CPL new teams speculation

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Unrelated, but reminding me about the Fury drama and JDG's shade throwing toward the CPL reminded me of something he said on TSN this week. In one of those daily countdown to Qatar shows (maybe on Thursday or Wednesday) he was talking about positive strides in the pro game in Canada over the recent years. I can't remember exactly what lead into it but he was clearly alluding to the CPL but instead of saying "CPL" or "Canadian Premier League" he said "the domestic leagues". Maybe I misinterpreted and he was bundling the MLS expansion into Canada with the CPL founding, but it really sounded like he just didn't want to explicitly mention the CPL as if he has a beef with them.

It honestly doesn't shock me that he'd be that petty. The man was good on the pitch, but I lost pretty much all respect for him with the way he acted off the pitch and toward the CPL. 

Thats just sad that a hero for canada and a real trailblazer for kids playing in europe would be that petty.  I hope that isnt the case and he's let it all die because I'd rather have him on board and everyone pulling in the same direction.  The other guys dont have any problems mentioning CPL, L10, PLSQ etc.  He doesnt have to be a cheer leader, just dont be a dick, there are enough of them around as it is, and he has a big megaphone from the sports desk.  

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

JDG is a CMNT legend. He shouldn't be getting grief on here over something this trivial and petty. Given his Simcoe Rovers involvement there's an obvious reason why he would think in terms of domestic leagues that have nothing to do with the usual CanPL vs MLS obsessions.

I had forgotten about the Simcoe ownership. That could be why he went generic, to include L1O, L1BC, and PLSQ as well. I can't remember the exact wording that lead up to it, so I don't recall how reasonable it was, or wasn't, that I was anticipating him to say CPL.

Good to see someone else ( @Cheeta) saw it as well and it didn't give him the same impression. So it was probably nothing.

I don't think JDG was that petty defening Fury. I mean, he was fanatically obstinate, but I sort of understood it.

It is just these guys with no real experience outside football being homers or defending their jobs, in a not altogether balanced way. Hume, before he settled into his One Soccer work, was also excessively big-headed and self-aggrandizing, he felt he still had enough to be playing just 2 years ago and accused Brennan, think it was, of lying to him. Not all these ex-players handle reality that well after retirement.

Julian always seemed like a positive guy, but one thing I don't get is his return to Canada to continue his life in soccer, where pickings are so slim. 

6 hours ago, narduch said:

There was a lot of CEBL fawning on this forum recently. 

Their champions are relocating.

It is simony because their arena in Hamilton, First Ontario Centre is going to be closed for two years due to a major renovation. The CEBL similar to the CPL has venue standards and university gyms are not deemed not suitable. Thats the reason the New Foundland team was shut down. CEBL took a chance on the St. John's market hoping that Mile One Arena would become available which it did not due to an ongoing dispute and another team in US league ended up with a lease there. This is not about the two league's against each other, it comes what the market takes to and spends there entertainment dollars there. Canada is an interesting sports market if you look at the sports teams, leagues that have come and gone over the years. There are always ups and downs. 

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

In light of this update, what you're estimate for a Montreal CPL?

I'm thinking 2027 right after the world cup. Québec City success will be a huge factor in getting a solid and serious project done.

I still maintain that the club will be on Montreal Island. TFC being downtown by the lack (prime location) and the Whitecaps being downtown (prime location), it isn't quite the case for CF Montreal.

NDG? Parc Jarry (Little Italy / Parc Extension / Villeray)? Downtown (bassin Peel)? Will be interesting to watch out for it.

Edited by Ansem

I believe what's more important on the Montreal Island, is that every tiny neighborhood gets their team up and join the PLSQ before we talk of CPL in Montreal.

These D3 teams will flourish and I believe we will have relegation/promotion within 10 years in the Canadian pyramid.

Makes no sense to pay the fee, the stadium if there is no structure underneath it. It's not like Montreal is a virgin market like Halifax, there is already alot of competitions for players in Montreal.

PLSQ should get to 18-20 teams before we can start to think of a 4th and 5th division like Ontario is doing.

There is a team in Beauport, and I could see Ste-Foy & Levis having a D3 team around Québec. Add Trois-Rivières, Sherbrooke, Gatineau and maybe 1 in saguenay and who knows..

This new Canadian woman's professional soccer league could help expansion of the CanPL.  A 2nd tenant should help soccer specific stadiums get built.  I could see Saskatoon and Quebec City stadium project gain traction with the potential of a 2nd tenant.  An additional tenant in Halifax, Calgary, Langley and Langford would help with stadium revenue.  And perhaps soccer soccer specific stadium down the road in Winnipeg.

8 hours ago, K Edgar said:

...A 2nd tenant should help soccer specific stadiums get built...

Which kind of begs the question of why it wasn't an integral part of the CanPL project from the get go. Second set of salary, air travel and hotel costs not expected to be covered by the extra gate and sponsorship revenue being the probable answer.

16 hours ago, K Edgar said:

This new Canadian woman's professional soccer league could help expansion of the CanPL.  A 2nd tenant should help soccer specific stadiums get built.  I could see Saskatoon and Quebec City stadium project gain traction with the potential of a 2nd tenant.  An additional tenant in Halifax, Calgary, Langley and Langford would help with stadium revenue.  And perhaps soccer soccer specific stadium down the road in Winnipeg.

That is assuming the 2 soccer teams don't cannibalize each other with respect to the fan base.

I'm surprised all the criticism and skepticism that surrounded the CPL launch hasn't been directed towards this new league. You can take all that and times it by 10.

I really think it's not a good move to try and go out side of the structure put together by CSB and CPL. Anyways good luck to them. Hopefully Christine Sinclair hasn't put up her own money. Equal pay doesn't exist in the world of business 

I do thinknits smart to link the woman's teams to existing clubs like they do all around the world. If the Whitecaps own a team and call them the Vancouver SnowCaps or something dumb I wouldn't be surprised 

Edited by SpursFlu

32 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm surprised all the criticism and skepticism that surrounded the CPL launch hasn't been directed towards this new league...

They are talking about playing most regular season games in conference, i.e. not being an air travel league. It remains to be seen if it is fully professional or more of a hybrid sort of model.

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Semi-pro bus league with MLS farm teams......he wants to say it soooooo bad.  Thats why he isnt at all negative, its everything he ever dreamed of having for the men as well.  X-mas has come early for him.  

They specifically said over 1 million in salary cap and working to a minimum 35k/year minimum salary. So it's pro.

But he latches on to the conferences model, which has not been explained further, and he lathers on "semi-pro", it's foaming at the mouth. There are conferences in the NBA, NHL, CFL, last I looked. 

The least you should do is actually read what they say and combine the information in your head in a balanced way.