Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Is he too good for MLS?

I am big on Laryea and hope he outgrows MLS, but I think it is too early to think he is already too good for the league.  Sustaining this kind of impact consistently is the next challenge. 

Right now he is a lock for a starting role in one of the best teams in MLS right now.  There are far worse places to be.  

Yup I second that. Way too early to ask if Laryea is too good for MLS. I am a big fan of his play, but he has a lot to accomplish at this level before we ask that question. 

That said, last night I did ask myself "how much longer will he be at TFC"? I am sure many of us had the realization last night that it's only a matter of time before he jumps to a higher level, which is kind of crazy considering he was eying a CPL move if the Toronto trial didn't work out. 

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

at 26 after this season it will soon be now or never time to move to a higher level

Last season hinted at Laryea's massive upside and this season just confirms how good he is. Next season I think will be when he moves, if he moves. A lot of good MLS players stay in the league and go on to have solid careers. Nothing wrong with it. Jordan Morris is an obvious example. Jonathan Osorio is a good example too. I can see Laryea being a life-long MLS/TFC guy. He is finally earning a good pay check in his hometown after several turbulent years of trying to find his feet. He has a young child as well. I wonder how bad he wants to uproot himself to chase the European dream. Maybe it will take an Oso level TAM deal to keep him around. And like Oso, I don't doubt he has the talent to play at a higher level in Europe if he wants.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Last season hinted at Laryea's massive upside and this season just confirms how good he is. Next season I think will be when he moves, if he moves. A lot of good MLS players stay in the league and go on to have solid careers. Nothing wrong with it. Jordan Morris is an obvious example. Jonathan Osorio is a good example too. I can see Laryea being a life-long MLS/TFC guy. He is finally earning a good pay check in his hometown after several turbulent years of trying to find his feet. He has a young child as well. I wonder how bad he wants to uproot himself to chase the European dream. Maybe it will take an Oso level TAM deal to keep him around. And like Oso, I don't doubt he has the talent to play at a higher level in Europe if he wants.

I lost track of the salary rules a few years back. Is there a limit to the number of TAM players that can be on a team? Or is it just based on a total sum of TAM dollars. TFC has Bradley and Osorio both on TAM now right? Anyone else, like Gallardo? Is there space for Richie as well on a TAM contract or would they have to get rid of someone?

33 minutes ago, Kent said:

I lost track of the salary rules a few years back. Is there a limit to the number of TAM players that can be on a team? Or is it just based on a total sum of TAM dollars. TFC has Bradley and Osorio both on TAM now right? Anyone else, like Gallardo? Is there space for Richie as well on a TAM contract or would they have to get rid of someone?

I can't recall for sure if there is a limit on number of TAM players or not, but I don't think there is. Just the number of dollars. Someone more up to date can confirm for us hopefully. Yes off hand I believe Oso, Bradley, Gallardo, Omar, and (I think) Mavinga are all on TAM contracts. I am pretty sure they'd have to cut ties with someone to sign Laryea to a TAM deal.

He recently got a new contract, which was like 2.5x his original salary, so although he was on a near minimum contract that's still a nice raise. I only see them using TAM as a last resort to try and keep him around when/if push comes to shove, kind of like how the Oso thing went down. 

Edited by Obinna

Cant you go up to 400g+ before you have to worry about topping up wages to avoid using a DP spot??  Recently we have seen TFC pay starters like Morrow, Moor, Bono in the 300-400 range. Delgado prob got that on his new contract and high priced bench guys like Mullins and Zav are making 250-300.  Lareya new contract might have put him up there, so he prob has a bit of room before TAM comes in.  You could easily dump Mullins/Zav and replace them with cheaper younger CDN academy kids (Dunn/Nelsen etc) and use that money to keep Lareya happy.   WIll Johnson maxed out at 400+g's and he was a MLS allstar/Best 11. 

But remember it wasnt long ago that Vanney still saw him as a "super sub" and not a starter that creates instant offense and can play FB/WINGER on both sides. 

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Cant you go up to 400g+ before you have to worry about topping up wages to avoid using a DP spot??  Recently we have seen TFC pay starters like Morrow, Moor, Bono in the 300-400 range. Delgado prob got that on his new contract and high priced bench guys like Mullins and Zav are making 250-300.  Lareya new contract might have put him up there, so he prob has a bit of room before TAM comes in.  You could easily dump Mullins/Zav and replace them with cheaper younger CDN academy kids (Dunn/Nelsen etc) and use that money to keep Lareya happy.   WIll Johnson maxed out at 400+g's and he was a MLS allstar/Best 11. 

But remember it wasnt long ago that Vanney still saw him as a "super sub" and not a starter that creates instant offense and can play FB/WINGER on both sides. 

Pretty sure Laryea is under 200k still, so yeah, quite a bit of room for him yet I think.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Named MLS Player of the Week:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/09/28/toronto-fc-right-back-richie-laryea-named-mls-player-week-week-14

But the funniest part is that the MLS site didn't even name him MoTM! So good enough for POTW but not MOTM... classic MLS.

Reminds me of the time Dwayne De Rosario won MLS Goal of the Decade but the same goal didn't even get goal of the year.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Reminds me of the time Dwayne De Rosario won MLS Goal of the Decade but the same goal didn't even get goal of the year.

Also, I know it’s a fan vote but Will Johnson didn’t win goal of the week but won goal of the year in 2008. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

The writer of the article said something like "Richie was great buuuuut....Pozuelo".

Yeah his reasoning here:

MAN OF THE MATCH: Laryea fueled the second-half comeback with penetrating runs down the right flank. But Pozuelo deserves the honor after scoring in his third straight match and continuing to be vital to TFC's recent rise.

So he didn’t win man of the MATCH.. because of the context of Pozuelos previous performances.... expert analysis there.

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Predictable! Pozuelo was very good but Laryea made all 3 goals happen. 

Exactly! Without Laryea, Pozuelo wouldn't have had the ball to pass to Jozy, or to shoot, or to... wait, the 3rd was ALL Richie.

I knew that he had some moves, but what Laryea did to the Crew (and to NYCFC the game before, when he ran through three players to the middle of the box just inside the 18 before passing off) have shown some world class control, combined with speed.  

He also tends not to miss either. When he shoots, the keeper better save it, 'cause it's not going wide.

8 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I think one of the most interesting things is that I have yet to see a predictable dribble from Laryea.  Whenever he's in a one on one situation, you don't know how he's going to get by the defender but he seems to do it every time.  And he makes the defenders look foolish by doing so.

Zigging when you think he's going to zag, some short, sharp touches and a snap shot just heavy enough to allow for perfect placement. 

Thought he was playing futsal there for a bit.  Beauty.  

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I’m saying it. I think he is good enough to get significant time in a big 4 League. Probably not a Champions League team, but I think he could contribute in a mid or lower table team in any of the big 4 (although I don’t know much about La Liga or Serie A, so I don’t know if he fits there or not). I hope he moves on from TFC this winter.