Scott Kennedy

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is common practice in Spain, when a team in a promotion or relegation battle pays a team with nothing to play for to win. Technically, that is not fixing, but it is still illegal to provide incentives. And of course it is more meaningful the less players are paid. This is always described as "maletas" in Spain, suitcases. It was not illegal for years, and now is (also because it means you are evading taxes on that money).

Interesting. It’s one of those things that might seem harmless, but if it becomes the norm I could see teams throwing matches if they weren’t offered money in a situation like this.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:02 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I hope so too. That or...

...how about that German B.2 side? That would be a higher level than André Hainault and Adam Straith.

Really tough day for Scott I'm sure, but lots to be proud of. Really has had a "journeyman" type rise. As far as I understand from @Ian Kennedy , didn't go through a MLS/USL/CanPL academy. Didn't go through a European academy. Didn't go through a South American academy like Osorio and Cavallini.

Went from the German 6th division all the way to the cusp of promotion to the Austrian Bundesliga in about what...5 years? The man's got determination.

Update:  

SCOTT KENNEDY STRENGTHENS JAHNELF

CENTRAL DEFENDER (23) COMES FROM AUSTRIA KLAGENFURT

Scott Kennedy (23) will join SSV Jahn Regensburg until June 30th, 2023. The German-Canadian central defender was most recently active with the Austrian second division team SK Austria Klagenfurt and has been with the team in the one-week training camp in Bad Gögging since Tuesday.

As announced, SSV Jahn Regensburg has signed Scott Kennedy as a new addition for its defense. “Scott came to Germany five years ago with the aim of becoming a professional footballer here. With hard work, great privation and a lot of conviction, he has now achieved this. Its development is far from over. With his speed, tackle and header strength as well as his strength of character, he has what it takes to become an important component of our team. ” Says Christian Keller, managing director of professional football at SSV Jahn.

Scott Kennedy was born in Calgary, Canada. The left foot can be used both in central defense and as a left full-back. In 2015, the then 18-year-old came to Germany from Canada and started at SG Chiemgau Traunstein. After a stopover at FC Amberg, he joined the Austrian regional league team SV Grödig in 2017. In July 2018, Kennedy switched to second division Austria Klagenfurt, where he played a total of 38 games (three goals) in two years. Kennedy will join the team in training camp this Tuesday. Due to the recent championship in Austria, however, he will initially complete an individual training program in the first few weeks.

Kennedy is convinced that he will feel at home at SSV Jahn: “My first impressions of the city, SSV Jahn and Jahnstadion are very positive. For me, the step into the 2nd Bundesliga and SSV Jahn is the next challenge in my career. I will work hard right from the start to achieve the goals for the coming season together with my new teammates, ”said the 23-year-old.

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Wow - so missing promotion was a blessing in disguise as this is a step up from the Austrian Bundesliga even. Best of luck to him in solidifying a spot there. If he does he's going to be a CanMNT regular.

Yes it's a step up from playing teams like Admira Wacker Mödling, St. Pölten or WSG Tirol but the top 4 Austrian teams are just on another level, especially Red Bull Salzburg.

The big question is will he get regular playing time?

@Ian Kennedy how often did he play left full-back vs centre back in Austria?

Did SSV Jahn Regensburg bring him in more as a centre-back or left-back to your knowledge?