Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

I didn’t watch this match so beyond the superbly taken goal, I don’t know how he played. I would say I watched a lot of the first 5 or 6 matches of the season and he was poor in my view both going forward and defending.  Herrera was definitely an upgrade and overall, they really missed Johnston in that spot. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting. I'd personally like to see him back in Europe. I always rated him. He's had a good run in MLS and played over 100 matches for Montreal, but it felt like it should have been more and too often I felt they used him as an offensive wingback supersub. I'd actually like to see him played more as a conventional right back, not someone expected to always bomb forward. Montreal seemed keen to bring out the offensive side of his game, which I can hardly complain about, but he then seemed to get branded as a player who makes mistakes and is not defensively sound. That's not who he was when he joined MLS IMO. I think he's a much more rounded player than people give him credit for. So yeah, I want to see what he can do in Europe, maybe Ligue 2 or Ligue 1 or possibly Belgium. 

Pretty surprised at that TBH.  He has generally been a solid option when he gets playing time and has had a few game-breaking moments.  I haven't done enough research to know what the value proposition when he salary was factored in but I certainly never saw him as a liability.  I really hope he lands at a solid club where he can continue getting good minutes in a competitive environment. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pretty surprised at that TBH.  He has generally been a solid option when he gets playing time and has had a few game-breaking moments.  I haven't done enough research to know what the value proposition when he salary was factored in but I certainly never saw him as a liability.  I really hope he lands at a solid club where he can continue getting good minutes in a competitive environment. 

Without looking it up I think he was at around 230k or so, which is a pretty good deal for teams looking for an international fullback in his early/mid 20s - who's also played over 100 matches in the league. 

I don't think he qualifies as a home grown player, so would he take up an international spot stateside? 

I would guess this has to do with salary and not wanting to pay a super sub all this money. ZBG started 14 games this year and per my count, Montreal only won 3 of them, with their only win with him in the starting lineup since the July international window being against TFC. Montreal plays with a back 3- they have Waterman who is excellent, Corbo who is very good, Campbell who is solid and the new kid Alvarez who they’re trying to flip to Europe. Their midfield always needs to feature Choiniere, Piette and Saliba, and on the outside, they prefer going with guys like Lassiter and Lapalainen which makes ZBG the odd man out. The way this team is structured, it makes no sense to keep a guy unless he’s cheap or has transfer value, and ZBG is not the former and the older he gets, the less he has of the latter. 

I think going back to France for a pay cut and see what happens is his best move. I don’t know which MLS team would pay his wages and give him a starting spot since he wasn’t a full time starter on one of the worst teams in the league this past season. The Abzi pathway could be good for him. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I would guess this has to do with salary and not wanting to pay a super sub all this money. ZBG started 14 games this year and per my count, Montreal only won 3 of them, with their only win with him in the starting lineup since the July international window being against TFC. Montreal plays with a back 3- they have Waterman who is excellent, Corbo who is very good, Campbell who is solid and the new kid Alvarez who they’re trying to flip to Europe. Their midfield always needs to feature Choiniere, Piette and Saliba, and on the outside, they prefer going with guys like Lassiter and Lapalainen which makes ZBG the odd man out. The way this team is structured, it makes no sense to keep a guy unless he’s cheap or has transfer value, and ZBG is not the former and the older he gets, the less he has of the latter. 

I think going back to France for a pay cut and see what happens is his best move. I don’t know which MLS team would pay his wages and give him a starting spot since he wasn’t a full time starter on one of the worst teams in the league this past season. The Abzi pathway could be good for him. 

His wages aren't that high though, are they? IF I am accurate and he is in the 200-250K range, that's not cheap for a super sub, but it's not exorbitant for a player like him, who Montreal misused at times in my opinion. I think he's a starter in this league, so if you're another club looking for a starter or potential starter who knows the league, is 250k plus an international out of the question? 

I prefer France though, or Belgium. 

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

he is in the 200-250K range, that's not cheap for a super sub, but it's not exorbitant for a player like him,

I think @InglewoodJack is looking at it the right way.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

His salary was $319K USD in 2023.

https://en.cfmontreal.com/news/cf-montreal-exerices-options-on-four-players-for-the-2024-season

But what was the clause for his option year 2024?

This tweet from former #CanMNT player Tesho Akindele...

...makes me think his 2024 option would have been at least 50k more, so at least ~370k USD.

If I was CF Montréal, I'd sign ZBG again at ~190k USD if I could, but not for anything close to 400k.

For perspective Choinière was on 277k USD in 2023.

So I can't fault CF Montreal too much on this.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

His wages aren't that high though, are they? IF I am accurate and he is in the 200-250K range, that's not cheap for a super sub, but it's not exorbitant for a player like him, who Montreal misused at times in my opinion. I think he's a starter in this league, so if you're another club looking for a starter or potential starter who knows the league, is 250k plus an international out of the question? 

I prefer France though, or Belgium. 

Apparently it’s $275k, which no, isn’t massive, but that’s the 11th highest salary on the team, comparable to players like Robert Taylor and Billy Sharp, but I also think he’s likely going to look for a raise. To your point, no it’s not egregious for a bench player, but Montreal is an extremely cheap team. He’s earning more than Choiniere, more than Lassiter, more than Corbo, a full $100k more than Waterman. Montreal want their bench players to be local guys like Kone, Vilsaint, Saliba, guys that can come in, get paid like $75k/yr and play like the rent is due (which it likely is). 

edit: per @Olympique_de_Marseille above I may not be looking at the right salary numbers, but I do think the bottom line is that Montreal doesn’t want to pay guys six figures unless they’re going to earn a couple million off the transfer. They want to cycle in unheralded local guys and hope that they can get transferred before the salary increase kicks in.

Edited by InglewoodJack

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think @InglewoodJack is looking at it the right way.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

His salary was $319K USD in 2023.

https://en.cfmontreal.com/news/cf-montreal-exerices-options-on-four-players-for-the-2024-season

But what was the clause for his option year 2024?

This tweet from former #CanMNT player Tesho Akindele...

...makes me think his 2024 option would have been at least 50k more, so at least ~370k USD.

If I was CF Montréal, I'd sign ZBG again at ~190k USD if I could, but not for anything close to 400k.

For perspective Choinière was on 277k USD in 2023.

So I can't fault CF Montreal too much on this.

Nailed it.  This is Renard's way.  Did the math and value calculations.   

I was just listening to a hockey player turned agent who has a podcast relating to athletes getting in to the business world. Can't remember name. He was talking about what Tesho touched on. He had an interesting point saying that really players feel very little stress relating to whether their option was going to get picked up, where they may play next season etc but the moment they get married, have kids and there are other people they need to consider it becomes overwhelming stressful 

Maybe that says even more about life then players dealing with contracts but very true. Probably why even if it means a big paycut players choose a much more comfortable, predictable environment later in their career 

Edited by SpursFlu

26 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Think he can be signed in MLS and prove MTL wrong, think they didn’t rate him enough. He can play and will thrive 

I  thought that he would have been a good fit in Vancouver in previous years but that won't happen if Laryea gets officially signed up for next year.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Think he can be signed in MLS and prove MTL wrong, think they didn’t rate him enough. He can play and will thrive somewherez

He has no green card and as @BearcatSA said Vancouver will stick with Richie Laryea. Herdman never seemed to rate him as highly as we the fans did so I can't see him going to TFC. Who would want to spend an international slot on him?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

30 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He has no green card and as @BearcatSA said Vancouver will stick with Richie Laryea. Herdman never seemed to rate him as highly as we the fans did so I can't see him going to TFC. Who would want to spend an international slot on him?

So bizarre, a national team player with no green card.  

• 1 month later...