decision would have been made. We’ll know by the end of the month.

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Its a good thing and imminent actually, he’s going to want to play in the Olympic qualifiers, and it means that he’s really giving pause. He’s clearly strongly considering us despite never having been to a camp or else the decision would have been made. We’ll know by the end of the month.

I hope you're right.

16 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Maybe he's waiting for Jozy to leave the Toronto area before announcing?

45 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

He missed our camp - why would he make up his mind now? If his mind was made up it would have been bad news for us as that would mean he chose the US. If we flunk out of qualifiers in the first round we can kiss him goodbye - he's smartly waiting to see what happens with the Olympics and WCQ.

If anyone should be sweating over Ayo’s indecision it is the US.  He has played in their system for years.  To date, he has never been ours.  The fact that he hasn’t come out immediately in favour of the US is only good for us.   They are the ones who may get jilted.  For us, any decision to play for the states is really just status quo.   

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If anyone should be sweating over Ayo’s indecision it is the US.  He has played in their system for years.  To date, he has never been ours.  The fact that he hasn’t come out immediately in favour of the US is only good for us.   They are the ones who may get jilted.  For us, any decision to play for the states is really just status quo.   

I totally get it, but devils advocate from a US perspective. The US isn’t sweating over Ayo. They have a plethora of options currently, young options, and dual forwards that they are chasing.  Ayos decision is simply a personal one. He commits to the US, he may be a bit part player or a regular depending on his trajectory. Right now it’s bit part. Commits to Canada and he’s a regular.  

Ive said it before, I’m not worried - he’ll turn up for Canada at some point. If he doesn’t, in the words of Gareth Wheeler - two words:  Teal Bunbury. 

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I guess the next time rankings actually matter will be for determining pots for the 2023 Gold Cup. 2021 Gold Cup has already been drawn.

But doesn’t the Gold cup qualification now only come from Nations Leagues? So rankings doesn’t matter other than your international status. 

11 hours ago, Shway said:

But doesn’t the Gold cup qualification now only come from Nations Leagues? So rankings doesn’t matter other than your international status. 

Rankings don't get us into the Gold Cup, but the teams that do qualify are then put into pots for a Gold Cup draw to determine the groups. For example, if we get our ranking into the top 4 in CONCACAF, we won't have to deal with having Mexico or USA in our group (assuming they are still ranked in the top 4 as well of course). We were in the 2nd pot for the 2021 Gold Cup draw (6th ranked among qualified teams) and ended up drawing USA's group. That makes it very difficult to win the group, so if we finish 2nd in our group we will have to face a group winner. So rankings are still a big deal, but it's just going to be a while before it is a factor.