CPL new teams speculation

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Another reason Laval should get a team instead of Mtl. As I said before a team in Mtl will be seen as second rate compared to CF Montreal while a team in Laval will be seen as their own team. And with a population of 400,000 that's larger than some other CPL cities. Also there a lot of young families there that moved there from Mtl because of lower house prices.

Why not leave Laval to both PLSQ clubs instead and give them a chance to grow their base and build something special like a derby and rivalry with Blainville? With PLSQ/D3 falling under CSB soon, we'd just be cannibalizing the market in my opinion.

Edited by Ansem

54 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Why not leave Laval to both PLSQ clubs instead and give them a chance to grow their base and build something special like a derby and rivalry with Blainville? With PLSQ/D3 falling under CSB soon, we'd just be cannibalizing the market in my opinion.

Aren't the other teams in PLSQ on Mtl island be doing the same thing?

I was a double (wife is a big sports fan) s/t holder from the Supra days until a few years ago with the Impact and I am convinced a CPL Mtl area team will not do well. And it being a Canadian league won't help too much (sadly). Hopefully there will be a couple of teams in this province and we'll see who was right. Btw I am a 5 minute drive to C. Robillard and a 10 min. drive to Jarry Park so those location would ideal for me if I thought a team in Mtl would succeed. Hopefully one day we'll discuss this in person over a couple of beers at a National team game.  Anyways Laval or Mtl I'm in for 2 s/t. Can not wait.Cheers.

Edited by MtlMario

19 hours ago, Kingston said:

Just curious:  Why not?

For the reasons I stated above.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Just curious as to why you dropped the tickets too.

I was expecting a CPL team soon after CPL started (remember Alex B.) and was switching to CPL but we all know how that ended up.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, Watchmen said:

Have you thought about getting season tickets again?

No I'm going to wait for a CPL team to show up (soon I hope). In the meantime I bought CPL tshirts of all the teams and will go to Ottawa to see a couple of games this year. Trying to support the league from afar so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

This does not sound good, hope it can get sorted out, one of the partners involved in the early stages of working to bring a professional CPL expansion team to a proposed new soccer stadium to Prairieland Park in Saskatoon  claims to have exclusive rights to the stadium and is suing another partner, who broke away from the original partnership and negotiated exclusive expansion rights to a CPL team, pending construction of a soccer-specific stadium at Prairieland Park.

24 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This does not sound good, hope it can get sorted out, one of the partners involved in the early stages of working to bring a professional CPL expansion team to a proposed new soccer stadium to Prairieland Park in Saskatoon  claims to have exclusive rights to the stadium and is suing another partner, who broke away from the original partnership and negotiated exclusive expansion rights to a CPL team, pending construction of a soccer-specific stadium at Prairieland Park.

Yeah, not a great look but ultimately I don't think it will affect the PL/LSSE stadium push (fingers crossed lol). It might leave them out of pocket if Belan is successful. It is mad to me that PL with decades of dealing with top line contracts would have signed something and broken an agreement. They deal with contracts every day and would be acutely aware of what would breach that or when they are free to move on. I presume there is some sort of legal grey area but I guess we will find out, or maybe they will simply settle out of court. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...aiming for about 5000 capacity and soccer specific apparently. Think this winds up at York Lions but they are not going to say that until they have the agreement signed with the university.

York's main stand in 3,012 seats with an additional 80 accessible spots in row 14. If they want to get it back up to 5,000 they could easily put stands back in on the east side like Yotk had back in their first season and had a crowd of over 5K for the match vs. the Impact. Not sure the numbers with the seats that are two levels up from the concourse. 

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

The league actually needs a real expansion win right now.

A team to confirm they will start i  2024 would be great

A new team for 2024 would be great.

What the league needs even more is for one of the new expansion teams to be huge in the stands from day one.  Like TFC and then Seattle did for MLS to set the expectation that this is what expansion teams now look like.

28 minutes ago, narduch said:

The league actually needs a real expansion win right now.

A team to confirm they will start i  2024 would be great

Didn't Kelowna seem to think they would be ready by 2024? I know that was Clanachan's original target for Windsor, but that isn't going to happen now. Saskatoon are gonna fall short of 2024 as well. 

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the Kelowna by 2024 thing was something a poster on here claimed to have been told rather than anything stated officially by anyone involved. There is the small matter of building a suitable stadium to get sorted out first.

The AFTN podcast has referenced it a few times that theyve heard its a maybe. I'm familiar with the location and it's amazing and seeing what they've done in Langley could easily be duplicated.. I think they would just have to accommodate the semi pro type baseball team that plays there. So as crazy as 2024 seems I think its very doable 

Edited by SpursFlu