CPL General

14 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You're way ahead of me. I'm still wondering what the feck a pre-contract is!

....now I think I am going crazy .. went back to Molinaro's article and I see no mention of pre-signed contracts ... did I just make it up??

My understanding was that players in the pool would first reach an agreement with league front office about financial details and then the individual clubs will negotiate the other intangible details. The idea is to avoid a bidding war ..... but now I am wondering if I just imagined it ... I can't find reference to that.

...the plot thickens. Looks like precontract was mentioned in the original article and then removed:

The database of internationals will be fluid over the course of 2020, as new players will be added and signed to pre-contracts before being made available to all CPL clubs simultaneously. Teams will have to compete with one another over players, and sign them on a first come first serve basis.

Players signing pre-contracts with the league would be a bit of a bombshell revelation as it points to the league being a single entity, but think you should delete that ASAP if it was a private message rather than a tweet. Beyond that sounds like there will be an ongoing series of simultaneous something or others that we are not allowed to refer to as drafts.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

shrug.

So a player puts it out there what he'll need to come to Canada to play.  Big deal.  

Hi, Reggie from Kingston here.  Just wanted everyone to know I'm interested in giving the Canadian Premier League a go.  Really exited about the potential of your league and thinking my talents would be a great fit up there but just so I'm not wasting anybodies precious time a couple of things.  Going to need a $40K to relocate, plus of course coverage for all reasonable relocation costs to Canada and from Canada at seasons end (if necessary).  All other non-monetary intangibles negotiable.

Anyone interested?

Thanking you in advance

Reggie

P.S.  As you'll have been made aware by CPL HQ as a good faith measure I have pre-signed the above mentioned compensation requirement but would just like to remind everyone concerned this offer expires 14 Feb. so act fast! 

This is how pre-contracts usually work:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10710538/pre-contract-eriksen-inter-man-utd-tottenham-transfer/

...A pre-contract is an agreement between a player and a club committing to transfer the player's registration once their contract at their current club has expired.

Under the famous 1995 Bosman ruling, players can agree pre-contracts up to six months before the expiry of their contracts.

Fifa regulations state: "A club intending to conclude a contract with a professional must inform the player’s current club in writing before entering into negotiations with him...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

shrug.

So a player puts it out there what he'll need to come to Canada to play.  Big deal.  

Hi, Reggie from Kingston here.  Just wanted everyone to know I'm interested in giving the Canadian Premier League a go.  Really exited about the potential of your league and thinking my talents would be a great fit up there but just so I'm not wasting anybodies precious time a couple of things.  Going to need a $40K to relocate, plus of course coverage for all reasonable relocation costs to Canada and from Canada at seasons end (if necessary).  All other non-monetary intangibles negotiable.

Anyone interested?

Thanking you in advance

Reggie

P.S.  As you'll have been made aware by CPL HQ as a good faith measure I have pre-signed the above mentioned compensation requirement but would just like to remind everyone concerned this offer expires 14 Feb. so act fast! 

Is this Reggie Lambe in retirement in Jamaica? If so we don't want him in Ottawa, that guy was terrible!

With a few transfers to MLS either done or in the works, and Borges transfer to Belgium, CPL will quickly become known as a good platform for aspiring players.  As much as it hurts individual teams to lose top talent, the league as a whole will get stronger - due to both the incoming fees and  the league's reputation as a good career launch pad.   That sort of reputation will help a lot in terms of player recruitment and incentives. 

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

With a few transfers to MLS either done or in the works, and Borges transfer to Belgium, CPL will quickly become known as a good platform for aspiring players.  As much as it hurts individual teams to lose top talent, the league as a whole will get stronger - due to both the incoming fees and  the league's reputation as a good career launch pad.   That sort of reputation will help a lot in terms of player recruitment and incentives. 

Agreed. This is perhaps the biggest surprise for me following year one; that the CPL was able to unearth and showcase enough talent to generate CMNT call ups and foreign transfers. 

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Second tier in Belgium is not quite as good as a move to MLS but still gets him to a level that's legitimately fully pro and gets noticed unlike what Dylan Sacramento is doing. Shows CanPL isn't going to stand in players' way and if the team gets promoted it would suddenly look like a much better transfer for him.

Some clarifications about where he's going (pardon me if it was pointed out elsewhere already)

•  The team is already qualified for promotion playoffs finals
  • Qualified for Europa League Playoffs
  • Better finances, stadium, academies and structure than half the existing clubs currently in D1
  • Same ownership as Leicester City  
Capture.PNG.a0dc1571947b97dd7901a9479bd98056.PNG

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Some clarifications about where he's going (pardon me if it was pointed out elsewhere already)

•  The team is already qualified for promotion playoffs finals
  • Qualified for Europa League Playoffs
  • Better finances, stadium, academies and structure than half the existing clubs currently in D1
  • Same ownership as Leicester City  

How can you be qualified for a final championship round after only half a season?

That doesn't sound too serious to me, hope CPL knows enough to avoid that stuff. 

13 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

With a few transfers to MLS either done or in the works, and Borges transfer to Belgium, CPL will quickly become known as a good platform for aspiring players.  As much as it hurts individual teams to lose top talent, the league as a whole will get stronger - due to both the incoming fees and the league's reputation as a good career launch pad.   That sort of reputation will help a lot in terms of player recruitment and incentives. 

This completely depends on how these player transfers work out.