CPL General

12 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Borges has to get a CanMNT call ASAP.  It would be a bad look for future players if a 21 year old who just won every award can't get a call up still.  

The CanMNT should not be basing call ups on "what would look bad for future players".  I'm not saying Borges should or shouldn't, just that that's not how it should be done.

13 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Borges has to get a CanMNT call ASAP.  It would be a bad look for future players if a 21 year old who just won every award can't get a call up still.  

I think Borges signing on with a bigger league will be a better look than a call up to a camp where he probably wont see the field.  If those current USL and NCAA kids see CPL as a spot for CDN to get min and advacne their carer they'll come.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

What happened to all the last round of "people in the know" tweets about age related limits on the INT players??  Was that all a bunch of Twitter baloney?  I dont remember hearing any official word on any rule changes.  

The official word on rule changes is that there will be no rule changes, foreign player rules are identical to this past season. However, the collective scouting database of young foreign players is real, which I think is what made a bunch of people think there would be weird age restrictions. All per Wanderers owner Derek Martin on the recent From Aways podcast.

https://www.fromaways.com/post/ep14-from-aways-meets-derek-martin

On 11/27/2019 at 9:23 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

I think he has a great future, but judging him based off his performances in a first year league shouldn't warrant a NT cap. I'd like to see him move to a higher level so we can better judge his quality. At the moment the CanPL is about the same level as the USL. 

14 hours ago, Zem said:

The official word on rule changes is that there will be no rule changes, foreign player rules are identical to this past season. However, the collective scouting database of young foreign players is real, which I think is what made a bunch of people think there would be weird age restrictions. All per Wanderers owner Derek Martin on the recent From Aways podcast.

https://www.fromaways.com/post/ep14-from-aways-meets-derek-martin

That's actually about perfect really. It's a tool in the box but the league isn't tied into it. 

11 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

That's actually about perfect really. It's a tool in the box but the league isn't tied into it. 

No offense to anyone that puts together a podcast, I greatly appreciate the hard work, but I do wish that podcasts weren't the preferred and only way some of this CPL information was released. It's too niche. Can't someone just summarize the key pieces of the interview. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there was a CanPL draft for U-23 players yesterday in Toronto:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20191220/four-rspl-players-canada-pl-draft

Cavalier’s attackers Alex Thomas, and Nicholas Hamilton, Mount Pleasant midfielder Kevaughn Isaacs, and Molynes United’s Nicholas Nelson could be plying their trade overseas as they have been entered into the Canadian Premier League (CPL) draft, which is scheduled for today in Toronto....“These players are some of the best players that Jamaica has to offer that are under 23 years old because this draft is concentrated on [that cohort], so that is the reason why they have been chosen.”

so looks like the rumoured change on international players is probably happening.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Apparently there was a CanPL draft for U-23 players yesterday in Toronto:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20191220/four-rspl-players-canada-pl-draft

Cavalier’s attackers Alex Thomas, and Nicholas Hamilton, Mount Pleasant midfielder Kevaughn Isaacs, and Molynes United’s Nicholas Nelson could be plying their trade overseas as they have been entered into the Canadian Premier League (CPL) draft, which is scheduled for today in Toronto....“These players are some of the best players that Jamaica has to offer that are under 23 years old because this draft is concentrated on [that cohort], so that is the reason why they have been chosen.”

so looks like the rumoured change on international players is probably happening.

The same article claims there are 10 teams in the CPL in 2020, so you can probably throw the whole article in the rubbish...

16 hours ago, Rintaran said:

The same article claims there are 10 teams in the CPL in 2020, so you can probably throw the whole article in the rubbish...

That part of the article has no directly attributed quotes unlike the info about named Jamaican players going into a U-23 draft for CanPL. The 10 team part looks like background filler to the article that could easily be a case of the journalist doing a quick google search and lifting information from old David Clanachan quotes in articles from about six to twelve months ago when 10 teams in 2020 was still the stated expectation. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That part of the article has no directly attributed quotes unlike the info about named Jamaican players going into a U-23 draft for CanPL. The 10 team part looks like background filler to the article that could easily be a case of the journalist doing a quick google search and lifting information from old David Clanachan quotes in articles from about six to twelve months ago when 10 teams in 2020 was still the stated expectation. 

bad reporting is bad reporting