Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Players develop at different rates, let's keep in mind.

Hoilett was scoring in the Premier League at 21, sure, but that 7 goal season was arguably his best. Since then his best season in the Premier League was 3 goals, and he's been relegated to the Championship on multiple occasions. He's in the Championship right now. Hard not to look at his 7 goal season with Blackburn as the highlight. Don't get me wrong, he's had a very solid career, especially for a concacaf player, but his overall trajectory has been downward after 21 years old, and it's not like he had an injury to derail him. It's a little odd, but that's just how he turned out.

Larin at 21 years old was scoring tons of goals at Orlando, and he has yet to break his 17 goal record he set as a rookie. His other seasons in MLS were impressive, but every season he scored less and less. However, this season he looks on pace to break 17 goals, and before that he had a rebound loan after a very disappointing 2 years at Besiktas. His trajectory is looking more like a "U" right now.  

Point being, we don't know how things will play out, so where he is at 21 compared to other players doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Millar could go kick on from here to be an absolute stud and be on his way to being 3rd best young player in the pool behind Davies or David, or he could struggle to make an impact and never get a run in the Premier League. Maybe it'll be somewhere in between. He'll just have to take it one day at a time, and so will we while we hope for the best and support him. I think he has the talent to be that 3rd guy. 

Edited by Obinna

This will be a good move for him but we shouldn't overdo our expectations. It's akin to him going on loan in the 3 liga, to a club like Duisburg. PL2 is not a high level. It's full of players just out of youth systems and the adult players that couldn't get loaned out. There are Championship teams in the PL2, like Blackburn. This will be a challenge for him, and he'll likely do better next year after he has acclimatized to first team football, and I hope he does well.

30 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

This will be a good move for him but we shouldn't overdo our expectations. It's akin to him going on loan in the 3 liga, to a club like Duisburg. PL2 is not a high level. It's full of players just out of youth systems and the adult players that couldn't get loaned out. There are Championship teams in the PL2, like Blackburn. This will be a challenge for him, and he'll likely do better next year after he has acclimatized to first team football, and I hope he does well.

I basically agree with the level, it is about as low as he'd want to go. Agree too that the only other comparable third tier is Bundesliga 3, as they are the only fully national one-division third tiers of worth in Europe. Championship or another top 2nd tier would have been better, but it could also have meant less playing time.

I like Charlton as it is an upper level League One team, with aspirations to promote but not an overwhelming pressure to do so. There are expectations, and the competition will be hard enough. The manager said they'd needed players able to dribble a rival. So there is leeway to play guys and not be in panic mode, but they do seem reasonably placed to fight for a playoff spot. Also, a club with a good stadium and fan base, all of that is positive.

Edit: just to add, I do think he should excel, he should be fully in step with the best of the team and be deserving of playing time with the team getting results.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I think we can have high expectations for him, mine are that he plays well and develops as a professional footballer! We don't know exactly how he will be played so we can't really say he needs to score X number of goals, League One has some big clubs in it and teams with good squads, it is a very physical league, teams dropping out of The Championship into it sometimes have a hard time getting promoted, Charlton is an example of that! I'm anxious to see how he does playing at this level, I expect he will do well and that should go a long way in helping the Addicks get into the promotion mix!

I think a lot of people are still thinking of him as a Liverpool player, hence the Davies/David talk. I think it’s best to set expectations and consider him a Charlton player (assuming he gets playing time) in D3 England. We shouldn’t expect him to score a couple game winners on the way to promotion and then walk into the Liverpool first team.

Best of luck to him though. I like the move and hope he can thrive at Charlton!

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think a lot of people are still thinking of him as a Liverpool player, hence the Davies/David talk. I think it’s best to set expectations and consider him a Charlton player (assuming he gets playing time) in D3 England. We shouldn’t expect him to score a couple game winners on the way to promotion and then walk into the Liverpool first team.

At some point we’ll have to stop comparing David to Davies as well. At least until his performances pick up at this level

1 minute ago, Kent said:

We can consider him a Liverpool player currently on loan at Charlton. Based on the skill level of the individual players, a lot of the play in PL2 is superior to what Liam's going to experience in League One. However, he's going to have to adjust to intensity and aggression levels in League One that will be beyond anything he's seen in PL2. In that regard, a year in the SPL with Kilmarnock will be invaluable experience for him to call on over the next 5 months. I expect that Liam will do very well at the Valley. If he can play in 20+ league games and score a few and assist a few, I'd be looking at it as a successful stint.

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

What are the odds that he sees the pitch today?  Starts?   

Pretty quick turnaround to get integrated in to the team/system. 

Omar Marmoush got in as a substitute a day after being loaned out to St. Pauli.  I don't think it will mean much if he doesn't get in today, but I suspect that a player of his quality could be used right away in the Charlton squad.  Seems like an ideal candidate with his pace and point to prove for a late substitution.  Here's hoping he even gets the start.

Very cool, wasn't expecting him to start so quickly. Some quick research seems to show that Charlton have played a few different formations, but mainly without wingers so it will be interesting to see where they play him. The other signing, Schwartz, is on the bench.

Just now, gator said:

He's playing along with Paul Smyth who I know very well from QPR, he is on loan, he is a small pacy forward they may work well together!

Washington up top with Smyth and Millar on the wings. Washington and Smyth both Northern Ireland internationals.