CPL new teams speculation

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Well, TSS was more USL2.  Same with Highlanders.  In theory, yes.  But PCSL seems to exist in it's own world, and teams from VMSL and FVSL would have made the most sense but are reportedly (and to be clear, I'm only hearing this 2nd hand) the ones that don't get a long.  So yes, nothing you say is wrong.  There's just too much ego/animosity to sort through to get there

Honestly, the fact that soccer in this country is growing at a nice rate but the province with the 3rd biggest population and the best weather conditions for the sport is lagging so far behind other provinces in terms of player development is f***ing embarrassing.  Just disgraceful the lack of BC players on the national team.

Well in many ways there are other aspects of BC that have also lagged in the last few decades--I work in culture, and the overall situation is poor compared to what it was 30-40 years ago. Maybe excluding some sectors. 

Back to the game. I watched Mid-Island Mariners a few years back when they came and played Van United, and Blasco was playing for them; he was the best on the pitch, but it was clear there are players at that level that are good enough for a L1. The kind of player who could push for a spot on a CPL team. And then, yes, others who would max out at L1. We have a lot of guys coming as immigrants, others are students, the HP leagues for youth are doing alright. There are kids who are on the edge of the Whitecaps youth system coming up. 

An example I saw a few months ago when I was looking at Vancouver Metro players, I saw Issey was playing with a team in Van and then checked out the teams, stats. The leading scorer is an Iranian also now listed at UBC (think for next year, and the university teams are not uncompetitive)--his name is Farivar Torabi, who was tearing things up. He had actually had pro contracts in Thailand, and in his home country. So there are players, also Canadians: the leading scorer for UBC in fall 2019 was a kid from Burnaby, Victory Shumbusho, born in Congo, had been in the Whitecaps residency.  

If we stream a bit better in BC, and the damn association does not put stumbling blocks in the way of setting up a L1, we'll find we have players coming back into the Canadian system.

Seeing a lot of stuff on Twitter today about Rangers in Montreal:

Probably off-base rumours based on adding two and two and getting five. That last bit about a lower tier U-21 Rangers B team has zero chance of happening. Guess the one thing that maybe adds a bit of fuel to the fire is that David Clanachan is a Rangers fan.

Just like I hope Tristan Borges and the other CPL grads do well in their new teams to show CPL can be a viable pathway to bigger opportunities, I hope 1812 FC is successful in their goal of becoming a CPL team to show that L1O and D3 leagues in general can be a path to CPL franchises. It would be great to someday have AS Blainville and FC London and who knows who else come to the CPL.

15 hours ago, Shway said:

Verrry weird name....why not 1812 Barrie FC?

I'm hoping it's because they are so serious about going to CPL that they have done their homework and realize that the CPL doesn't seem to like city names in their club's names. I've said it before, I would rather the teams have locations in their name, but it does fit the mold set by the original teams.

Atletico Ottawa was just named a few months ago. Edmonton wasn't told to change their name.  York while not named after a city is named after the regional municipality.

If 1812 FC Barrie is a success and is able to make the jump to CPL eventually I don't think the league would make them change their name.

This whole idea of clubs' names being independent of the home cities is the height of stupidity. It's something that some moronic hipster came up with, thinking it was authentically European. The reality is that only 2 clubs in the top 4 English divisions don't incorporate their geographic home in their name. Their are only a handful of others in the totality of the German, Italian, Spanish, and French top flights. 

One day, when the above-mentioned idiot has been fired, all clubs will inevitably partially re-brand to include their home towns in their names.

Ironically, most of the club names sound good when you include the cities.

Victoria Pacific FC, Winnipeg Valour, Hamilton Forge all sound good. Edmonton, Ottawa, York, and HFX already use their homes in the name. Cavalry is just shit, whether you attempt to include Calgary in the name, or not.

Edited by SthMelbRed

30 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

One day, when the above-mentioned idiot has been fired, all clubs will inevitably partially re-brand to include their home towns in their names.

Victoria Pacific FC, Winnipeg Valour, Hamilton Forge all sound good. Edmonton, Ottawa, York, and HFX already use their homes in the name. Cavalry is just ****, whether you attempt to include Calgary in the name, or not.

Wow - Ok then. First, there would have been a marketing team involved and I seriously doubt they're idiots. Bad decisions happen - no need to start the insults.

I don't really care for adding the city names into the existing names - I think Hamilton Forge is OK, the rest just sound bad. And who cares if it's not the English way, or the North American way? The entire league is about starting new and they're so young anything can be attempted. Finally, in 40 years most people with an interest in the CPL will know where Forge, Cavalry & Valour are from.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

This whole idea of clubs' names being independent of the home cities is the height of stupidity. It's something that some moronic hipster came up with, thinking it was authentically European. The reality is that only 2 clubs in the top 4 English divisions don't incorporate their geographic home in their name. Their are only a handful of others in the totality of the German, Italian, Spanish, and French top flights. 

Victoria Pacific FC, Winnipeg Valour, Hamilton Forge all sound good. Edmonton, Ottawa, York, and HFX already use their homes in the name. Cavalry is just ****, whether you attempt to include Calgary in the name, or not.

I don't like the direction they went with team names either, but that's a bit over the top. I always refer to the cities that the teams are from anyways when I bring new people to games. It's what people relate to. I wish they'd get rid of Pacific from the name entirely. Claiming the largest geographic feature on the planet is a bit ambitious. I know supporters were consulted about this but it just doesn't click for me, and I'm born and raised on the island.

Edited by Aird25

17 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

What are the 2 clubs from British football who don’t take their name from their geographic entity? Crystal Palace is one. What’s the other?

Arsenal is one, Crystal Palace is the other, although Crystal Palace used to be a place in South London.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Regarding your feedback:

Victoria Pacific FC : They aren't in Victoria and just Pacific is relevant to their location being the most estern team

Winnipeg Valour : Agreed

Hamilton Forge : Agreed

Cavalry : Aren't they in Foothills County? Also, Cavalry is easy to link with that area. I also have a feeling that we might see a Calgary central team down the road

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I always refer to the cities that the teams are from anyways when I bring new people to games.

I always mention the cities too, but it's annoying. It would be so much easier to be able to say "Hamilton Forge" or "Winnipeg Valour", or opting to just shorten it to "Hamilton" or "Winnipeg". But instead I feel like I have to say "Forge which is the team from Hamilton". And I've got to keep saying that until I'm pretty sure that the person in question is going to remember where the heck Forge is from. If I just call them Hamilton and the person happens to look up the standings or schedule, they are going to be confused because there isn't any mention of a Hamilton.

My context isn't so much for at a game, it's when I am talking about the league. So maybe I have a short conversation with someone about it, then weeks later, I have another and have to remind them where these teams are from. It's annoying and makes me a bit self conscious about promoting the league to others.

There are other clubs in England that were named after companies (Vauxhall motors) or organisations (met police) and one of the most famous sides of the Victorian era were Corinthians (who later merged with the Casuals). Also the most successful club in the Welsh top flight was called Total Network Solutions before changing to The New Saints. Not much in professional leagues anymore.