Liam Millar

Northvansteve

I won’t celebrate too much until the ink is dry on the loan deal.  There have been some huge problems with ownership in the past half dozen years or more but now there is a certain stability in SE7 (knock on wood).  Hope this happens - been a Charlton supporter since the Lennie Lawrence escapology days in the 80s and was a season ticket holder in the early 90s.

As for standard of League One with the SPFL, I hate making that comparison; the leagues are so different.  In terms of size, Charlton would be larger than Hearts (for example) only because one is in a much larger metropolitan area.

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A couple of his soon-to-be teammates have spent time in the SPL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Washington

27 year old Northern Ireland international forward. Just moved to Charlton this year and has 6 goals in 18 games. Last season he was at Hearts, where he scored 3 goals in 15 SPL games. Before that he failed to score in 15 games with Sheffield United in the Championship, but that was the year they won promotion to the Premier League and he was probably coming off the bench I am guessing. Had a productive spell in the Championship before that with QPR ( @gator can probably give insight here) and looks like he played with Junior there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Matthews

28 year old Welsh international right back. He played with Celtic over 100 times, but has been with Charlton since 2019, with a spells at Sunderland (League 1) and Bristol City (Championship) in between. 

Hard to compare leagues sometimes without direct head-to-head matches, but looking at where players have played helps give us an indirect measuring stick. Rangers and Celtic aside (who would be yo-yo Premier League/Championship clubs), it seems that upper-end SPL sides are roughly equivalent to the lower-end Championship sides, and the lower-end SPL sides may be somewhere in League 2 territory.

Re: Conor Washington, he was mostly disappointing to say the least at QPR, 13 goals in 92 matches being played as a forward is not great, he worked real hard but never lived up to what he did at The Posh where he was bought from! I warned Hearts supporters (that's my team in Scotland) about him and although he struggled with injuries, he was poor mostly! In saying that he is not a selfish player and I think Liam will work well with him!

Very happy for him. He needs to play first team football in a tight competitive environment with a good coach that will make him a better player. He had a good chat with Bowyer before signing and the goal is to get promoted. End of. A good driven team really good for his development... 

another step on his pathway...

197A76F2-AE56-4D03-943F-4C10BDBB32DB.jpeg

Edited by spitfire

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Very happy for him. He needs to play first team football in a tight competitive environment with a good coach that will make him a better player. He had a good chat with Bowyer before signing and the goal is to get promoted. End of. A good driven team really good for his development... 

another step on his pathway...

197A76F2-AE56-4D03-943F-4C10BDBB32DB.jpeg

It is a good pick up for Charlton

Nice to see the move is now official! 

Looks like he's the second player to be brought in, after James' teammate at Midtjylland, Ronnie Schwartz. He's also a forward, but looks to be more of a veteran presence at 31 years old. He's not a full Danish international (only has youth caps), but his goal record seems to be pretty good. He was the top scorer in the Danish league last season and has also plays in Belgium and France. Maybe he's more of a "in the box" type scorer, but just speculating based on the description in this article, where they seem to focus on his finishing ability. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55543415

So perhaps some competition for Liam, but given their focus on his ability to go past players, it may be that Millar will be playing more wide and playing the role of provider. Either way, looks like he has some quality to compete with and/or combine with, and that'll be good for his development and goal contributions, I am hoping. 

Edited by Obinna

9 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Cool, he can jump right in and help Charlton push for promotion. Good competitive football with lots of minutes. Glad I finally signed up for DAZN - can watch them play Accrington Stanley on Friday.

yeah, this is the real big part for me - that they play at 2:45pm ET on DAZN on Friday so he's a lot easier than watch than when he was with the U23s.

Edited by bfque8

Very nice opportunity for him. But let's be clear: he needs to light it up. In Scotland I gave him a break on his lack of production bc it was his first time playing pro against men full time. This time, at the League 1 level, there can be no excuses. Liam needs to produce, get noticed, and finally take his place alongside Davies and David on the CanMNT. 

We're all rooting for you Liam. You have the tools and experience, now just put it all together and get the job done. 

17 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Ummm...you don’t think those expectations are a bit absurd? If that’s your expectation you’re probably going to be disappointed.

Absurd? You think Hoilett, Larin are that far above Millar? He's on the books at Liverpool for a reason.

His trajectory has stagnated recently, but he can get back on track with a handful of goals for Charleton. However, if he does not impress, Millar will be quickly surpassed by Corbeanu, Buchanan, Akinola etc, and may not even make the Gold Cup squad. I guess we'll see. 

I get that the assessment may be a little blunt but it is hard to argue with the basic idea.  it is D3 in England and he is at an age where he needs to show that he can succeed at that level.   That doesn’t mean he has to dominate - that would be unrealistic.   But I think he has to be a conspicuous part of his team’s success.  

We have lots of journeymen in our player pool.  The hope (and I think expectation) is that Liam elevates himself above that level and becomes part of our theoretical “golden generation”.  But to do that he needs to show that he can excel in a league like this.  If he does, it will be great for him and for us. 

8 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Absurd? You think Hoilett, Larin are that far above Millar? He's on the books at Liverpool for a reason.

Yes - Hoilett and Larin were miles above Millar at the same age. Hoilett was scoring in the Premier League and Larin was a top scorer in MLS.  
But even Larin and, maybe Hoilett too, I wouldn’t have been comparing to Davies and David and putting them in that class.

Just saying that the expectations are way out of whack and you’ll turn on the kid for your lack of perspective.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Yes - Hoilett and Larin were miles above Millar at the same age. Hoilett was scoring in the Premier League and Larin was a top scorer in MLS.  
But even Larin and, maybe Hoilett too, I wouldn’t have been comparing to Davies and David and putting them in that class.

Just saying that the expectations are way out of whack and you’ll turn on the kid for your lack of perspective.

Agreed and I would go another step further and suggest you could even ask if Harry Paton isn't a better current comparable?