Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

It’s so “un-Canadian” of him to be who he is. But I love it. We need more guys who understand the dark arts of football, but are also very skillful...especially in Concacaf.

I do find it funny that for a little guy, he acts as if he’s a black belt in jiujitsu where he’s always ready to test it out lol....I’m always like “please,  nobody pull on his arm, and do something to his shoulder”

• 4 months later...

Johnston must have gone to the John Herdman school of lip service. Laryea the best right back in CONCACAF and based on what he’s done in the past 48 months? The guy didn’t start playing RB until less than 2 years ago.

Seems like a good guy but more importantly for our sake he’s a solid player. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s smart to talk that way. Sort of saying “hey, I’m ingrained in this squad as the #2 RB” 

8 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Johnston must have gone to the John Herdman school of lip service. Laryea the best right back in CONCACAF and based on what he’s done in the past 48 months? The guy didn’t start playing RB until less than 2 years ago.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s smart to talk that way. Sort of saying “hey, I’m ingrained in this squad as the #2 RB” 

semantics aside... Laryea is a pretty damn good right back, easily one of the best in MLS, and probably good enough for Liga MX teams. It wasn't long ago we had to play Henry at right back... oh lets never forget those days...

Edited by LeoH037

47 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

semantics aside... Laryea is a pretty damn good right back, easily one of the best in MLS, and could probably good enough for Liga MX teams. It wasn't long ago we had to play Henry at right back... oh lets never forget those days...

I feel like before Henry, it was Hainault or Ledgerwood at RB for a lot of matches ...

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Davies didn't start playing left back until 2 years ago either. Does that mean he isn't one of the best left backs in the world? I'd say Laryea's definitely top 2 with Tinnerholm in MLS, and I'd lean to 1, but I'm biased. Then in CONCACAF Corona would be better than him but I don't think he plays right back for Mexico which leaves Dest. I think anyone else is arguable.

1 minute ago, sebdeserio said:

Davies didn't start playing left back until 2 years ago either. Does that mean he isn't one of the best left backs in the world? I'd say Laryea's definitely top 2 with Tinnerholm in MLS, and I'd lean to 1, but I'm biased. Then in CONCACAF Corona would be better than him but I don't think he plays right back for Mexico which leaves Dest. I think anyone else is arguable.

That's not what I'm saying. Johnston, if you listen, says that he's the best RB based on the last 48 months (4 years). That is impossible as he didn't start playing RB until 2019.

40 minutes ago, gator said:

Vanney didn't think he was the best RB on TFC!  Reminds me of the old John Lennon quote when asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, his reply "He's not the best drummer in The Beatles"!

Part of that is likely true, Morrow and Auro being amongst the best FB’s in the league didn’t help Layrea’s minutes, embarrassment of riches.

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That's not what I'm saying. Johnston, if you listen, says that he's the best RB based on the last 48 months (4 years). That is impossible as he didn't start playing RB until 2019.

I think he may have actually said '4 to 8 months,' not '48 months'. Both are a bit weird...48 months, because normally people just say 4 years, and because RL hasn't been a RB for that long...4-8 months, because most of that time frame falls during the MLS off-season, when RL hasn't been playing games.

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think he may have actually said '4 to 8 months,' not '48 months'. Both are a bit weird...48 months, because normally people just say 4 years, and because RL hasn't been a RB for that long...4-8 months, because most of that time frame falls during the MLS off-season, when RL hasn't been playing games.

Geez, guys.  4 to 8 months; 48 months.  Can we just not agree on the fact that he thinks RL has been one of the best RBs recently.  Maybe he misspoke a bit on the timeframe.  He's a footballer, not a lawyer.

4 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Geez, guys.  4 to 8 months; 48 months.  Can we just not agree on the fact that he thinks RL has been one of the best RBs recently.  Maybe he misspoke a bit on the timeframe.  He's a footballer, not a lawyer.

There's no level minutiae that's out of bounds for nit picking on this board!

16 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Lol this is the third “Atiba recommended rumour” in the last few weeks (Baldisimo, Corbeanu and now laryea).

i think this is the only one that makes sense because Richie can play at that level right now 

Would be crazy, there like best friends of very close. Incredible for a guy who wasn’t MLS caliber. I hope he moves up a level.