CPL General

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

How can extra money be spent, if there's a hard salary cap? Makes no sense. 

We need some clarity on the salary cap, especially with foreign investors coming into the league. 

I think it's more like offsetting costs than allowing new spending, at least, in regards to player wages.

As for the other elements in Mahith's list, well, those are all free game, and building an academy provides direct access to players that could potentially fill in when there's an injury on that short roster CPL has...

That said, I'd be surprised if Forge didn't have something worked out with Hamilton United Elite, the L1O club that's adding a men's team this year.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

How can extra money be spent, if there's a hard salary cap? Makes no sense. 

We need some clarity on the salary cap, especially with foreign investors coming into the league. 

Since the foreigners are coming in part to legally "launder", to reduce their taxables back home and take some of their benefits offshore, why not just let the CPL teams launder as well and pay players under the table.

I am only half joking, if you want to get into how money gets moved around illicitly in this nicely whitewashed soccer economy, we can.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since the foreigners are coming in part to legally "launder", to reduce their taxables back home and take some of their benefits offshore, why not just let the CPL teams launder as well and pay players under the table.

I am only half joking, if you want to get into how money gets moved around illicitly in this nicely whitewashed soccer economy, we can.

Remember in the CFL when guys like McNall used to have "personal services" contracts for its high profile American players like Rocket Ismail?

S

On 1/24/2020 at 9:11 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

And wasn't there a rumour that Gretzky signed one of these with Pocklington?

Rumour? It was reported openly at the time.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

How can you be qualified for a final championship round after only half a season?

That doesn't sound too serious to me, hope CPL knows enough to avoid that stuff. 

Because it's actually over 4/5 through the season - which runs from August to April. Only 5 games left to play - about 2/3 of the way through the second half of the season.

The use an opening/closing system like CPL and much of Central America - and won the opening tournament, automatically making the final championship. Meanwhile, Europa playoffs are on aggregate, and with 39 points already, and only 5 games left to play, the top team currently not in the Europa playoffs, can only hit 37 points (they are on 22).

On 1/24/2020 at 9:27 PM, Kent said:

When the CPL announcement seemed imminent, I stopped caring about the roster rules of American leagues. If anything this strengthens the CPL player pool.

I think you have to look at it this way, having as many playing opportunities for Canadians as possible and this rule change does not do that. Was every player available Canadian who had/is playing in USL been pursued by the CPL. For instances Ryan James choose to play in Pittsburgh in 2019, will he be a CPL target? We did not see Jordan Dunstan's name name thrown around in CPL discussions.  With a bigger player pool you need more teams or its useless. I am always about having as much opportunity as possible and this rule change takes away some of it.

52 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Because it is actually 4/5 through the season - which runs from August to April. Only 5 games left to play - about 2/3 of the way through the second half of the season.

The use an opening/closing system like CPL and much of Central America - and won the opening tournament, automatically making the final championship. Meanwhile, Europa playoffs are on aggregate, and with 39 points already, and only 5 games left to play, the top team currently not in the Europa playoffs, can only hit 37 points (they are on 22).

I was actually being facetious because of the set up in CPL, with the first half winner going to the final playoff. But have to say, the Belgian system is probably the most convoluted in Europe.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Rumour? It was reported openly at the time.

Didn’t know that. I was very young when he entered the league, only heard about it later. 

Is it true his choice of the number 99 was related to the expiry of the contract? And what happened to the deal when he was traded to LA?

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Didn’t know that. I was very young when he entered the league, only heard about it later. 

Is it true his choice of the number 99 was related to the expiry of the contract? And what happened to the deal when he was traded to LA?

It was widely reported at the time, but was largely inconsequential because there was no NHL salary cap to be circumvented back then.

Also, Gretzky wore 99 because his hero was Gordie Howe, who's number 9 was unavailable when he first joined his junior team.

51 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I think you have to look at it this way, having as many playing opportunities for Canadians as possible and this rule change does not do that. Was every player available Canadian who had/is playing in USL been pursued by the CPL. For instances Ryan James choose to play in Pittsburgh in 2019, will he be a CPL target? We did not see Jordan Dunstan's name name thrown around in CPL discussions.  With a bigger player pool you need more teams or its useless. I am always about having as much opportunity as possible and this rule change takes away some of it.

I'm with you here @Cblake.  It isn't good news for Canadians trying to make a career out of playing professional soccer.  I said in a previous post though I think it is good news in the short terms with regards to CPL expansion.  If Ottawa happens plus another club or two over the next couple of years these players will have a landing place while the CPL will be able to expand without seeing the quality of play drop.  

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Well, I haven't dug into old newspapers or anything - but I think it came up during one of Poclkington's financial crises, in terms of how he might get out of debt (by personally selling Gretzky).

I certainly recall jokes at the time, about the nature of personal services that were included ...

I don't think there was any issue with it, or it was trying to avoid something. It just was what it was ...

Edited by nfitz

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Well, I haven't dug into old newspapers or anything - but I think it came up during one of Poclkington's financial crises, in terms of how he might get out of debt (by personally selling Gretzky).

I certainly recall jokes at the time, about the nature of personal services that were included ...

I don't think there was any issue with it, or it was trying to avoid something. It just was what it was ...

My memory was it was put in place ahead of Edmonton joining the NHL so that they didn’t lose him to one of the existing teams. If you remember, when entering the NHL, the old WHA teams were only able to protect 2 players and a goalie and the existing teams took any player that they owned the rights too thereby raping their rosters.  A long way from what happened when Vegas entered the league. 

It's refreshing to see stuff like this on the league website:

https://canpl.ca/article/what-you-need-to-know-about-club-atletico-de-madrid-and-ottawa

...But, if there’s any one single takeaway from this new venture, it’s this – the world’s game has come to Canada, or, rather, Canada is being recognized as a soccer hub by the rest of the world. Financial investment into the growth of this sport, on this scale, by a club that can easily boast the sort of grandeur unlike most others? It’s a fantasy. It’s still surreal. And, come April, those red-and-white stripes will take on a Canadian tone, as the beautiful game grows in our own capital city.

Time to embrace being part of the global mainstream of the sport rather than going for the narrow walled-off exceptionalism mentality that was happening last year with the suggestion that there was an issue with diving that needed to be addressed before the world's greatest sport could be respected by Canadians.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

58 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's refreshing to see stuff like this on the league website:

https://canpl.ca/article/what-you-need-to-know-about-club-atletico-de-madrid-and-ottawa

...But, if there’s any one single takeaway from this new venture, it’s this – the world’s game has come to Canada, or, rather, Canada is being recognized as a soccer hub by the rest of the world. Financial investment into the growth of this sport, on this scale, by a club that can easily boast the sort of grandeur unlike most others? It’s a fantasy. It’s still surreal. And, come April, those red-and-white stripes will take on a Canadian tone, as the beautiful game grows in our own capital city.

Time to embrace being part of the global mainstream of the sport rather than going for the narrow walled-off exceptionalism mentality that was happening last year with the suggestion that there was an issue with diving that needed to be addressed before the world's greatest sport could be respected by Canadians.

I’m not quite sure how you’ve managed to turn that comment into an attack on a completely unrelated topic, but I can assure you that it’s not exceptionalism to state that diving in soccer is a hindrance to it being embraced by some Canadians

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I’m not quite sure how you’ve managed to turn that comment into an attack on a completely unrelated topic, but I can assure you that it’s not exceptionalism to state that diving in soccer is a hindrance to it being embraced by some Canadians

Honestly, the awkward segue made me laugh out loud in my living room while shaking my head.  

On 2/1/2020 at 7:30 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You know what,  if you get to keep bringing it up I get to keep disagreeing. 

Get rid of diving.