CPL new teams speculation

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

What’s target? Ottawa and Forge are over 5k

Come on Aird, we all can see that all the attendance numbers are about twice the real number.  Which i deduced from catching a bit of the stands during the highlights, ie crowd shots during anthem, and half glimpses during goal celebrations.  In stadiums I have never been to mind you, and I dont listen to the actual people who go to the games as they are obviously super positive shills for CPL management.  

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Come on Aird, we all can see that all the attendance numbers are about twice the real number.  Which i deduced from catching a bit of the stands during the highlights, ie crowd shots during anthem, and half glimpses during goal celebrations.  In stadiums I have never been to mind you, and I dont listen to the actual people who go to the games as they are obviously super positive shills for CPL management.  

Okay buddy. I've missed maybe 4 or 5 Forge games in its existence. I can't speak to Ottawa's numbers, but the total available tickets for Forge is about 5700. As much as I'd like it to be true, there's no way that the available seats have averaged ninety percent occupancy. Are there a significant number of no-shows that have been sold? Probably. Tickets are pretty cheap in some of the sections, and I'd guess the club seats have a reasonable number of no-shows on a given week since there is no resale market for tickets. But ninety percent sold...I would be very surprised. However, attendance is definitely up significantly this season.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I imagine the pandemic and CSA issues have stalled, or at least slowed expansion 

I think the 16 team number came out a year or two ago (ie post-lockdown). I think it's their aim, but I don't think the league will be upset if they don't hit it.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:13 PM, Watchmen said:

I think the 16 team number came out a year or two ago (ie post-lockdown). I think it's their aim, but I don't think the league will be upset if they don't hit it.

Suspect some of the less emotionally invested initial investors like the Blue Bombers will actually be less than thrilled about that.

16 teams would have meant $80 million in expansion fees for Bob Young & Co in the short to medium term on top of the cash bonanza that was coming their way in 2026 thanks to Victor Montagliani agreeing to a fixed annual fee rather than a percentage of the overall take.

Good luck getting people to part with $10 million when the national team rosters and federal politicians are gunning for the CSB deal and York is often drawing in low three digits in terms of actual crowds in Canada's largest media market.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Haligonian#1 said:

In what way?

Like you can never apply conventional wisdom. They present themselves as being super euro but they seem to be mostly in to hockey and baseball. Just when you think they're gonna zig they zag. You'd think they're all sophisticated but then seem to just want a ham and egg sandwich. I don't know maybe it's because I'm way over here. I'm just confused. Maybe one day I'll go there and see for myself. I would think they'd be all over a cpl team but it seems like pulling teeth

Seems like the 3 possibilities are Kelowna, Quebec and Edmonton.

I will be disappointed if Edmonton is not back by 2025. Too big a city not to have a professional club. Any news there?

Nice to hear they are trying to find investors for a Quebec team, but if they haven't secured investors by now I cannot see them making 2025. 

Things seemed positive around Kelowna, are there known investors for the project? If not I will assume they are not 1 of the 2 rumoured teams.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Seems like the 3 possibilities are Kelowna, Quebec and Edmonton.

I will be disappointed if Edmonton is not back by 2025. Too big a city not to have a professional club. Any news there?

Nice to hear they are trying to find investors for a Quebec team, but if they haven't secured investors by now I cannot see them making 2025. 

Things seemed positive around Kelowna, are there known investors for the project? If not I will assume they are not 1 of the 2 rumoured teams.

I think its the same guys from Pacific and Langley. 65. On the AFTN podcast recently they said they learned their lesson from Langley not to rush in and if they can, take an extra year

Edited by SpursFlu

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its the same guys from Pacific and Langley. 65. On the AFTN podcast recently they said they learned their lesson from Langley not to rush in and if they can, take an extra year

Well I think that puts Kelowna ahead of Quebec.

I hope the Quebec team is Beauport. Tweet says Quebec based club, so probably a Ligue 1 Quebec team and hopefully one from Quebec City. That's a pretty large metro without a club....750k

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Like you can never apply conventional wisdom. They present themselves as being super euro but they seem to be mostly in to hockey and baseball. Just when you think they're gonna zig they zag. You'd think they're all sophisticated but then seem to just want a ham and egg sandwich. I don't know maybe it's because I'm way over here. I'm just confused. Maybe one day I'll go there and see for myself. I would think they'd be all over a cpl team but it seems like pulling teeth

Well FC Montreal does not sell out and they are having a pretty decent season. Would a smaller urban area in Quebec provide good CPL crowds? Hopefully! Beauport is close to Quebec City, yes?

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

This is brilliant. You can probably hear me laughing all the way out in the Valley if you stick your head out the window.

Edited by nolando

40 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Well FC Montreal does not sell out and they are having a pretty decent season. Would a smaller urban area in Quebec provide good CPL crowds? 

Quebec City's only pro team are the Capitales in minor league baseball, who draw around 3000, so in theory there's an underserved market, but whether that's true in practice, TBD. Certainly it's a lot less crowded than Montreal in terms of sports.

48 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

No home games in August.  If the wildfire stuff continues, they'll have to contend with smoke postponements

Thought about that already. Just something to potentially work around I guess. Not to the same extent probably, but Calgary had several smokey days this year and none of them kept the footy away.

edmonton is way down on noonans list...hes a very cautious person and made it clear its not happening without a proper stadium solution...so yeah no way thats happening by 2025...goal is likely one bc or ontario team + quebec for 2025 and making sure everyone else survives...+hfx needs a stadium solution for 2025...york needs new ownership and new ownership would probably be beneficial for valour and one of the sixfive teams...so a lot of work to do with existing teams + trying to find the right ownerships and stadiums to get new teams in...noonan has lot on his plate