CPL General

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Season long loans or bust.  Simple as that.  

Oh, and by season I mean playing season, the calender year.  None of this spring/fall crap.

Half season loans are pretty common in the soccer world. The advantage would be for the CPL team also. If the player was not working out they can free up some salary space to bring in another player that may help the team for the second half of the season.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Half season loans are pretty common in the soccer world. The advantage would be for the CPL team also. If the player was not working out they can free up some salary space to bring in another player that may help the team for the second half of the season.

Half season loans could also fit well with the summer transfer period, allowing for 2nd half of the season pick-ups of players being told to find another option.

I think what they are worried about is players being called back mid season, but that is why owners of contracts loan out players, to give them minutes and see them renew their value to the home club.

5 hours ago, Ruffian said:

True, half-season loans are probably more the rule than the exception but I don't think the practice will translate well for CPL. 

Who's coming to CPL on loan?  Today or in the foreseeable future?  The salary cap and the summer season sort of limit the options so by and large we have to expect its going to continue to be MLS players.  And I don't want CPL becoming the place where MLS players are sent so they can return to shape and then rejoin their parent club for the business end of the MLS season.  That's what reserve league are for, not development leagues.  I think the CPL has got it right, they have to be a development league if they want to succeed with their fan base and if they want to punch above their weight when recruiting players.

Forget what topic it was in but there where recently a few pages of back and forth about how one holds a value that the other does not. 

In five or six years, say after the World Cup Finals, when CPL's salary cap has doubled I may feel a little less guarded about how loans are handled but right now, nope.  Season long loans or bust.

But I would be willing to accept some creativity along that guide line.  Like say allowing that season long loan to begin late or terminate early ONLY to allow for the player in question to either finish/start the season with their parent club, provided that was agreed to before hand.  That would work against short term loans from MLS while keeping the door open for most of the winter leagues.    

Edited by Cheeta

31 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Who Nef? He's been right about many things and considering he's one of only a few guys who consistently reports on the league I'll keep posting links to his tweets. 

I agree.

Most of the actual coverage of this league comes from the league. And for the most part they do a good job.

But its nice to get some rumours as well.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I agree.

Most of the actual coverage of this league comes from the league. And for the most part they do a good job.

But its nice to get some rumours as well.

I'm all for rumours... I'm just not a big fan of "something big is coming" tweets. It's not saying anything, it's not even hinting at anything.

(This isn't an issue I have with Nef in particular, just that style of tweet in general)

18 hours ago, narduch said:

Maybe we will get salaries published.

I really like that we don't know what players are making in the CPL.  I don't enjoy most sports talk because it always ends up in cap management discussions.  

You judge the player based on their performance on the field. 

Edited by Stouffvillain

9 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I've never understood why a Union would do that...

Because wage secrecy always favours the employer. Especially when everyone is a contractor, if you don't know what everybody else makes, then you have very little leverage when it comes to contract negotiations.

Essentially, the employer can tell you they're offering you a great deal and you have no way to argue otherwise because there's no way of conclusively knowing what a "good" wage is at that club or in the league overall. Your only reliable way to negotiate for a better contract would be to play clubs off each other, but more inexperienced players aren't going to have that option.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

Because wage secrecy always favours the employer. Especially when everyone is a contractor, if you don't know what everybody else makes, then you have very little leverage when it comes to contract negotiations.

Essentially, the employer can tell you they're offering you a great deal and you have no way to argue otherwise because there's no way of conclusively knowing what a "good" wage is at that club or in the league overall. Your only reliable way to negotiate for a better contract would be to play clubs off each other, but more inexperienced players aren't going to have that option.

And in contracting, the other guys wont talk about what they charge and its usually the employer playing off you off against each other because you dont have any negotiating power at all.  The oil companies came in 5 years ago and said every contractor/service provider is getting 50% of what they made last week if they want to keep the work. 

I find it funny although we dont know the wages or cap, people talk about it like they do,  So and so makes this, he is the highest paid on the team and no one really knows for sure.   

16 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Most of the domestic players use the same 3-4 agents, so I'm sure they all know what each other are making.

Yeah probably. But its likely that the internationals will be the ones that have a higher pay compared to performance that would be more useful to know during negotiations

3 hours ago, grande said:

I have heard a third-hand rumour that the schedule will be coming out this week.

Accurate? Who knows... but my fingers are crossed.

I was hoping for this. I'm all in for buying season tickets for name-yet-to-be-confirmed Ottawa, but it would be nice to know the dates first.

Taking my cue from a comment about Twitter followers of Atlético Ottawa, here are the current numbers (changing by the minute, of course)

FC Edmonton: 16374

Cavalry: 8029

Forge: 7898

HFX Wanderers: 7691

Valour: 7652

Pacific: 5698

York9: 5433

Atlético Ottawa: 2719 > 3605 (12 hours later) > 4090 (36 hrs later)

Meanwhile, York9 has gone up 1, Forge 5, in the same half day. So much for the ripple effect....

Edited by Unnamed Trialist