Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Further Shaffelburg sightings at the end of the match as he ran down the field in sandals to celebrate his team’s second goal and was walking around fine post match - the slight limp appeared to have vanished 

Fake injury, he wanted to conserve his energy for the finals. A real gamer. 

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Would make a great TIFO:45662786211b8e1ac6d9f4bfcbb318f8.jpg.04278579dc85c6786704206308d5c873.jpg

Surely something as Richard Roundtree's adopted son would be even more on the nose.  Our boy with a perm-fro?

p4773_v_v8_ac.jpg

"He's a complicated man, no one understands him but us V fans"

Someone work on the rhythm at the end I'll see myself out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, Cicero said:

Zone marking strikes again! I guess some analytics person has determined it stops more chances than it allows, but when the cross is good, defenders look like complete knobs.

I wouldn't say this is a example of "zonal marking", at least not in any sort of coached way. That is usually used on set pieces. When it's an open play cross like this, the binary "zonal or man marking" doesn't exist. Certainly, no coach or analytics person would advocate for this type of defending.

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I wouldn't say this is a example of "zonal marking", at least not in any sort of coached way. That is usually used on set pieces. When it's an open play cross like this, the binary "zonal or man marking" doesn't exist. Certainly, no coach or analytics person would advocate for this type of defending.

It was just bad marking, period.  No pressure on the crosser, no pressure on the receiver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, narduch said:

Nashville are out of the playoffs. 

I wonder if he will push for a move in order to get more starting minutes

This was his first full year there no? 
He was given multiple opportunities this year. Out of the 28 games he played, 15 were starts. 

I think he should stick it out considering they were the "only" ones who wanted him. At this point, he is t a starter and is more of a super sub/impact player. 

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

This was his first full year there no? 
He was given multiple opportunities this year. Out of the 28 games he played, 15 were starts. 

I think he should stick it out considering they were the "only" ones who wanted him. At this point, he is t a starter and is more of a super sub/impact player. 

Just feels like he started the season as a starter and ended it as a sub

48 minutes ago, narduch said:

Just feels like he started the season as a starter and ended it as a sub

Him and Picault battled each other all year for minutes. You're right though, Shaff had the upper hand early on and then Picault seemed to have the upper hand. I wouldn't qualify it as starter and sub though, because even when Shaff had a run as the "starter" Picault was still getting starts and vice versa. Neither was a locked down starter at any point, it seemed. 

Got curious to see how many minutes he played and what the trends were. He played 1,910 minutes in all comps, while Picault played 2,263. 

Picault (starts in yellow - just considering MLS regular season)

image.thumb.png.bccfd1a7c85627163c070e711e46b9b9.png

And Schaff:

image.thumb.png.041c9a63bd731290fc90ed146193b907.png

Interestingly each guy only played the full 90 minutes once. Also interesting that both seemed to start together (I recall this now) in the first 6 or so games of the season (for the most part), then in the middle of the season Picault started more and towards the end it evened out somewhat, with a slight edge to Picault. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

There’s some rumour within CF Montreal media that Montreal is currently tracking “two Canadians that play for yellow teams”. If that’s true, I think that narrows it down to two of four out of McMaughton, JRR, Shaff, and Farsi. Would love Shaff and Farsi at Montreal. 

If Julian Gressel is staying with Columbus I would like to see Farsi move on. He's good enough to be a regular starter from what I've seen.

34 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

If Julian Gressel is staying with Columbus I would like to see Farsi move on. He's good enough to be a regular starter from what I've seen.

Regardless of how he feels about committing to Canada, he's very proud to be from Montreal- he filmed a nice video hanging out in the plateau where he apparently grew up when Columbus came to town a few months back. I think it would be awesome to have another local in the starting lineup, and he's the exact type of low risk, high reward player that Montreal is really after. Next year, we might be able to see a lineup with Sirois, Farsi, ZBG, Piette, Rea, Choiniere, Vilsaint, Saliba. Hell, bring in Bombito as well, and you've got 9 Quebeckers on the pitch at once. Could cry tears of joy.

• 1 month later...