Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

15 hours ago, Tyson M said:

Shaff is clearly our supersub heading into our next matches. I always thought that would be Liam Millar, but...

I envision Liam being very effective in a Canadian 442 as an older school LM, a bit like Jimmy Brennan (or Marcel, even) used to be for us. I like Shaff much better as the left side substitute attacker in a 433 atm, though.

Edit: And I teach Math

Edited by nolando

57 minutes ago, nolando said:

I envision Liam being very effective in a Canadian 442 as an older school LM, a bit like Jimmy Brennan (or Marcel, even) used to be for us. I like Shaff much better as the left side substitute attacker in a 443 atm, though.

You don't think anybody will notice? 😉 

41 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You don't think anybody will notice? 😉 

Look, I call them how I see them. The minute we all start editing ourselves on a fan forum in fear of parent-of-player pushback is the minute the forum serves no real purpose at all.

And, for the record, I really like Millar's game and his personality; I have even met him face-to-face as well. A really nice guy with a bright future in football and beyond.

I just want to freely snd fairly talk football, and be fully opinionated, like I have been on these boards for more than twenty years.

8 minutes ago, nolando said:

Look, I call them how I see them. The minute we all start editing ourselves on a fan forum in fear of parent-of-player pushback is the minute the forum serves no real purpose at all.

And, for the record, I really like Millar's game and his personality; I have even met him face-to-face as well. A really nice guy with a bright future in football and beyond.

I just want to freely snd fairly talk football, and be fully opinionated, like I have been on these boards for more than twenty years.

I think my little joke may have gone over your head.

Edited by SthMelbRed

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Please please be honest and don’t hold back because of any parent of a player interactions I welcome them but all I ask is for genuine real fact based opinions not bs bias and inaccuracy… certain players seemed to get bashed and others built up. That I’m afraid is a fact (whether the stats back it up or not) 

I have been on this forum for over 10 years btw and the previous one before that…I’ve been involved in soccer in Canada for over 20 years. Long before Liam played. I was as a player( national team) coach (professionally) club president in Mississauga and district board member. I have held a UEFA A licence for over 15 years … I’m not afraid of opinions … just hate bias and bullshit. …

Shaf is having a great year and has done amazing when called upon. Really looks a threat.
Like I said previously would have been interesting to see what Liams form and pace would have done as well late into the at T&T game but alas we will never know..

and @nolando that’s not direct at u just saying…

Edited by spitfire

I feel like Millar has a higher football IQ for playing with other players in our squad. Technically he’s better as well. 

Also worth noting that they play different roles as left wingers. Millar is right footed so naturally likes to cut in while Shaffelburg is more of a pure winger. For me, the debate between the two at any given time would really be down to the other ten players and our system. 

28 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I feel like Millar has a higher football IQ for playing with other players in our squad. Technically he’s better as well. 

Also worth noting that they play different roles as left wingers. Millar is right footed so naturally likes to cut in while Shaffelburg is more of a pure winger. For me, the debate between the two at any given time would really be down to the other ten players and our system. 

I'm with you.  They're similar in that they're both quick, tricky and playing wide offensive roles, but overall we're looking at very different skillsets.  I love Shaff and all, very exciting and energetic player, but I still feel he has quite a way to go to catch up to Millar's overall game and pedigree.  I guess growing up training at Fulham and Liverpool will do that.

Have both been on the pitch at the same time for us? I have this idea of figuring out some formation that includes Davies, Buchanan, David, Shaf, and Millar and just completely overloading the opponent with pace and skill. Not sure what the positions would be- maybe Millar as a second striker, but I think having all of our paciest guys out all at once after like, minute ‘60 against a team like the states could completely break them down.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

How did he play against Inter-Messi in Messi League Soccer yesterday?

He was fine, had a few good moments but ran into traffic a couple times as well. You can tell other teams are trying to double up on him now that he's gaining notoriety across the league. He's going to need to learn to evolve and up his game further, which it looks like he's doing.