Scott Kennedy

Just so we know a little bit about the level he will be playing at, the Austrian 3rd tier is split up into 3 different regions. SV Grodig was good this past season finishing 10 points behind the leaders in the west with 70 points....The third place team had 48. Grodig was a Austrian Bundesliga team in 2015-16 but hit financial issues and had to drop down a few levels. In 2014-15 they played 2 rounds in Europa League Qualifying. They are a bigger club than the level they play at but even if you win the league in the 3rd tier you only get promoted if you apply for a 1. Liga license which a few clubs did not do this past year. If they can solve their financial issues they will promote soon, so not a bad jump from 5th tier Germany, especially for a '97.

• 1 year later...

Quick update:  Scott has signed with SK Klagenfurt, a team in the Austrian Football Second League, formerly the First League.  This the second highest professional division in Austrian football. It contains 16 teams and is run in the same fashion as the Austrian Bundesliga. The champion of the league is promoted to the Bundesliga and the three last placed teams are directly relegated from the Second League into the regional leagues. The league is currently known as the Sky Go 2. Liga for sponsorship reasons.  Games are streamed online www.laola1.tv.

That is a good jump in level from 3rd division which is pretty low level and has 3 divisions of 16 teams to 2nd division which is nation wide and like the 1st Bundesliga has only 10 teams. Klagenfurt is a team that is fairly young because it was created after an earlier team went bankrupt but it is in one of Austria's largest cities and has a big stadium so a lot of potential. He also made his 2nd Bundesliga debut on Friday, playing 90 minutes in a 1-1 tie with Lustenau at centre-back! Below is his playing data from last year:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scott-kennedy/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/418300/plus/0?saison=2017&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

We're excited for him.  This will be his 4th season in Europe.  He has played a total of 72 games in Europe (6,222 minutes).  He started in the German 6th Division playing for Traunstein, moved to the German 4th Division playing for Amburg (had a few injuries) then moved to the Austrian Regional 3rd Division playing for Grodig, where he scored 4 goals.  He continues to grow and improve.

18/19 2. Liga 2. Liga SK Austria Klagenfurt 1 1,00 - - - / - / - 90'
18/19 ÖFB-Cup ÖFB-Cup SK Austria Klagenfurt 1 3,00 - - - / - / - 90'
17/18 Regionalliga West RL West SV Grödig 24 2,08 4 - 1 / - / - 2.077'
17/18 ÖFB-Cup ÖFB-Cup SV Grödig 2 1,50 - - - / - / - 240'
16/17 Bayernliga Nord Bayernliga Nord FC Amberg 11 1,00 1 - 1 / - / 1 821'
16/17 Bayerischer Toto-Pokal Bayerischer Toto-Pokal FC Amberg 2 1,50 - - - / - / - 175'
15/16 Landesliga Bayern Südost LL Bayern-S/O SB Chiemgau Traunstein 31 1,42 2 - 2 / - / - 2.729'

4 minutes ago, Ian Kennedy said:

We're excited for him.  This will be his 4th season in Europe.  He has played a total of 72 games in Europe (6,222 minutes).  He started in the German 6th Division playing for Traunstein, moved to the German 4th Division playing for Amburg (had a few injuries) then moved to the Austrian Regional 3rd Division playing for Grodig, where he scored 4 goals.  He continues to grow and improve.

18/19 2. Liga 2. Liga SK Austria Klagenfurt 1 1,00 - - - / - / - 90'
18/19 ÖFB-Cup ÖFB-Cup SK Austria Klagenfurt 1 3,00 - - - / - / - 90'
17/18 Regionalliga West RL West SV Grödig 24 2,08 4 - 1 / - / - 2.077'
17/18 ÖFB-Cup ÖFB-Cup SV Grödig 2 1,50 - - - / - / - 240'
16/17 Bayernliga Nord Bayernliga Nord FC Amberg 11 1,00 1 - 1 / - / 1 821'
16/17 Bayerischer Toto-Pokal Bayerischer Toto-Pokal FC Amberg 2 1,50 - - - / - / - 175'
15/16 Landesliga Bayern Südost LL Bayern-S/O SB Chiemgau Traunstein 31 1,42 2 - 2 / - / - 2.729'

Best of luck - hopefully he does well with Klagenfurt this season. 

2 minutes ago, Ian Kennedy said:

Scott was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta.  He played club soccer for Calgary West, Calgary Chinooks and for his high school team at William Aberhart.  He left for Traunstein after he finished Grade 12.

Any opinions, yours or his, on CPL? Is it something that interests him, or is it more of a European adventure at this moment?

If he has a good year in his current league, have to think he is not far from a call up, especially if he promotes again. Given our depth at CB, and the age of our current backline, theres always a shot the call up comes earlier than expected.

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

As a 97 he should get a look with our u23s at least - the guys we saw at Toulon looked pretty solid as well. 

Agreed. A 21 yr old CB that appears to be starting in Austrian B2 after gutting it out in the lower leagues for 3 seasons is the kind of mental toughness we need on the team. Cornelius, Sadiki and now Kennedy in the mix.

• 2 months later...

I think this guy deserves a look from John Herdman and Company

Certaintly for our U23 Team, as he’s a 97’ and eligible for the Tokyo Olympics 2020

As Said before a 21-year old Centre-Back in the Austrian Bundesliga 2 very good considering he came to Europe (Germany) as a 17 yo, battled out at the lower divisions and has won himself the Starting role for a club that’s currently in a relegation battle 

I would argue that he may be better than  Cornelius comparing the two levels they’re playing at

MNT May be calling should he move to descent Euro Div 1 

Edited by Thomas

7 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I think this guy deserves a look from John Herdman and Company

Certaintly for our U23 Team, as he’s a 97’ and eligible for the Tokyo Olympics 2020

As Said before a 21-year old Centre-Back in the Austrian Bundesliga 2 very good considering he came to Europe (Germany) as a 17 yo, battled out at the lower divisions and has won himself the Starting role for a club that’s currently in a relegation battle 

I would argue that he may be better than  Cornelius comparing the two levels they’re playing at

MNT May be calling should he move to descent Euro Div 1 

He probably should be given a look at some point but I would not argue that he is better than Cornelius or that the Austrian 2nd tier is better than the Serbian. First of all Cornelius has already played first tier while Kennedy is getting his first taste of 2nd tier. Also Kennedy is not exclusively playing as a defender, he is often in the midfield. I think the Austrian first division is moderately better than the Serbian because they have less teams and with more money they can buy more and better foreign players. I think that difference disappears in the 2nd tier when they are playing mostly domestic players. Kennedy is having a good year and seems to be one of the better players on his team although his team is a relegation candidate. He came out of nowhere and has risen through the tiers so hopefully will continue that. However, none of us have seen him play much other than a few highlight videos that I have posted here, many of which he is playing in midfield while with Cornelius we have seen a lot of film of him in the Serbian 1st tier plus watched him play with both the U20 and senior team where he has looked good. It is premature to be placing Kennedy at par with Cornelius let alone superior to him at this point. 

Scott and I have never discussed MNT.  However, he's a proud, patriotic Canadian and I suspect would he would welcome the opportunity.  I don't know Cornelius.  I watched a Youtube compilation of his play and he looks like a talented young man.  I have no comment on the difference between the Serbian league and the Austrian Bundesliga.  Scott continues to improve and grow.  To compare the two is natural, but not necessary.  They are different.  Scott has been playing in four different positions for Klagenfurt.  Right back, Centre back, left back and midfield.  He has scored two goals and it seems he has good scoring chances (and assists) every game.  I'm confident Scott will earn a look from the MNT.  Time will tell. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Vince193 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Kennedy_(soccer)

Made a wiki page for him. Feel free to add or correct anything! I couldn't find much on him unfortunately. 

So I looked at the page and clicked on his former team Grödig, apparently they have another Canadian playing for them, Valharam Sohail. I've never heard of him, he's listed as a defender. 

I can't imagine a 3rd tier Austrian team scouting in Canada, so they must have a connection over here. 

EDIT: Toje was already on it. 

Edited by shamrock

• 1 month later...

I don't see why he doesn't deserve a call-up at this point. I know his team hasn't been doing all that well, but seeing that Cornelius can't seem to make the 18 at a similar level, the French Guiana game will be a good opportunity to call-up a new prospect, such as Kennedy. With Ferreira out again for the foreseeable future, it is all the more important that young CB prospects like Kennedy and Cornelius come through (and ideally combined with a Tomori commitment).