CPL new teams speculation

Happy to see this. Something just feels good about 10 teams. Saskatoon and Quebec City continue to make sense. 

I like the idea posted above for a 27 game season, with 3 games against each team and a home / away split each year. Works for me. 

As for what comes after the 10-team threshold, I agree with another team in Atlantic Canada. I remain with the feeling that St. John's might be a bit better than Moncton - both in terms of population, city culture, and general feeling the team would bring to the league - however I recognize the biggest obstacle with St. John's is travel and I don't know how soon the league will be financially viable enough to justify that many flights to and from the island.

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

* 9×3 = 27 matches which is about right except that half the teams would play one additional home match, so not really "balanced".

You could add a 28th game, against your main 'rival'.

Although who would be Pacific's rival? HFX?

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

10 teams would be:

* 9×3 = 27 matches which is about right except that half the teams would play one additional home match, so not really "balanced".

It will be interesting to see what weird and wonderful format they dream up for a ten team league, if it materializes. I hope they don't drop the number of league matches below 28 though.

They could go back to the split season format, where there are *three* seasons of 9 games each (Spring/Summer/Fall), with the winner of each season earning a spot in the playoffs (and maybe a fourth team with the next highest overall points total). Regardless, 10 teams would soon be superseded by 12/14/16 teams, changing the format yet again. So until the number of teams in Div 1 stabilize, the playoffs should ensure that the best team wins the final. 

But once the league gets to 16 teams, I foresee them splitting the league into two conferences, at least until they get to 22 teams, at which point they could try to split CanPL into an 8-team Division 1 and a 14-team Division 2.

Edited by Initial B

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If they have 10, they'll probably split into east and west conferences so they can limit the amount of coast-to-coast travel. It's easier to justify playoffs at that point as well. (4 × 4) + (2 × 5) = 26.

+1

You've made two posts that have been positive contributions in the last week.  Well done sir.

If Saskatoon and Quebec City are added next, and of course no existing teams fold, that would be awesome. We would have 7 provinces represented in the league. The CFL maximum they have ever had is 6 (I am not counting American states), and the old CSL maxed out at 5 in any given season, and had 6 provinces represented if you include all the teams they ever had.

9 hours ago, Initial B said:

They could go back to the split season format, where there are *three* seasons of 9 games each (Spring/Summer/Fall), with the winner of each season earning a spot in the playoffs (and maybe a fourth team with the next highest overall points total). Regardless, 10 teams would soon be superseded by 12/14/16 teams, changing the format yet again. So until the number of teams in Div 1 stabilize, the playoffs should ensure that the best team wins the final. 

But once the league gets to 16 teams, I foresee them splitting the league into two conferences, at least until they get to 22 teams, at which point they could try to split CanPL into an 8-team Division 1 and a 14-team Division 2.

No more split seasons please!

4 hours ago, Kent said:

If Saskatoon and Quebec City are added next, and of course no existing teams fold, that would be awesome. We would have 7 provinces represented in the league. The CFL maximum they have ever had is 6 (I am not counting American states), and the old CSL maxed out at 5 in any given season, and had 6 provinces represented if you include all the teams they ever had.

I was optimistic about this league from the start, but my sense of optimism is growing. 

Not only has the league handled itself very well in terms of commercial partnerships, but the influx of very interesting (albeit on paper at this point) young foreign talent across the board promises to raise the quality on-field as well (which was decent to begin with). Also, let’s not undersell the importance of Atlético Madrid joining the project as a club owner. They are an immensely powerful and capable entity that will bring money and knowledge to the league. They’ll also undoubtedly lend the league an aura of credibility that it may have taken longer to obtain by itself. 

I am now reasonably convinced that this league will succeed. 

8 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I was optimistic about this league from the start, but my sense of optimism is growing. 

Not only has the league handled itself very well in terms of commercial partnerships, but the influx of very interesting (albeit on paper at this point) young foreign talent across the board promises to raise the quality on-field as well (which was decent to begin with). Also, let’s not undersell the importance of Atlético Madrid joining the project as a club owner. They are an immensely powerful and capable entity that will bring money and knowledge to the league. They’ll also undoubtedly lend the league an aura of credibility that it may have taken longer to obtain by itself. 

I am now reasonably convinced that this league will succeed. 

I would love to see CPL copy the BUNDESLIGA  in terms of organization, and having the Supporters have more say

I feel we should get to 10 teams then don’t add other teams for 3 years.   I say add a team in Quebec City and one in sask and then let the league grow.   MLS is only now add more and more teams 20 years later.  For a long time they had a 10 team league then slowly started to add more teams 

I still don't think so. Depending on your objectives. If you see the Caps moving to CPL and want a little distance, you want to be in downtown Surrey. You can draw from New West, Coquitlam, Delta and all the Valley. If you want to compete with the Caps, which I 100% think you should if they stay in MLS, you need to look at a 10-15k seater in East Van or Burnaby. This would eat the Caps lunch imo. Langley is literally a bridge too far for 1.5m or so people and no amount of transit will fix that. I should also point out that the proposed station in Langley is not even walking distance of the proposed ground, lol. Traffic around there is disgusting.

Talk of the Caps leaving MLS for CanPL or a CanPL team taking on the Whitecaps close to downtown Vancouver are fantasy scenarios at this point. The league isn't operating at a level that makes that sort of thing in any way likely.

What isn't so farfetched is getting another overseas club like Atletico Madrid to invest in a Langley based CanPL team with a view to tapping into lower mainland BC from an academy system standpoint, while drawing a fanbase from an area that is distant enough from the Whitecaps to form a separate market in sports and entertainment terms.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Talk of the Caps leaving MLS for CanPL or a CanPL team taking on the Whitecaps close to downtown Vancouver are fantasy scenarios at this point. The league isn't operating at a level that makes that sort of thing in any way likely.

What isn't so farfetched is getting another overseas club like Atletico Madrid to invest in a Langley based CanPL team with a view to tapping into lower mainland BC from an academy system standpoint, while drawing a fanbase from an area that is distant enough from the Whitecaps to form a separate market in sports and entertainment terms.

Ok. Tell me more from your perch in London. There is severe disenchantment with the Whitecaps. The season ticket base has dropped from 14kish to 8kish. The stadium has zero atmosphere. The onfield product is shit. There were literally rapists and white supremacists working at the club that took a fan revolt to get out.

All people want here is a nice outdoor stadium to drink a few beers in summer. There are literally thousands of people who want to do this together and very few of them live in Langley with the hockey moms and dads in their suburban homes. Put a 10k ground like anywhere in Scotland on the site at Swangard and you will fill it. You don't need a sheik or a Russian to figure it out.

Langley would be a much worse version of Westhills and that assumes they do everything as well as Pacific FC, which is unlikely. Wednesday night match? If you could get 2k I'd eat the fucking parrot off your shoulder. All the kids need to be in bed and mom would rather watch Greys Anatomy.

Halifax is the way forward for this league. Anything less to increase the number of clubs is a total waste of time. If you have a 2nd Division have all the Langley's you want. Otherwise fuck off.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Ok. Tell me more from your perch in London. There is severe disenchantment with the Whitecaps. The season ticket base has dropped from 14kish to 8kish. The stadium has zero atmosphere. The onfield product is ****. There were literally rapists and white supremacists working at the club that took a fan revolt to get out.

What? Who?