CPL new teams speculation

Well just like the CPL, what it ends up being prob wont be exactly what they are talking about now.  Most people understand that and dont whine about it the rest of their lives.  It'll be a tough go, but I hope everyone interested in getting a womens pro team works together and they can get it off the ground.  Whether its the Forge ownership group, Athletico or Saputo etc, where are the owners going to come from? Then the stadiums...but just like MLS blazed a path for CPL to follow, this new league can build on what worked and didnt with the CPL. 

Whats the old saying, a rising tide floats all boats??  It will be exciting, the new BC team, hopefully, finally Saskatoon and Quebec CPL expansion and a new womens league. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Semi-pro bus league with MLS farm teams......he wants to say it soooooo bad.  Thats why he isnt at all negative, its everything he ever dreamed of having for the men as well.  X-mas has come early for him.  

It's just another excuse to rip on the CPL for him.

I doubt he cares much about the women's game at all. First I ever saw him in the CanWNT sub forum was to continue to harp on about how bad the CPL is

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2023 at 9:13 AM, Watchmen said:

On AFTN's latest podcast, he says he's hearing in BC soccer circles that Kelowna is "a shoe in" for 2024.

https://aftn.ca/episode-544-the-aftn-soccer-show/

I'm still thinking a 2025 launch.  I am not confident that they can get their ducks in a row facility-wise 14 months from now.

• 4 weeks later...

This is for those who thought that putting a CPL club in Montreal would be suicidal

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/541043/le-quebec-la-province-la-moins-interessee-par-le-sport-professionnel

According to Angus Reid

•Only 2% of Quebecers follows MLS regularly

•Only 6% of Quebecers identify themselves as "casual" fans

•71% of Quebecers have no interest in MLS 

So...

CPL in both Quebec City and Montreal Island have plenty of room for growth 

Edited by Ansem

On 2/16/2023 at 9:30 PM, Ansem said:

This is for those who thought that putting a CPL club in Montreal would be suicidal

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/541043/le-quebec-la-province-la-moins-interessee-par-le-sport-professionnel

According to Angus Reid

•Only 2% of Quebecers follows MLS regularly

•Only 6% of Quebecers identify themselves as "casual" fans

So...

CPL in both Quebec City and Montreal Island have plenty of room for growth 

I'm not sure those stats are sufficient. What are the reasons they have no interest in MLS? Is it because they don't like that CF Montreal plays American teams? Or they don't like the retirement league/DP player aspect of it? If those are their reasons, that could be good news for CPL. If their reasons are that they hate soccer or the quality of players in MLS is too low so they prefer watching the big leagues in Europe, well then that's not that great for CPL.

28 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm not sure those stats are sufficient. What are the reasons they have no interest in MLS? Is it because they don't like that CF Montreal plays American teams? Or they don't like the retirement league/DP player aspect of it? If those are their reasons, that could be good news for CPL. If their reasons are that they hate soccer or the quality of players in MLS is too low so they prefer watching the big leagues in Europe, well then that's not that great for CPL.

I never thought that their marketing was decent. "Impact" was from an other era and only die hard fans are causing drama over the rebrand

The rebrand marketing was horrible

Quebec being so nationalistic, having Quebec stars and make them the face of the club would help but surprisingly, they can't even do that 

Stadium location isn't great either.

The French expat and immigrants don't really care about both clubs and league.

No presence of CF Montreal anywhere downtown like Pacific with their stores. Marketing is very meh and even worst on the West Island and suburbs.

CF Montreal is a niche product who can't draw most of the Island. I appreciated it as a fan but understood why they struggled so much for Quebec media attention who openly snub and mock them on social media. 

There's a bunch of factors which explains how little they actually draw unless they make CCL or MLS playoffs deep runs - losing at least $12M + consistently confirms it.

CPL needs to nail location, identity, Quebec players, French, ownership, infrastructure and win/qualify in CCL.

The optimal thing would be a club at Parc Jarry in an attractive soccer specific stadium with roof owned by a French Ligue 1 giant who would loan/sign French guy + local Quebec talent who could be like Choiniere, Abzi or Farsi. Having a Ligue 1 owner would get the attention of both media and French expat.

There's potential if you nail all the above

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

The optimal thing would be a club at Parc Jarry in an attractive soccer specific stadium with roof owned by a French Ligue 1 giant who would loan/sign French guy + local Quebec talent who could be like Choiniere, Abzi or Farsi. Having a Ligue 1 owner would get the attention of both media and French expat.

There's potential if you nail all the above

You'd need to be nailing like Mike Holmes to get all that done.  Or Mike Tyson, or Magic Mike:  however you want to use the verb "nail."

A challenging market, for sure.

On 2/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, Ansem said:

Actually, this is very misleading and you then avoided answering @Kent's question.  What the pole actually said was that 71% of Quebecers have no interest in THE SPORT.  That ranks as one of the higher amounts in the country

@red card provided the link to the pole and the breakdown over the in the MLS thread:

There's a CanPL vs MLS agenda to be pushed though, while most mainstream soccer people in Canada would be more interested in the general interest level in soccer trend.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:29 AM, red card said:

...Demographics of those follow closely to closely skews urban, male (by only 1%), 18-34, <$50k household income, <=high school education, English language, Indigenous/visible minority...

Think most of those trends and the urban vs rural contrast tie into immigration patterns as much as anything else. Would be interesting to see how CanPL numbers would compare to MLS ones in Atlantic Canada and the Prairies along with how interest in overseas leagues like the English Premiership compares in the provinces with MLS teams but whoever commissioned the poll probably was only after the soccer vs hockey vs baseball vs basketball vs gridiron angle.

1361889211_Screenshot2023-02-16221729.jp

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 2/18/2023 at 10:43 AM, Watchmen said:

Actually, this is very misleading and you then avoided answering @Kent's question.  What the pole actually said was that 71% of Quebecers have no interest in THE SPORT.  That ranks as one of the higher amounts in the country

@red card provided the link to the pole and the breakdown over the in the MLS thread:

Thanks for clarifying the survey. As for not answering @Kentquestions, I did provide insight as to why CF Montreal didn't draw.

As for MLS as a league, everyone would have their own reasons I suppose. When I was a fan of following MLS prior to CPL, I mostly only cared about the Canadian clubs. The rest of the league was uninteresting to me for the most part. Contrarily to the other big 4, MLS doesn't have the biggest stars, the best quality of play nor is the best league in the world let alone on this continent. As North Americans, we're used to see the biggest stars playing in the best league. So you're pretty much left with cheering for clubs that are closeto you or country. From that perspective, it makes sense.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's a CanPL vs MLS agenda to be pushed though, while most mainstream soccer people in Canada would be more interested in the general interest level in soccer trend.

My point is that there's more than enough room for CPL to thrive on Montreal Island. They can both succeed 

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

My point is that there's more than enough room for CPL to thrive on Montreal Island. They can both succeed 

Only a matter of time before CanPL expands to the province of Quebec.  Difficult to not be in the 2nd most populous province (and city) and be a truely Canadian league.

18 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Only a matter of time before CanPL expands to the province of Quebec.  Difficult to not be in the 2nd most populous province (and city) and be a truely Canadian league.

I'd like to see Quebec City more than I'd like to see Montreal.  It's easily big enough, there's less sports competition, and the local soccer community isn't influenced by their feelings (positive or negative) about CF Montreal - they'd have a clean slate.

21 hours ago, Kingston said:

I'd like to see Quebec City more than I'd like to see Montreal.  It's easily big enough, there's less sports competition, and the local soccer community isn't influenced by their feelings (positive or negative) about CF Montreal - they'd have a clean slate.

What about my feelings?☹️

Another reason Laval should get a team instead of Mtl. As I said before a team in Mtl will be seen as second rate compared to CF Montreal while a team in Laval will be seen as their own team. And with a population of 400,000 that's larger than some other CPL cities. Also there a lot of young families there that moved there from Mtl because of lower house prices.

I'm curious to hear from people in Edmonton about what the 65 guys can do with these modular stadiums. Could they bulldoz Foote or maybe take a modular stadium somewhere else in the city. Seems like once a location is cleared you've got a major stadium upgrade in Edmonton in just a few months

Edited by SpursFlu