Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

One of those guys where the eye test and the stat sheet don’t compute. If you knew nothing about him before last night, you’d think he’s one of the best players in MLS, then you see his numbers, and they’re only okay. But between this, his goal against the US, he’s really a guy who shows up for big games. If he plays like this consistently, Nashville could go all the way this year. They have a great team. 

Yeah. I've always been a huge fan, despite what the stats might suggest. You can just see it when a player has that ability to provide a spark.

Again, I saw him live pre-COVID. He was playing down the right for TFC at Saputo (on my side, first row). Showed his shooting abilities from long-range with a chance just over the bar.

2 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Yeah. I've always been a huge fan, despite what the stats might suggest. You can just see it when a player has that ability to provide a spark.

Again, I saw him live pre-COVID. He was playing down the right for TFC at Saputo (on my side, first row). Showed his shooting abilities from long-range with a chance just over the bar.

You hear a lot of people in basketball talk about the difference between a player and a baller- someone who is conventionally good vs. someone who can go out there and get you a bucket any time. I feel like Shaf is a baller. Don't know what his peak is, but I bet if you saw the guy in training, he could stick out at any time as the best player on the whole field. Does nothing for half a game then suddenly crosses over two players and bombs one top corner with like 6 guys between him and the net. This is the kind of skill we need on the NT for games where nothing is working offensively and we just need to toss a hail mary. guys like him, Liam Millar, Corbeanu, they're good at making something out of nothing.

He is a direct player with a burst of good pace.  When he gets a 1 v 1, he will take on that opponent more often than not in the attacking zone.  He'll lose duels, for sure, (and maybe that affects the opta line) but he tries to make something happen.  The worst guy to have in a wingback/winger spot is a guy who constantly "recycles" possession to the back line defender he received the pass from originally, even when he has a few yards of space in the attacking third to make a move to beat an opponent.  They don't cause bother so instead the defending team concentrates on the real attacking threat or threats who can hurt them.

Good on him for making the most of his strengths.  I never saw him as a particularly strong first touch technical player but he is showing growth in the tactical side of the game.

I think he deserves to be in Frisco.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The worst guy to have in a wingback/winger spot is a guy who constantly "recycles" possession to the back line defender he received the pass from originally, even when he has a few yards of space in the attacking third to make a move to beat an opponent.  They don't cause bother so instead the defending team concentrates on the real attacking threat or threats who can hurt them.

It was likely affected by his age, but that was often the criticism of JMR - rather than risk losing possession in an attack he would often choose a safe back pass.  It may have maintained possession but it frequently didn't advance the ball and led to questions about his ability to play wide.  Now, that was often in a sort of wingback or defensive back role, but I think it still gets at what seemed to be missing from his game as a wide player.  A more swashbuckling style like Shaff's may result in more turnovers, but it is the nature of the position that there is more value in taking on your guy and succeeding in a smaller number of attacks than often forgoing those attacks for the sake of safety. 

(And to reiterate, age may have impacted JMRs confidence in previous years)

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

A more swashbuckling style like Shaff's may result in more turnovers, but it is the nature of the position that there is more value in taking on your guy and succeeding in a smaller number of attacks than often forgoing those attacks for the sake of safety. 

There are places, times, and ways you can take that chance and there are those situations where you can't.  Sometimes it is just that the match up is right and you need to have the confidence (and encouragement) to bring it.  It makes the attack more faceted and it makes more space for your best attacking playmakers.

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

This is the kind of skill we need on the NT for games where nothing is working offensively and we just need to toss a hail mary. guys like him, Liam Millar, Corbeanu, they're good at making something out of nothing.

Literally the 3 heirs to Hoilett.  The kids are alright.

Edited by costarg

I have thinking about a song, think it is by Johnny Cash, the chorus ends in "-----burg", can't for the life of me remember it. It would make a good chant, converted. I started thinking it was about a prison, but not sure. A country song. Anyone know what I am talking about?

He's definitely worked on his technique. I think he's taking the Pavel Nedved approach to training, just pure dedication and hard work to reach the top of the sport.

Keep at it bro if you're reading this. Maybe in five years there will be a Ballon D'or with your name on it. 

Edited by Macksam

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have thinking about a song, think it is by Johnny Cash, the chorus ends in "-----burg", can't for the life of me remember it. It would make a good chant, converted. I started thinking it was about a prison, but not sure. A country song. Anyone know what I am talking about?

...It was Gatlinburg in mid July, I'd just hit town and my throat was dry, thought I'd sit down and have myself a brew...

The second verse of Boy Named Sue.

55 minutes ago, Cicero said:

...It was Gatlinburg in mid July, I'd just hit town and my throat was dry, thought I'd sit down and have myself a brew...

The second verse of Boy Named Sue.

Nah, I'm thinking he means the 4th verse of "I've Been Everywhere":  I've been to Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelburg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg...

😉

Thanks @GasPed and @Cicero both of those are really good. I also saw he has a song of the Gettysburg address. 

But for the life of me, I am thinking of another song. It probably does not even end in ---Burg. I am really bad with song lyrics, I used to memorize poetry really well, even long poems, but I screw up most songs. 

Still, a really funny Shaffelburg chant would be to do that verse of "I've Been Everywhere", with the right name then all the wrong names we are giving him. 

On 3/9/2024 at 5:58 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder if you are thinking of “Tillsonburg” by Stompin Tom. About the tobacco fields in a small town near London Ontario. When I read your post I immediately thought of that song and thought it was a Cash song. Double checked for spelling and found it’s actually Stompin Tom, which makes more sense in retrospect.

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wonder if you are thinking of “Tillsonburg” by Stompin Tom. About the tobacco fields in a small town near London Ontario. When I read your post I immediately thought of that song and thought it was a Cash song. Double checked for spelling and found it’s actually Stompin Tom, which makes more sense in retrospect.

Exactly, excellent! Good find. I did not even realize I was thinking of a Canadian classic!

So the chant would be:

Shaffelburg  (echo) Shaffelburg

Shaffelburg  (echo) Shaffelburg

My back still aches when I hear that word.

Or the longer version, tweaked, after verse 4:

We landed in a field that was long and wide,
With one ol′ coach and ten more guys.
I asked them where to find the cigarette trees,
When he said "game over", I was ready to leave!
Shaffelburg. (Shaffelburg)
Shaffelburg. (Shaffelburg)
My back still aches when I hear that word!
Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, RS said:

Shaffelburg and MacNaughton are both on the bench for Nashville vs. LA Galaxy.

Nashville going with an almost completely rotated lineup today (Zimmermann, Willis, Mukhtar, etc. also on the bench), presumably with Concacaf Champions Cup in mind.

A bit asinine that they'd leave Shaff on the bench, frankly, after scoring a brace the other day. I mean, give yourself a chance and use your proven pieces.