Scott Kennedy

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Ian Kennedy said:

Update:  Scott was ramping up his training in an attempt to play before the winter break.  During a training session he felt some weakness and immediately stopped.  He's now home for personalized therapy, training and rest.  The goal is to go back strong for the second half of the season.

Best wishes from the Vs and thanks for the regular updates. It's fun to follow his progress.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, Ian Kennedy said:

Update:  Scott was ramping up his training in an attempt to play before the winter break.  During a training session he felt some weakness and immediately stopped.  He's now home for personalized therapy, training and rest.  The goal is to go back strong for the second half of the season.

Hi @Ian Kennedy ,

When you say "home", his home in Austria or back in Calgary? I hope your holidays are going well.

At this point, I'm sure you can't say if he has been invited to anything (the rumoured January U23 camp in Vancouver for example), but has the CSA gotten in touch with him? Can you confirm that they know of him?

Good morning and Happy Holidays.  Yes, Scott is home in Calgary for the holidays.  He leaves for Austria on Jan 4.  Klagenfurt training, for the 2nd half of the season, starts on Jan 5.  Scott's been working hard, getting personalized training and therapy while in Calgary and he's feeling much stronger and confident in his body.  He's looking forward to helping Klagenfurt finish the 2019/2020 season in 1st place and being promoted to the 1st league.  We have not heard from CSA and we have no idea if he is on their radar or if they know of him.

5 hours ago, Ian Kennedy said:

We have not heard from CSA and we have no idea if he is on their radar or if they know of him.

This is completely embarrassing if true.... 

Not heard from the CSA at all? Not even for U23? Nothing???? 

There's absolutely no excuse for the CSA to keep the littlest in touch with all Canucks abroad. 

No e-mail from Herdman?? Just kidding but seriously what is the usual MO for this kind of thing?  Do the staffs call youngsters that have never been in camp before (apologies if Kennedy has) when they start to make some noise abroad??

For example DIdic or Montgomery, they never played youth soccer for Canada 9that I could see), both got recent sniffs at MLS...when did they get a first call from CSA/Herdman etc??  

6 hours ago, Ian Kennedy said:

We have not heard from CSA and we have no idea if he is on their radar or if they know of him.

Thank you for answering. Like @Shway, I'm a little sad too that no contact has been made from the CSA.

This forum, filled with some of the most die-hard Canadian soccer fans, will continue to follow his career with interest. Best of luck to Scott! Promotion would be huge.

21 hours ago, Shway said:

This is completely embarrassing if true.... 

Not heard from the CSA at all? Not even for U23? Nothing???? 

There's absolutely no excuse for the CSA to keep the littlest in touch with all Canucks abroad. 

Good morning,

It is true.  I can't comment on whether this is embarrassing or not.

Some of you may not have seen an earlier post of mine where I described how Scott had to leave Canada to continue his development.  There may be a number of reasons why Scott may still not be on the Canadian "Radar".  I can think of a few possible reasons right now:  (1) he wasn't tracked by the Canadian system before he left Canada; and (2) his meaningful development has been in Europe and the Canadian system is not set up to track this development; or (3) the Canadian system is committed to other players (for instance thomas meilleur-giguère).  If the CSA has chosen thomas meilleur-giguère for the U23 team ahead of Scott, this is a solid choice. This doesn't change Scott's trajectory.

Scott is committed to doing his best, he's reasonably paid for his efforts and he's got fire in his belly.  Sk Austria Klagenfurt (with Scott's help) is in a good position for promotion to the Austrian Bundesliga.  Further, there are other organizations around the world watching Scott's development.  We're confident that good things will happen for Scott and we're excited to watch how the 2nd half of the 2019/2020 season develops for Klagenfurt (with Scott back on the pitch).  All the SK Austria Klagenfurt games can be watched on LaolaTV1.  Happy Holidays. 

Edited by Ian Kennedy

Appreciate the open updates and we all wish Scott all the best for 2020 and hopefully the CSA wake up. All he can do is keep doing what he is doing.

Considering our complete lack of depth at CB its beyond staggering and worrying if the CSA/mens staff aren't keeping tabs on him. Hopefully this all changes in 2020!

I'm a well known big time CSA critic/skeptic, but I'm not sure some of the language used here is warranted; "completely embarrassing," "beyond staggering," "absolutely no excuse,"...

Would it be nice for the CSA to be in contact with all possible future MNT players? Yes (even though that would be a really long list). But if Scott continues his strong play, and certainly if he moves up a level, the CSA will very likely be in contact. We've seen it before when a player "comes out of left field", and I'm sure we will see it again.

No need to go crazy on rageahol quite yet I think!

If Scott is on the Canucks abroad list, is getting games at a decent level and is getting chatter on here etc, I am sure someone on the coaching staff has heard of him.  Who knows where he would fit into a depth chart.  And if you believe that Herdman et al are trying to bring in some more big name duals, maybe that means a guy like kennedy doesnt get a bunch of attention.  Its too bad, becuase we have seen a call up spark players carer's before.  He is playing the right position though, CSA  should have their eye on alot of young CB's.  

• 3 weeks later...

Scott played last Saturday in a pre-season "friendly" against Wolfsberger. After the game he felt good and was satisfied with his play and how he felt.  Here's some media coverage about his "come back" (translation from Austrian German) :

For Kennedy, the time of suffering ends

It wasn't long ago that Scott Kennedy had no way around. Last season, the defender was a fixture in Austria Klagenfurt, he was in the squad in all 30 games, 29 of them in the starting XI. But with the beginning of the new series, the Canadian became a plague bird and missed the entire autumn round. Now the 22-year-old wants to start again.

"Scotty" had to wait for this moment for what felt like an eternity. On Saturday in the first test of the winter preparation against the first division fourth Wolfsberger AC, the defender put on the jersey of the violets again, after an intensive first week of training, he was allowed to start in St. Andrä from the start. It was his first assignment since June 1, 2019, at FC Liefering (1: 1).

Head coach Robert Micheu later had a special praise for the 1.90-meter giant: “If you consider that he had to stay out for more than half a year, it was a very good one neat appearance. I'm happy with him. ”Up to the start in February, it is now a matter of“ that Scotty finds his rhythm and receives practice, ”said Micheu.

Last summer Kennedy complained of groin problems. He paused, struggled up but always had to accept setbacks. In November, the coach then sent his defender to Canada early. There he worked with a rehab coach and came back stronger at the beginning of the year. Micheu: “So far it looks very good, Scotty is doing everything. But of course we always keep an eye on him, we won't risk anything. It is important that he is in top shape when it starts. "

After difficult months, Kennedy himself is happy to finally get involved. "It was hard. Of course I was happy about the development of the team. But instead of just watching and keeping my fingers crossed, I would rather have helped. I'm happy to be back with the boys in the cabin and on the pitch, ”he said. Coach Micheu plans with him in the ascent fight: "You can always count on Scotty."

• 5 weeks later...

I find it very tough to get any kind of squad info on pre-2nd-half-of-the-season-friendlies; I wonder how he has done over the past month?

Competitive games start up again on Friday for Scott; it will be one of the most important games of the season since it's against their rival for that one promotion spot (SV Guntamatic Ried)! If they lose that game on Friday, it becomes an uphill battle.

http://www.2liga.at/2liga/spielplan/

• 3 months later...

The Austrian Liga has made the decision to finish the season.  Scott is healthy and ready to play.  I'm pasting an article from the Club's Website - google translation of Austrian German to English isn't perfect ... but close enough.  Scott's injury was Osteitis pubis.  A a non-infectious inflammation of the pubic symphysis causing varying degrees of lower abdominal and pelvic pain.

Break brings Kennedy back into play

From a sporting point of view, the Corona crisis has at least produced a beautiful story for Austria Klagenfurt. Because Scott Kennedy, for whom the season seemed to have ended at the beginning of the year, is back on the pitch and is therefore available to head coach Robert Micheu for the remaining eleven rounds of the 2nd division.

After completely missing the fall series due to a pubic infection, Kennedy struggled back in the winter. The defender did much of the preparation and was used in friendly matches. But during the training camp in Belek, Turkey, the German-Canadian suffered a serious muscle injury. 

"We didn't expect it anymore, but the forced break did have something good," says Micheu, for whom Kennedy is "a strong alternative" at the Violet Defense Center: "Scott used the time and is in good physical shape . For him, as for everyone else, it is now a matter of finding the rhythm. "

Last Monday, the professionals were allowed back on the pitch after almost ten weeks of abstinence. Kennedy got involved and was there when Austria entered team training on Thursday. “It felt great to finally be together with the other guys, to have the ball on my feet. We look forward to the championship starting again. ” 

Incidentally, the race for promotion has by no means been decided for the 23-year-old, who came to Klagenfurt from SV Grödig in summer 2018 and has played 29 games (three goals) in the second division since then. With an eight point lead, Ried has the best cards, says Kennedy, "but we will be a persistent hunter and will do everything we can to catch up with them."

On the first weekend in June, the home game in the Wörthersee Stadium against Kapfenberger SV will continue. The 1.90-meter defense giant is hoping for its first season. Kennedy: "I'm ready! Of course I know that we have a strong squad and that we have a few alternatives for all positions. Competition is always good, the decision is up to the trainer. ”

This gets tricky because the violets are in good shape despite the Corona break. On Saturday they fought a hot fight in an internal training game over two 25-minute sessions - and Kennedy was fully involved.

• 1 month later...

I don’t think he is being ignored. He is just playing second division in a small European country that doesn’t have a recent history as a strong footballing nation.  I wouldn’t expect that his current level is any better than CPL and possibly could be lower.  If his side gets promoted and he does well, he will definitely get a look but even still he would only be playing at a level somewhere between CPL and MLS.  

7 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I don’t think he is being ignored. He is just playing second division in a small European country that doesn’t have a recent history as a strong footballing nation.  I wouldn’t expect that his current level is any better than CPL and possibly could be lower.  If his side gets promoted and he does well, he will definitely get a look but even still he would only be playing at a level somewhere between CPL and MLS.  

I strongly disagree with every single point made above. 

Every single young CB in the the CPL would give their left nut to trade places with Kennedy right now.