CPL General

Why would a Jamaican reporter make something like this up complete with named players and attributed quotes? You can't just dismiss information that is from a mainstream media outlet because you don't like the idea of the league having an entry draft when we have been told by several people with inside sources that this could be happening. If it's inaccurate the league related twitter accounts that are being contacted about it should have no problem sending a quick tweet to state the information is incorrect. Something to keep an eye on over the next couple of days.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Why would a Jamaican reporter make something like this up complete with named players and attributed quotes? You can't just dismiss information that is from a mainstream media outlet because you don't like the idea of the league having an entry draft when we have been told by several people with inside sources that this could be happening. If it's inaccurate the league related twitter accounts that are being contacted about it should have no problem sending a quick tweet to state the information is incorrect. Something to keep an eye on over the next couple of days.

As mentioned above, you also accept his clear statement about a 10 team league in 2020? 

I'm generally confused about CanPL signing practices, I'm not surprised a Jamaican reporter might be too, or that the Jamaican coach he quotes might be equally in the dark.

This might be for a draft or just as likely it is for the pool of potential young import players we've heard rumours about, which makes some sense in terms of taking the scouting load off individual clubs and allowing them to spend more of their resources developing Canadian players.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

7 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

As mentioned above, you also accept his clear statement about a 10 team league in 2020?

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That part of the article has no directly attributed quotes unlike the info about named Jamaican players going into a U-23 draft for CanPL. The 10 team part looks like background filler to the article that could easily be a case of the journalist doing a quick google search and lifting information from old David Clanachan quotes in articles from about six to twelve months ago when 10 teams in 2020 was still the stated expectation. 

I think this supports the narrative of avoiding older foreign players. It also very smart from economical perspective. If you can uncover some hidden jems and sell on its only upside from a dollars and cents perspective as well as from an exposure standpoint off these players go on to make an impact in other leagues

I believe it.. too specific to make up and why would someone make that up?

Edited by SpursFlu

Why would a Jamaican reporter make something like this up complete with named players and attributed quotes?

I doubt he's making up all the stuff about the players etc. But good reporting would not casually mention a CPL draft. They would understand that's pretty big news not otherwise talked about, and would offer something more like verifiable info to substantiate the claim. They didn't do that. No matter how you look at it, it's shoddy reporting. Doesn't mean it might not be true. I doubt it. More likely that whatever is happening has some very tangental connection to the CPL by 3 or 4 degrees of separation. The reporter seems to be sloppily making a link. I need a lot more than this report to believe it. For example, the CPL, one of the CPL coaches or owners, or OneSoccer.

So CanPL has been working closely with SI Games the past month - providing internal details etc.

Now obviously, the league isn't obligated to be completely honest about everything, but interesting to comb through the new Football Manager DLC for information.

Salary Cap for just players = $1m CAD (so if the trusted twitter account is to be believed - maybe he meant $800k USD which corresponds to $1m CAD)

$10k fine for clubs failing to play u21 > 1000 min

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

Little offseason pickup game. Outdoor Pro's vs Some Indoor Pro's for a few bucks.

https://youtu.be/p6iJVasLgoE

A few guys I see are Babouli, Borges, Raheem Edwards, Johnny Grant. Majority of the indoor players played for the now dead Mississauga Metros. 

There's some good quality ball being played. 

Babouli was the best there. Edwards didn't hustle on D and cost a goal.

19 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Did that include the coaches or players only?

When has "salary cap" EVER, anywhere on the planet, in any sport, included coaching staff?

I think you started this nonsensical line of thinking last year and am genuinely curious where such a bizarro concept comes from.

2 hours ago, ted said:

When has "salary cap" EVER, anywhere on the planet, in any sport, included coaching staff? ...

It was mentioned repeatedly when the league was launching that there was a salary cap for the coaching staff as well as the players. This has often been cited as the alleged reason for JDG being opposed to CanPL in an Ottawa context with the implication being that he would have had to take a significant pay cut. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

It was mentioned repeatedly when the league was launching that there was a salary cap for the coaching staff as well as the players. This has often been cited as the alleged reason for JDG being opposed to CanPL in an Ottawa context with the implication being that he would have had to take a significant pay cut. 

Yes, we know that, but cite anything that has referred to both salary caps as one number.

From the same Reddit thread: "Curt Larson did a video question and answer session with Pat Sweet from Northern 90 back in the summer and he mentioned the player cap was about $1 million (with a separate allocation for staff). Still relatively low but if the players get free housing and other little allowances it would make up for the low figure"