CPL new teams speculation

5 hours ago, Cblake said:

When did Victor threaten to pull out of MLS and where was he expecting the three teams to play. Having been a TFC season ticket holder for years and followed them I have never read anywhere of such a situation, so where is this exactly coming from?

We’re second-class citizens’: why MLS in Canada benefits everyone except Canada

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/13/mls-canada-american-citizens

"Montagliani warns that unless a critical issue is addressed – that Canadian players are treated as equal to Americans under MLS rules – Soccer Canada may take sweeping and dramatic action to block Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps from continuing to play in the league."

Back to the subject matter. This guy has a good track record:

Hope that's accurate. I feel much better about the league now with this foreign investor angle happening. Less fear of a rerun of the CSL now because Atletico Ottawa is something very different from the Intrepid or Pioneers and they definitely do appear to have learned a lot from MLS even if they are not being fully transparent about it.

5 hours ago, shamrock said:

Funny how Team America is providing players for the Canadian Premier League though...

Because they aren't playing them in MLS. How come so little of the guys they develop makes 1st team? That's a whole different debate.

Playing more Americans than Canadians most of the time shouldn't be a thing to celebrate but to question. Heck they play more Americans than Canadians in the Canadian Championship of all places.

US front office, management & coach...I get it though.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hope that's accurate. I feel much better about the league now with this foreign investor angle happening. Less fear of a rerun of the CSL now because Atletico Ottawa is something very different from the Intrepid or Pioneers and they definitely do appear to have learned a lot from MLS even if they are not being fully transparent about it.

If players gets their union, they'll have to be transparent on salaries, obviously, they dont have too at this point.

Glad you're coming around 

If I had to guess on markets for 2021 expansion and one in the east and one in the west, I'd go for Fraser valley and K/W with the Langley Events Centre hosting a foreign club looking to tap into lower mainland BC in academy terms, and K/W being the next in the east due to being the first to sort out a viable stadium solution. Olympique Lyon losing interest is not a good sign for Quebec City. Rumours also suggest original investors hold the territorial rights for Fraser valley and K/W which may help keep expansion costs reasonable.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

31 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If I had to guess on markets for 2021 expansion and one in the east and one in the west, I'd go for Fraser valley and K/W with the Langley Events Centre hosting a foreign club looking to tap into lower mainland BC in academy terms, and K/W being the next in the east due to being the first to sort out a viable stadium solution. Olympique Lyon losing interest is not a good sign for Quebec City. Rumours also suggest original investors hold the territorial rights for Fraser valley and K/W which may help keep expansion costs reasonable.

I don't think there's any evidence OL has lost interest, in fact there is no hard evidence of them really being interested. 

The best suggestion of a certain will is them buying Reign in Seattle, but if course that is probably the best women's club in the world buying into a top market for women's talent. 

50 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Because they aren't playing them in MLS. How come so little of the guys they develop makes 1st team? That's a whole different debate.

Playing more Americans than Canadians most of the time shouldn't be a thing to celebrate but to question. Heck they play more Americans than Canadians in the Canadian Championship of all places.

TFC is one of the best producers of Homegrowns with Dallas and Redbulls. Not all of hem succeed, but they sure are producing large numbers of Professional Footballers so that others can use them.

I don't have any problems with them having US managers. If they'd suck yeah ok. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Its time for the CSA to grow a backbone and threaten to make all American players count as Internationals on Canadian MLS clubs. Unless MLS/USSF finally offer us back true reciprocity.

Now is the time to do it, with Montreal and Vancouver carrying so few Americans.

As for the actual topic. My prediction for the next 2 expansion teams are Fraser Valley and Quebec City.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Thanks Ozzie for this post. Very important post should it be true.

My prediction for the two teams would be Saskatoon/Regina and Québec City. I know a few people on here think Fraser Valley, but Clanachan himself has mentioned how there are a lot of people pressuring him for a CPL club in Saskatchewan. I don't think it would be wise to keep them waiting any longer 😁

23 minutes ago, dnina10 said:

Thanks Ozzie for this post. Very important post should it be true.

My prediction for the two teams would be Saskatoon/Regina and Québec City. I know a few people on here think Fraser Valley, but Clanachan himself has mentioned how there are a lot of people pressuring him for a CPL club in Saskatchewan. I don't think it would be wise to keep them waiting any longer 😁

All reports are that Joe Belan and the Saskatoon bid doesn't have the capital necessary.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

55 minutes ago, narduch said:

Its time for the CSA to grow a backbone and threaten to make all American players count as Internationals on Canadian MLS clubs. Unless MLS/USSF finally offer us back true reciprocity.

Now is the time to do it, with Montreal and Vancouver carrying so few Americans.

As for the actual topic. My prediction for the next 2 expansion teams are Fraser Valley and Quebec City.

I actually think now is the least likely time that the CSA would do that, they'd probably rather have the MLS-level Canadians who cannot find jobs because they count as internationals playing in the CPL as opposed to being second string on American MLS sides. Indeed, the fewer Canadians there are in MLS, the better the level of Canadians in the CPL would be *for now*. In a few years, as the CPL expands and improves, things may change, but right now I don't think there's any impetus to fight for that MLS rule change.

But I agree with your expansion prediction. The league clearly knows they need a team in Quebec about as much as they needed a team in Ottawa so will be fighting hard to make it happen. Now whether they announce it as happening the following season or the one after (i.e. if they announce it in July 2020, are they saying they'll start in 2021 or 2022?) is another question.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

If players gets their union, they'll have to be transparent on salaries, obviously, they dont have too at this point.

Speaking of, apparently at the noon event someone asked the Atletico guys in spanish what the salary cap was and they said $750,000 in spanish. When asked the same question, the league hemmed and hawed around without giving a definitive answer. :D

I went to the evening event and got to ask a couple of questions (the possibility of a Div 2 and why Mista as coach) and I got a couple of scarves (CanPL and a black scarf with an AO patch quickly sewn on) and I got free food for dinner. A profitable expedition!

1 minute ago, Initial B said:

I went to the evening event and got to ask a couple of questions (the possibility of a Div 2 and why Mista as coach) and I got a couple of scarves (CanPL and a black scarf with an AO patch quickly sewn on) and I got free food for dinner. A profitable expedition!

I know this isn't what happened, in part because I also went to the evening event and got a scarf, but I love the idea of us showing up at the pub to find them furiously sewing on the AO patches, trying to get it done as fast as they can before the event starts.

48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/13/mls-canada-american-citizens

"Montagliani warns that unless a critical issue is addressed – that Canadian players are treated as equal to Americans under MLS rules – Soccer Canada may take sweeping and dramatic action to block Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps from continuing to play in the league."

US Labour Laws are the issue here with its America first approach. That is how its has been and always will be. There are huge differences in how Canada approaches foreign labour compared to the US, is a must easier to get a visa here and that is why MLS was able to allow the Canadian teams to count Americans as domestics as evident by the CFL quota where they for the most part have 22 of the 46 players on the roster are American. 

Minor league sports are different too as they play under an H-2B. For instances in baseball, each MLB team is allowed 20 visas a year to be used on players in their minor league system. So of the 150 or so in their minor league system each year 20 are internationals. 

We talk about TFC as team American but of the 26 players currently on the team there are 10 Canadians, 10 American, 6 internationals and two foreign born who count as domestics, one through Canada and one on a US green card. Thing is when MLS decided to count Americans as domestics for Canadian teams why did the CSA not challenge it, I assume they could have as they oversea the game in this country. We saw no lawsuits either as I am sure we would if the same was done in the US. 

Truth be told any player that signs an MLS contract qualifies for a P-1 Visa in the US, but its the labour laws that get in the way of them actually signing one. Now if MLS had no international limit and put all players on equal ground that would be a different story. In that case you are officially not limiting Americans from the opportunity, it all comes down to their talent not their nationality. It all comes down to not having anything official on the books that can be perceived as limiting opportunities for Americans and that is what allowing Canadians to be counted as domestic players would most likely do. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

US Labour Laws are the issue here with its America first approach. That is how its has been and always will be. There are huge differences in how Canada approaches foreign labour compared to the US, is a must easier to get a visa here and that is why MLS was able to allow the Canadian teams to count Americans as domestics as evident by the CFL quota where they for the most part have 22 of the 46 players on the roster are American. 

Minor league sports are different too as they play under an H-2B. For instances in baseball, each MLB team is allowed 20 visas a year to be used on players in their minor league system. So of the 150 or so in their minor league system each year 20 are internationals. 

Out of curiosity, how did/does the USL get around that issue, seeing as Canadians have been treated as domestics there, until next year at least.

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

We talk about TFC as team American but of the 26 players currently on the team there are 10 Canadians, 10 American, 6 internationals and two foreign born who count as domestics, one through Canada and one on a US green card. Thing is when MLS decided to count Americans as domestics for Canadian teams why did the CSA not challenge it, I assume they could have as they oversea the game in this country. We saw no lawsuits either as I am sure we would if the same was done in the US. 

Truth be told any player that signs an MLS contract qualifies for a P-1 Visa in the US, but its the labour laws that get in the way of them actually signing one. Now if MLS had no international limit and put all players on equal ground that would be a different story. In that case you are officially not limiting Americans from the opportunity, it all comes down to their talent not their nationality. It all comes down to not having anything official on the books that can be perceived as limiting opportunities for Americans and that is what allowing Canadians to be counted as domestic players would most likely do.

Can you provide specifics about the labour laws because they don't seem to stop NHL teams from fielding a whole roster of Canadian  internationals.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Can you provide specifics about the labour laws because they don't seem to stop NHL teams from fielding a whole roster of Canadian  internationals.

Because there are not quotas, in most north america major league sports a player is a player regardless of nationality. You are truly earning your spot based on talent, at least that is how its meant to be. When you introduce a quota of any sort you have to tread lightly. Even more so MLS teams do not have to sign eight international players if they do not want to, they can even trade the spot if they so choose. 

I’d like to see this league get to 14 teams. Another in BC, Saskatchewan, western Ontario, 2 in Quebec and another in the maritimes. The momentum is there, I saw it yesterday with the Ottawa announcement and then with 2026 coming up. I also read on Twitter it was mentioned that the league would like to have a market in every current CHL city. That would be spectacular, then have 3 leagues with pro/rel that’s the dream for me.

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Because there are not quotas, in most north america major league sports a player is a player regardless of nationality. You are truly earning your spot based on talent, at least that is how its meant to be. When you introduce a quota of any sort you have to tread lightly. Even more so MLS teams do not have to sign eight international players if they do not want to, they can even trade the spot if they so choose. 

So can you provide info about the labour laws that make this so?  Like specific info.

Edited by dyslexic nam

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

There is no Labour law that makes this so.

If there was they wouldn't be able to get away with their convoluted rule that allows Homegrown players to count as domestics.

Plus discrimination laws come into play too.