Scott Kennedy

I was wondering if it is like "less forfeits". It would be a bit bizarre, but makes sense. If you have to forfeit for some reason, or had a ruling against you (used an illegal player?) then that counts against you a little bit more than just the points lost. But it could just be about losses and a weird translation.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, archer21 said:

What in the world is “less matches awarded against”

I am guessing it is the same as "games played". At the end of the season they'd all be the same but during the season there would be differences.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:09 PM, Strait Red said:

@Ian Kennedy can you clarify the tie breaker situation?

An article on Laola indicates that in the event of a tie, the tie is decided first by goal difference (+/-) and second by number of goals.  Scott has confirmed this is his understanding.  Based on the data available to me, this means that Klagenfurt has to win and Reid has to lose.  Drama!

Just now, Ian Kennedy said:

An article on Laola indicates that in the event of a tie, the tie is decided first by goal difference (+/-) and second by number of goals.  Scott has confirmed this is his understanding.  Based on the data available to me, this means that Klagenfurt has to win and Reid has to lose.  Drama!

Thanks Ian, all the best to Scott and the team for the finale to the season.

On 7/28/2020 at 10:57 AM, Ian Kennedy said:

Wait...doesn't this mean that Klagenfurt simply has to win big? If Guntamatic Ried win their match 2-1 and Klagenfurt win their match 3-0, Klagenfurt would be promoted right?

Some interesting facts going into this final day:

Austria Klagenfurt play Wacker Innsbruck; although Wacker has nothing to play for but pride, they were the ones relegated from the Austrian Bundesliga the previous season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Austrian_Football_Bundesliga

Guntamatic Ried play FAC Wien(Floridsdorfer AC).
Guntamatic Ried actually missed out on promotion the previous season by 2 points. This is despite the fact that they had the most "Goals For" and fewest "Goals Against" and therefore the best goal difference by a significant margin. They are trying to avoid a heartbreak 2 years in a row. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Austrian_Football_Second_League
FAC Wien(Floridsdorfer AC) might put up a fight; a win for them saves them from relegation to the 3rd tier. A draw could really help them too. https://www.2liga.at/2liga/spielplan/

In terms of squad news, FAC Wien(Floridsdorfer AC) looks a little depleted,  but Wacker have almost a full squad:

https://www.nachrichten.at/sport/fussball/sv_ried/im-rieder-titelduell-spielen-auch-die-gegner-eine-grosse-rolle;art102,3278947

There is really plenty of drama!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wait...doesn't this mean that Klagenfurt simply has to win big? If Guntamatic Ried win their match 2-1 and Klagenfurt win their match 3-0, Klagenfurt would be promoted right?

This is what I see as well, so I am confused. 

Since as you say and I mentioned on the weekend Florisdorfer needs a result, this could be possible. They have the motivation and could make the difference. Mind you, Klagenfurt just lost to a mid-table team with nothing to play for, so you never know, and Ried beat another bottom dweller with ten men and a comeback.

Here is a bad translation from a German article in Transfermarkt, it is clear: 

https://www.transfermarkt.at/ried-und-klagenfurt-im-fern-showdown-um-bundesliga-aufstieg/view/news/366724

First tie-breaker is goal difference. Second tiebreaker is total goals scored. 

"in the event of a tie, only goal difference decides...."

"Ried also had the advantage of scoring more goals (64 versus 59), which in the case of an equal goal difference would be crucial."

If their result is better, they go up. 

If they both win, Klagenfurt need to win by two more goals than Ried does.

If Klagenfurt and Ried are tied on points and goal difference at the end, Ried goes up, for total goals scored.

The article quotes the Ried coach saying they need to win by more than one to be sure.

14 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope Kennedy has turned heads to earn a contract in the top flight.

I hope so too. That or...

On 7/21/2020 at 8:06 PM, Nate3322 said:

From based on what I've been told it was Bavarian 2 Bundesliga team that was interested in him.

...how about that German B.2 side? That would be a higher level than André Hainault and Adam Straith.

Really tough day for Scott I'm sure, but lots to be proud of. Really has had a "journeyman" type rise. As far as I understand from @Ian Kennedy , didn't go through a MLS/USL/CanPL academy. Didn't go through a European academy. Didn't go through a South American academy like Osorio and Cavallini.

Went from the German 6th division all the way to the cusp of promotion to the Austrian Bundesliga in about what...5 years? The man's got determination.

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ya, that's mental. You would think that a 6-1 win would do the trick but FAC Wien just really wanted to get relegated as much as Guntamatic Ried wanted promotion I guess.

I didn't think the Regionaligas finished in Austria (i.e. season voided) so no promotion from there and thus no relegation from the 2. Liga.  Or am I mistaken?

8 hours ago, Shway said:

Holy shite, those scorelines look like match fixings lol.

15 goals combined and 1 against for Klagenfurt and Reid wtf 

What looked more like an alteration or fix was last week.

The team Klagenfurt played against seemed extra motivated. I would say, since I can't be sued for this, that Ried promised them a financial reward if they got a result. They were like demons out there, the intensity was amazing, but really, Klagenfurt had no excuse. They should not have lost that match by any means, and even a draw would have solved it for them. 

As I say, and I'll repeat since no one seems to have responded: I watched Amstetten-Klagenfurt last week. Their rival was extremely motivated, too much so for a mid-table team with nothing to play for. It was exagerrated. And their celebrations, on the goals, and on the win. 

I would say that team had an incentive. Not that Klagenfurt could not have won, but their rival was the exact opposite of what Ried saw yesterday. If someone wants to say there was money under the table, I'd believe it.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I say, and I'll repeat since no one seems to have responded: I watched Amstetten-Klagenfurt last week. Their rival was extremely motivated, too much so for a mid-table team with nothing to play for. It was exagerrated. And their celebrations, on the goals, and on the win. 

I would say that team had an incentive. Not that Klagenfurt could not have won, but their rival was the exact opposite of what Ried saw yesterday. If someone wants to say there was money under the table, I'd believe it.

To be honest, I wouldn’t even really care. Trying really hard isn’t match fixing. Throwing the game is.

3 hours ago, archer21 said:

To be honest, I wouldn’t even really care. Trying really hard isn’t match fixing. Throwing the game is.

I didn't see the game he is referring to, but I guess he is saying that is more evidence towards someone trying to influence who wins promotion via pay outs. If someone was trying to inspire a team to play well with financial incentives, they just might also be willing to get another team to throw a game for the same outcome.

It really has the smell of match fixing to it.  Letting 5 first team players have the day off and then losing 9-0 and the other team wins promotion on goal difference!

The Austrian 2nd Division, during Covid must have some pretty desperate cash strapped teams.

I’d check the betting action on this and other financial records.  It’s way too fishy

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I didn't see the game he is referring to, but I guess he is saying that is more evidence towards someone trying to influence who wins promotion via pay outs. If someone was trying to inspire a team to play well with financial incentives, they just might also be willing to get another team to throw a game for the same outcome.

This is common practice in Spain, when a team in a promotion or relegation battle pays a team with nothing to play for to win. Technically, that is not fixing, but it is still illegal to provide incentives. And of course it is more meaningful the less players are paid. This is always described as "maletas" in Spain, suitcases. It was not illegal for years, and now is (also because it means you are evading taxes on that money).