1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m not against a mutually respectful and beneficial arrangement between the two leagues, but I’m just not sure what exactly either can stand to gain from the other... especially from a CPL standpoint; the CPL must avoid -at all costs- any appearance of becoming a ‘minor league’ as it were. The goal has to be something more closely resembling becoming the SPL to MLS’ EPL. 

I actually see CPL as the France "Ligue 1" of CONCACAF. Not as strong as "La Liga" (Liga MX) or "EPL" (MLS) overall but having it's top teams fully capable to compete against their teams like PSG does in CCL while the rest of the league develops good local talent.

That's why once pro/rel arrives, salary cap doesn't make sense on my opinion (or a soft cap with luxury tax) and allowing the 3 MLS clubs to spend however they want (respecting CPL roster rules) is the bare minimum for them even getting into the room to hear us out. (Post 2026)

I have no problem with TFC, Montreal, Vancouver being the Real, Barca and Atletico of CPL while Forge, Cavalry and others strive to be competitive and one day be at level like a Leicester.

That's how I see CPL in the future 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m not against a mutually respectful and beneficial arrangement between the two leagues, but I’m just not sure what exactly either can stand to gain from the other... especially from a CPL standpoint; the CPL must avoid -at all costs- any appearance of becoming a ‘minor league’ as it were. The goal has to be something more closely resembling becoming the SPL to MLS’ EPL. 

That is why I got a bit stuck on the Impact’s wording of their news release on the recent developments in Ottawa:

Fury FC were Montreal's lower-league affiliate 2017-19.”

Even as the Fury closed up shop, the impact made sure to situate them as subordinate in the soccer landscape.  I find it hard to think that MLS clubs wouldn’t promote a similar worldview with respect to any arrangements with CPL clubs without some very clearly demarcated boundaries.   

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I actually see CPL as the France "Ligue 1" of CONCACAF. Not as strong as "La Liga" (Liga MX) or "EPL" (MLS) overall but having it's top teams fully capable to compete against their teams like PSG does in CCL while the rest of the league develops good local talent.

That's why once pro/rel arrives, salary cap doesn't make sense on my opinion (or a soft cap with luxury tax) and allowing the 3 MLS clubs to spend however they want (respecting CPL roster rules) is the bare minimum for them even getting into the room to hear us out. (Post 2026)

I have no problem with TFC, Montreal, Vancouver being the Real, Barca and Atletico of CPL while Forge, Cavalry and others strive to be competitive and one day be at level like a Leicester.

That's how I see CPL in the future 

That works for me. 

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is why I got a bit stuck on the Impact’s wording of their news release on the recent developments in Ottawa:

Fury FC were Montreal's lower-league affiliate 2017-19.”

Even as the Fury closed up shop, the impact made sure to situate them as subordinate in the soccer landscape.  I find it hard to think that MLS clubs wouldn’t promote a similar worldview with respect to any arrangements with CPL clubs without some very clearly demarcated boundaries.   

Well the Fury were D2 in every sense of the word.  They really were effectively the farm club for Montreal like TFC2 is for TFC.  

This is exactly they reason why there is no MLS/CPL relationship.  The CPL is a D1 league and not a farm club league.   They may have smaller budgets but lots of leagues in Europe have smaller budgets than larger leagues in Europe but remain D1.  

This is true in CONCACAF as well.  The Central American Leagues are D1 for them but have smaller budgets. 

MLS wants both scrape off the top 3 markets in Canada and relegate the rest of the country to minor league status.

^ Sorry, couldn't help but laugh.

At our BoD meeting last night we reviewed some communications with the league including an answer to a question about away travel and how they can support Supporter Groups.

Our president basically said, release the damn schedule more than a week before the season so people can actually bloody plan for away games.

1 hour ago, ted said:

^ Sorry, couldn't help but laugh.

At our BoD meeting last night we reviewed some communications with the league including an answer to a question about away travel and how they can support Supporter Groups.

Our president basically said, release the damn schedule more than a week before the season so people can actually bloody plan for away games.

That is exactly why I am asking.

Cavalry FC coach Thommy Weeldon Jr. impressed the audience with a phrase that will let us meditate: "  With the CanPL we have just created seven new tribes in Canada, no one ever leaves his tribe! In the years to come, new tribes will be formed  "

Weeldon's been reading the forums.

It also recognizes that it is open to foreign investors as it has been with City Group or Red Bull in other countries.

RB Ottawa anyone?  

My CPL Season 1 CMNT 1st team and 2nd team:

Best XI

GK. Carducci   Cavalry.
LB. Abzi. York9.

CB. Zator. Cavalry.  
CB. Samuel. Forge. 

RB. Verhoven. Pacific. 
CM. Bekker.  Forge. 
CM. Bustos. Valour.  
CM. Carmargo. Valour. 
LW. Campbell. Pacific. 
F. Ongaro. Edmonton. 
RW. Borges. Forge. 

2nd Team:

GK. Ingham. York9

LB. Awuah. Forge

CB. Gasparotto. York9

CB. Trafford. Cavalry. 
RB. Doner. York9

CM. Aparicio. York9

CM. Carreiro. Valour. 
LW. Pasquotti. Cavalry. 
F. Fisk.  Pacific. 
RW. Petrasso. Valour.  

On 11/10/2019 at 12:46 PM, Ansem said:

One team wins by vastly outspending the others, one team represents a region that at times has tried to separate from the country, and one team wins considerably less and usually in heartbreaking fashion.  Yup, this all tracks.

Here's what is actually in the article:

... “Easton was actually a free agent at the end of the season, so he was one that we got into negotiations with right away, because any team could have come in for him,” Paulus told CanPL.ca. “We got that done and dusted as soon as possible, and we have him locked into a two-year deal. We’re delighted to have him back.” ...

Think you are reading more into that than is actually there.

The any team bit can just as easily mean those from outside the league and the text is so brief that it's not clear whether getting into negotiations Ongaro straight away had any impact on the ability of other CanPL teams to do the same given a local Edmonton player is involved.  

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/8749807-cpl-players-will-come-from-five-pools-/

...According to Clanachan, there will be five prioritized "buckets" or "pools" of player acquisition. The first four involve Canadian players only...

3. Home territory

This bucket would contain players that a team would identify to the league as coming from their immediate or regional market, and would be important to fan support and development. "One of the things we are adamant about is creating hometown heroes," Clanachan says. "There are a lot of great soccer players who will be, and are, coming out of Hamilton." You could envision former Mac players or, say, Hamilton-raised national team goalie Milan Borjan (now playing for Red Star Belgrade) on the list Forge FC submits.

...When the first four buckets have been completed, the more-than-50 per cent Canadian content should be fulfilled for all teams. The open market pool could be a mixture of Canadians and internationals...

Interesting point made on twitter:

Maybe any limit that may have been imposed on older imports will only apply to new signings coming into the league? Will be interesting to watch what happens with imports given the rumour of a league list of approved younger imports and a possible draft being involved in that regard.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting point made on twitter:

Maybe any limit that may have been imposed on older imports will only apply to new signings coming into the league? Will be interesting to watch what happens with imports given the rumour of a league list of approved younger imports and a possible draft being involved in that regard.

Looks like that change was just a rumour.  In his interview (posted on Wanderers thread) the owner, stated very clearly that the roster rules for 2020 are the same as 2019.  

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will give it a listen at some point. Have seen other things claimed elsewhere:

Sorry, I don’t really get what you’re calling into question? The fact that we’ve all heard otherwise is the basis for these tweets.

Could be a case of that:

https://www.fromaways.com/post/ep14-from-aways-meets-derek-martin

at 43:00 it is definitely confirmed that the roster rules are still 23 players and 7 imports, but at 32:00 he also talks about the league pooling resources on the scouting of international players and filtering through the vast pool of players that are potentially available based on factors like the age of the players and getting them in from leagues that are better than CanPL so that playing standards are raised. That confirms that the rumours of a change on how import players are recruited have been based on something concrete. If they are keeping the salary cap under wraps for the reasons discussed at 43:30 onwards, it's reasonable to speculate whether something similar could be happening on the exact mechanics of how players get recruited and signed.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot