Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

• 2 weeks later...

Shaff's finishing has really improved and IMO, that's what separates average wingers from good/great ones. His shot has a tremendous amount of pace and accuracy. Really think there's a potential for a move to Europe still in him as he's only 24 and is quite clearly an impact player at the MLS and International level.

This might belong to the Copa thread but in the unlikely event Canada makes it out of group stage and a game has to be decided by PK's, I think there has to be serious consideration for Shaffelburg as one of your first five takers. Even if he doesn't start, he'll get enough run as a substitute, especially with the 30 minutes of extra time.

2 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

thank you mr bob bradley🤡

It hurt when Wheeler threw in the shot like 2 minutes before his goal.  Something like "If I was TFC, this is the one guy I would not have traded away".  Sure enough he buries one shortly after.   

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

JRR's turn on that goal was a thing of beauty!

Steph’s pass was a beauty too.  High IQ on the placement of the pass to the inside away from defender.  The interplay with Davies right before as well.  Overall, a great build up on the goal.  It feels like we rarely score goals with a buildup like that.

17 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Think Shaffelburg has overtaken Liam Millar's spot as an impact sub on the left wing for Copa America. 

Depends what you want.

Millar is playing as a wingback currently and doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities.  And his press is first rate.

Shaffellburg unfortunately let his runner go on Saturday giving them one of their better chances.  

If we are trying to lock down a lead, I would go with the former.

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Depends what you want.

Millar is playing as a wingback currently and doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities.  And his press is first rate.

Shaffellburg unfortunately let his runner go on Saturday giving them one of their better chances.  

If we are trying to lock down a lead, I would go with the former.

i would also go with Millar if we are considering giving one of them a start, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had been in the XI Saturday, if healthy.

53 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Think Shaffelburg has overtaken Liam Millar's spot as an impact sub on the left wing for Copa America. 

Only if Millar is starting on the wing and Davies is playing LB.  I actually feel like both Davies and Millar could fluidly switch up those roles and wouldn't mind seeing both of them on the left at once, constantly switching up roles.

For now, Millar is still ahead of Shaffelburg for me.  The latter is a situational sub and that situation was very good for his skillset on Saturday afternoon:  lots of space available because the underdog opponent needed to press for a goal and he was able to generate a good crack off the post prior to finishing in style very late.  His overall game has improved a lot, no doubt, but I just think Millar has better technical skills and is tighter in possession as a result.  And better teams punish mistakes, so if you have a poor first touch or passing decision resulting in a giveaway and counter attack or you switch off in your defensive responsibilites, you pay for it.

Now, that could all change in a few months, but that's my scout's read on it.

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Only if Millar is starting on the wing and Davies is playing LB.  I actually feel like both Davies and Millar could fluidly switch up those roles and wouldn't mind seeing both of them on the left at once, constantly switching up roles.

The question of how to get the best out of. Davies is a lot about who is in front of him.  I think Millar's ability to cut in-land onto his preferred right foot helps makes more space for Davies and vice versa.  These two seem like a better bet to build synergy. Plus, from what I have seen of Millar, he is a strong work rate guy with defensive diligence and coverage/support.  

6 hours ago, kacbru said:

My dream is for the two of them to play on the same side... could u imagine.. one inverted one natural..both direct attacking players..Liam has the defensive responsibility and Davies the pace to recover if needed...like you said fluid and changing postions..that to me is something we need to see... as long as it's balanced and the back 3 is solid..let the other team worry about us for once...

Really too bad he picked up that knock I feel like that game could have really used Liam's pace...(which shaff did when he came in) but think we were very lucky on their one chance late in the game when it was 1-0..against better teams that's the equaliser...

7 hours ago, spitfire said:

My dream is for the two of them to play on the same side... could u imagine.. one inverted one natural..both direct attacking players..Liam has the defensive responsibility and Davies the pace to recover if needed...like you said fluid and changing postions..that to me is something we need to see... as long as it's balanced and the back 3 is solid..let the other team worry about us for once...

Really too bad he picked up that knock I feel like that game could have really used Liam's pace...(which shaff did when he came in) but think we were very lucky on their one chance late in the game when it was 1-0..against better teams that's the equaliser...

Yes, and on that one chance they had... ...well, kudos to you for not saying it.  (But you didn't need to 😉)

9 hours ago, spitfire said:

This is what I want to see as well, be it Millar or Tajon as that inverted winger, with Davies making overlapping runs. Like Millar, I think Tajon is best cutting in from the left, so I think one of these guys (Tajon or Liam) has to play on the right. Maybe we go Tajon on the right, because he can drop into that fullback spot in certain phases of the game. And they can both swap wings like Davies and Tajon often do. Either way I think it's the way to go with Millar and Tajon starting.

And I am not saying this just to patronize you, I genuinely think Millar is the better choice for being a starter over Shaff because I think he's overall a more rounded and better player at the moment, even with Jacob improving a lot of aspects of his game, which I am thrilled about.

Furthermore, Shaff has proved to be a real impact sub, so he's a proven weapon off the bench.

For me Liam has shown more ability to play in combination with the other high level players in our team. This has always stood out to me. I have no doubt he can play at the speed of our other starters in high level games, because I have seen it already,  but I still have some doubts with Shaff in that regard. Shaff for me is better suited for when the game gets stretched in the later stages, where sharp interplay is less important, if that makes sense. Use him for his speed and directness and propensity for late goals. 

Both should make the Copa squad in my eyes.