Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

22 minutes ago, Corazon said:

As good as ZBG has been the past 2 games (103) minutes.  He hadn't featured in 7 of the previous 12 games for Montreal dating back to June.

Minutes played in July - 20 minutes out of 5 games

Minutes played in August - 72 minutes out of 5 games

Minutes played in September - 128 minutes our of 4 games

I think we are all discussing ZBG because he's looked fantastic in the last two games he's played but those numbers don't scream for inclusion.  I full expect him to be a regular inclusion for Canada in the coming years. 

The final roster spot for Brym was also more likely because this camp is based in Europe whereas if this camp was in North America, you might see a ZBG/Edwards for Brym replacement.

It's obvious you have not seen him play in a long time.  It's not just about his stats, and it's definitely not just about the last two games.  But if you do want to see his stats its 4g & 2a in under 500 minutes this year for a WB.

Yes he hasn't featured much, but that cause he's behind Johnston, who is another uncontested starter for CANMNT.  He's just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He'd be a starter on almost every other MLS team.

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's obvious you have not seen him play in a long time.  It's not just about his stats, and it's definitely not just about the last two games.  But if you do want to see his stats its 4g & 2a in under 500 minutes this year for a WB.

Yes he hasn't featured much, but that cause he's behind Johnston, who is another uncontested starter for CANMNT.  He's just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He'd be a starter on almost every other MLS team.

I know you meant that as in the wrong team but I would go one step further. He is offensively excellent but his defense leaves a lot to desire. I was wondering if he shouldn't move to the winger position. It will suit his skills. I think anyway.

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

As good as ZBG has been the past 2 games (103) minutes.  He hadn't featured in 7 of the previous 12 games for Montreal dating back to June.

Minutes played in July - 20 minutes out of 5 games

Minutes played in August - 72 minutes out of 5 games

Minutes played in September - 128 minutes our of 4 games

I think we are all discussing ZBG because he's looked fantastic in the last two games he's played but those numbers don't scream for inclusion.  I full expect him to be a regular inclusion for Canada in the coming years. 

The final roster spot for Brym was also more likely because this camp is based in Europe whereas if this camp was in North America, you might see a ZBG/Edwards for Brym replacement.

It's kind of like Ugbo for Canada, though. If all you give him is garbage minutes, of course he won't be able to do much or truly show what he's capable of. ZBG is a great player and always has been.

Honestly, if Alistair or ZBG don't move to Europe, I think CF Montreal should send Corbo back to Bologna and play Johnston / ZBG as RB / RM. 

4 hours ago, costarg said:

40 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's kind of like Ugbo for Canada, though. If all you give him is garbage minutes, of course he won't be able to do much or truly show what he's capable of. ZBG is a great player and always has been.

Honestly, if Alistair or ZBG don't move to Europe, I think CF Montreal should send Corbo back to Bologna and play Johnston / ZBG as RB / RM. 

I watch almost all of Montreal, Toronto & Vancouver games.  I actually went to watch ZBG & Montreal live when they were in Toronto the other week but unfortunately ZBG did not feature in that game.  And I've been a huge fan of his since before he was captaining Lyon B team.  As I've said in this forum, I am very high on him and believe he's got a bright future with the CMNT program.  It's unfortunate that Johnston has taken a lot of his minutes this season because I think he would absolutely be in contention for Qatar.  

I want to make this as clear as possible.  I was not saying ZBG isn't playing great or hasn't played great all season because he has stepped up every time he's played.  I was just suggesting that an MLS player that's played very good in the 225 minutes (17.8%) since July 1st (out of Montreal's possible 1,260 minutes), likely isn't going to get you called into the CMNT.  If that was the case, then Ricketts would be our starting striker.  Again, I'm not saying he hasn't been good in the minutes he's played this year as I've watched most of them.  I'm saying that unless your Alphonso Davies at Bayern, playing 17.4% of your teams minutes in a season likely won't get you called into Qatar.  If you believe ZBG should be called to CMNT because of the offensive numbers he's thrown up in the very little he's played, then more power to you.  I was just suggesting that's likely why Herdman has not included him. I didn't mean to offend any ZBG fans as he's been absolute quality when he's played for Montreal.

I hope that helps clear up everything.  This is all coming from a big ZBG fan.

Edited by Corazon

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

If the rumours prove to be correct and Johnston is moving on, ZBG will fit in perfectly. There will not be any drop off for CFM next year....at the right wing back position anyway.

And for the NT he may displace Laryea come the 2026 cycle.

I think there will be a drop off at other places though they’re most likely losing Johnston, Miller, Kone and Mihloavic. ZBG the obvious replacement for Johnston, Rea likely for Mihloavic, Yao probably comes up and plays CB either as backup or starter, Choinere and Zouhir can play the midfield with Piette and Wanyama. Don’t think they’ll be bad but I think they’ll regress.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In many ways Johnston's transfer to Celtic is great news from Breault-Guillard. Every one agree he is a fine defenceman and most of its struggle to get good minutes came not because of any failures he might have but because Johnston is simply greater. 

With him gone he is gonna get the keys to the building in MTL, so to speak.

41 minutes ago, phil03 said:

In many ways Johnston's transfer to Celtic is great news from Breault-Guillard. Every one agree he is a fine defenceman and most of its struggle to get good minutes came not because of any failures he might have but because Johnston is simply greater. 

With him gone he is gonna get the keys to the building in MTL, so to speak.

Also I think ZBG's stats per minute were insane this year. Big year coming up.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

ZBG is going to surprise people with how good he is.

Not me - I have been a fan of this guy for a while.  I think he slots in to replace Johnston pretty seamlessly.  It is not a knock on Johnston that I don’t think they will miss him much this year - I think ZBG will absolutely rise to the challenge.  Great for AJ and great for XBG.