CPL General

On 1/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Goes to show that even a mild increase in the cap is necessary if the status quo means an inability to retain key players

That mild increase may might threaten the economic viability of some clubs at this point. They probably won't start raising the cap until at least year 3 or when they get to 10 clubs.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insights in to CPL apparel sales. I tried to order a Pacific jersey last month and they were sold out. I seemed to see a lot jerseys and such on fans from watching games. I would have to think Macron and CPL was pretty happy. I thought the gear looked pretty good overall 

Edited by SpursFlu

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/canadian-premier-league-pools-resources-for-best-international-talent

...Heading into its second season this spring, the national pro soccer league has partnered with 21st Club, a data and analytics groups based out of London, England, to help identify players outside of Canada and make them available to the various teams around the country.

It’s a new approach to international recruitment, which should benefit all the CPL clubs and improve the quality of play...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 1/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, SpursFlu said:

I'm wondering if anyone has any insights in to CPL apparel sales. I tried to order a Pacific jersey last month and they were sold out. I seemed to see a lot jerseys and such on fans from watching games. I would have to think Macron and CPL was pretty happy. I thought the gear looked pretty good overall 

When people talk about league sponsorship, the Macron deal always seems to get left out.  From what I hear, CPL are getting more from this sponsorship deal than the CFL.  When the CFL heard what CPL were getting, I heard they were in complete disbelief.  I believe it was in the range of 25 million, but could be a bit higher.

In terms of Valour, the merch sold like hot cakes.  The demand completely overwhelmed the WFC.  We did not get free jerseys here, and they sold tons.  Most sizes were sold out within days.  

4 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

When people talk about league sponsorship, the Macron deal always seems to get left out.  From what I hear, CPL are getting more from this sponsorship deal than the CFL.  When the CFL heard what CPL were getting, I heard they were in complete disbelief.  I believe it was in the range of 25 million, but could be a bit higher.

In terms of Valour, the merch sold like hot cakes.  The demand completely overwhelmed the WFC.  We did not get free jerseys here, and they sold tons.  Most sizes were sold out within days.  

You mean relative to new era?

It confirms a lot of the mechanics of how the process unfolded, so no idea how you could have reached that conclusion.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/canadian-premier-league-pools-resources-for-best-international-talent

...“It’s an innovative approach,” said Pacific FC CEO Rob Friend. “Part of the advantage in the Canadian Premier League as clubs and owners is that we’re a collective group that can make collective decisions, and by doing that you can make very strategic and innovative decisions instead of having every man for himself...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 1/17/2020 at 2:55 PM, Ansem said:

It seems they are simply brokers for smaller and less powerful agents. Which makes sense, they are meeting a need, which is where minor agents representing lower-level pros do not have the scale to reach the complexity and diversity of low-level pro leagues around the world.

The only long term question I would have is if other similar entities appear, and if that will mean exclusive listing or multi-listing. 

I also suppose that commissions will just be divided up amongst more agents and player brokers, which is what happens now in any case, commissions on transfers are sliced up amongst many of the dealing parts.  

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It seems they are simply brokers for smaller and less powerful agents. Which makes sense, they are meeting a need, which is where minor agents representing lower-level pros do not have the scale to reach the complexity and diversity of low-level pro leagues around the world

I'm amazed by the amount of unnecessary diminutive terms you fit into this

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It confirms a lot of the mechanics of how the process unfolded, so no idea how you could have reached that conclusion.

I would call a database of player info a scouting tool -- one of many -- that a team might employ to help decide who is of interest. I would call a draft a formal process to arbitrate the selection of particular players in an ordered way. Neither one necessitates the other.

15 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

I would call a database of player info a scouting tool -- one of many -- that a team might employ to help decide who is of interest. I would call a draft a formal process to arbitrate the selection of particular players in an ordered way. Neither one necessitates the other.

We have also had newspaper stories in Jamaica talking about a draft and at least one prominent blogger/podcaster claiming to have been told the outcome of it:

On 1/19/2020 at 6:33 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

We have also had newspaper stories in Jamaica talking about a draft and at least one prominent blogger/podcaster claiming to have been told the outcome of it:

So the latest Molinaro article dismisses the notion of a draft: https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-takes-unique-approach-to-scouting-international-players

I even tweeted for clarification at Molinaro and he was nice enough to DM me:

This is all very strange.

3 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

So the latest Molinaro article dismisses the notion of a draft: https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-takes-unique-approach-to-scouting-international-players

I even tweeted for clarification at Molinaro and he was nice enough to DM me:

Likely those who incorrectly mentioned a draft was just a case of lost in translation along the way/misinterpreting something that was said.

Good on you for having the issue of no draft clarified.

5 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Not really. How many times do we see a half-fact get conflated with some idea to become a great fiction that strikes some kind of chord with too many people. It develops wings and never looks back.

Nice when people on this board go the other way and do independent fact checking. Thanks for this.