Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

3 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Can we give this guy some absolute credit for these 3 games? He was amazing all three games. Absolutely love his grit, heart and made some great plays all week including a great ball to Hutch for the first goal. Well done, Richie!

It's not only that, but he's an absolute equalizer when it comes to the dark arts/$hit disturber games that all the Central American teams play on you.  He goes down at the slightest contact, he gets up and sticks his nose right up to yours, he'll give you a little shove or a cleat as he leaves, he's a guy you want to just punch in the face.  And he's all ours... 😍

Yeah, it is funny how he and Oso can step things up for the Nats despite what is going on at TFC.  I remember before this window people were questioning how they would play based onc club form, but I was pretty sure playing with Canada is like a breath of fresh air for these guys.  Better talent and better environment.  

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, it is funny how he and Oso can step things up for the Nats despite what is going on at TFC.  I remember before this window people were questioning how they would play based onc club form, but I was pretty sure playing with Canada is like a breath of fresh air for these guys.  Better talent and better environment.  

Its not those 2 that are stinking up the joint at TFC.  Hopefully they can take some of this positive brotherhood vibe and bring it to TO.  

11 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Such a good dribbler, which is obvious but combined with his football IQ and underrated 1v1 defending he really is wasted at TFC and MLS, and I say that as a TFC fan.

Yet it’s with TFC that he was given a chance after hardly playing for Orlando and being released. We need to stop thinking because a player only plays in this league or that league that they can’t be very useful to our national team. Just look at Panama, Costa Rica , Honduras who have made World Cups with players playing in some no name leagues . Of course I would love to see Laryea play for a big 5 European league , but he is doing fine with the national team right now and playing in the MLS and that does not seem to be affecting his game with the national team,  if it ain’t broke no need to fix it.

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yet it’s with TFC that he was given a chance after hardly playing for Orlando and being released. We need to stop thinking because a player only plays in this league or that league that they can’t be very useful to our national team. Just look at Panama, Costa Rica , Honduras who have made World Cups with players playing in some no name leagues . Of course I would love to see Laryea play for a big 5 European league , but he is doing fine with the national team right now and playing in the MLS and that does not seem to be affecting his game with the national team,  if it ain’t broke no need to fix it.

In fact, Laryea and Osorio's experience on the CCL grind in Central America is something uniquely useful they bring to this campaign that a lot of other players don't have.

13 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

In fact, Laryea and Osorio's experience on the CCL grind in Central America is something uniquely useful they bring to this campaign that a lot of other players don't have.

Laryea certainly won't be intimated in hostile CONCACAF venues.  I don't know if he speaks Spanish but he was talking to ES players after dead ball situations all game.

1 hour ago, canadianbacons said:

Richie is the Matthew Barnaby or Esa Tikkanen of Canadian soccer.  I would not want to play against him and would probably want to punch him in the face.

Happy we have a guy like him on our team, both for his soccer talent and ability to piss off the other team. Can CONCACAF with the best of them.

I was gonna say he has the offence of a Brad Marchand but Brad Marchand is too subhuman to compare anyone to.

17 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope he does move abroad but any buzz about him moving to Europe has completely disappeared, like with Kaye too.

Honestly, and I know not everyone agrees with this, but with the level of play in MLS climbing all the time, players will have to be even more exceptional (literally, as in being the exception to the level of play on their team) to earn a move abroad.  As it is, salaries are respectable in MLS - even if a bit underwhelming in some cases - so I think more and more guys that are the calibre of Laryea and Kaye (who are pretty much playing at their potential) will stay home.  For younger guys like Tajon who obviously still have room to develop further, a European move is warranted - but there is nothing wrong with having guys play at the MLS level for their whole careers.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, and I know not everyone agrees with this, but with the level of play in MLS climbing all the time, players will have to be even more exceptional (literally, as in being the exception to the level of play on their team) to earn a move abroad.  As it is, salaries are respectable in MLS - even if a bit underwhelming in some cases - so I think more and more guys that are the calibre of Laryea and Kaye (who are pretty much playing at their potential) will stay home.  For younger guys like Tajon who obviously still have room to develop further, a European move is warranted - but there is nothing wrong with having guys play at the MLS level for their whole careers.  

Yeah, I was gonna say this too. The level inches up every year. Nowadays being one of the top dogs in your position in MLS is a pretty good level to be at. Might not have the panache and rock solid consistency of their top European peers but this is still a very good pedigree to have and at least at the mid-tier effective on international duty.

I've been an MLS hater over the past few years, but  I agree that I've seen a real improvement of late -particularly in terms of fullbacks. 

I'm not sure this post all makes sense though. If the salary in MLS doesn't keep up with the player quality, smart teams in Europe will swoop in. And veterans are always needed.  

I think the lack of movement is attributable to MLS' desire to be Major League. Not taking modest fees when they can.

4 hours ago, Lansdude said:

I think Richie's only been around for this year's run with no fans and the shitshow in Panama, but you can definitely see it with Osorio.

Richie is currently on ~200k, or less than Mullins, Bono, Gallardo, Deleon and Auro. He's still on his second contract so he will undoubtedly get a raise but that's pretty shameful and he can easily make more in a more competitive environment.

I see him as being a player who rises to the level of competition and from that sense he's being held back and I think a new challenge will raise his ceiling. I don't see TFC being successful next year unless there's some huge changes, and with huge changes comes an adjustment period.

5 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I think Richie's only been around for this year's run with no fans and the shitshow in Panama, but you can definitely see it with Osorio.

Richie is currently on ~200k, or less than Mullins, Bono, Gallardo, Deleon and Auro. He's still on his second contract so he will undoubtedly get a raise but that's pretty shameful and he can easily make more in a more competitive environment.

I see him as being a player who rises to the level of competition and from that sense he's being held back and I think a new challenge will raise his ceiling. I don't see TFC being successful next year unless there's some huge changes, and with huge changes comes an adjustment period.

That’s fair for sure.  I guess I am viewing solely in terms of the level of play, and in that respect I don’t see a burning need for most guys (including Laryea) to leave MLS.   Now if he can make a move and get paid, more power to him.  

He was incredible yesterday!  Can I ask a serious question?  How in the fuck did this guy not get noticed as being this good earlier in his career?  Like, WTF?!?  Were teams blind?  Did he develop incredibly late?  I am so befuddled by this ... when I watch him now, his quality is so evident that I think, how could professional scouts and coaches not seen this day in and day out.  In addition to his assist, almost goal, incredible last second defensive clearance that surely saved a goal, and countless other dangerous runs, I was noticing him hustle up and down the field in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd match of this window.  How he was not absolutely gassed by then, I can't comprehend.

1 minute ago, Addona said:

He was incredible yesterday!  Can I ask a serious question?  How in the fuck did this guy not get noticed as being this good earlier in his career?  Like, WTF?!?  Were teams blind?  Did he develop incredibly late?  I am so befuddled by this ... when I watch him now, his quality is so evident that I think, how could professional scouts and coaches not seen this day in and day out.  In addition to his assist, almost goal, incredible last second defensive clearance that surely saved a goal, and countless other dangerous runs, I was noticing him hustle up and down the field in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd match of this window.  How he was not absolutely gassed by then, I can't comprehend.

It's pretty surprising, but the simplest explanation is that he wasn't the player back then he is now. Obviously he had the potential to be this kind of player, which is why he made it to MLS in the first place, but clearly he never showed it in Orlando for whatever reason. I am sure if he were playing like this at Orlando City B he would have been a permanent fixture at the first team.

Players can take time to unlock their full potential, and fortunately for Toronto (and unfortunately for Orlando) part of this process was switching clubs.