CPL General

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Yes, we know that, but cite anything that has referred to both salary caps as one number.

I know what you're saying, but we take a lot of things from this league as "fact" without being able to directly cite the source.  The Media Pro amount, for instance.  What we know is that the commissioner, when pressed on the value of a salary cap, stated that the combined numbers would be "seven figures".  It doesn't mean they're directly one number, but I think that makes it clear that they are intertwined and that the league probably doesn't want a wealthier team like Hamilton staying within the player salary cap but blowing past everyone with a giant support staff.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What a mountain out of a mole hill. Sounds like they passed around a spreadsheet of potential targets from some agents and either tried to sign someone or not, totally optional.  

Yeah, it's just sensible. Without some sort of informal draft there's no real incentive for clubs to submit scout reports for a collective database since it would just be a free-for-all.

While I hate drafts generally, the idea is great. The clubs want to develop players to sell them on and the key to that is good scouting, but scouting staff are expensive and effective overseas scouting networks take a long time to develop. So pooling those resources to some extent is a brilliant way to fill that gap at this stage in the league's history.

So yeah, I really don't see what the problem is supposed to be.

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

What a mountain out of a mole hill. Sounds like they passed around a spreadsheet of potential targets from some agents and either tried to sign someone or not, totally optional.  

Yeah, I didn’t know enough about it to post any sort of strong opinion, but I never really understood why this was a big deal. 

I think what he's saying is the players available in the draft are optional. Like here are some players we've identified. You want to sign one? We think they're decent and they have expressed interest in playing in Canada

People are making things way too complicated

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think what he's saying is the players available in the draft are optional. Like here are some players we've identified. You want to sign one? We think they're decent and they have expressed interest in playing in Canada

People are making things way too complicated

Given how long the winter window is open for I wouldn't discount the possibility that they'll do another draft before it closes.

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Owundi, Malonga, Gattas (all solid, even key, contributors) leaving makes me worried that there is indeed a foreign player age cap in place.. Though I suppose Minatel is still here

Those specific guys, makes me think $$$ is the reason why they aren't coming back.