Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

OK. I’m saying it. I think he is good enough to get significant time in a big 4 League. Probably not a Champions League team, but I think he could contribute in a mid or lower table team in any of the big 4 (although I don’t know much about La Liga or Serie A, so I don’t know if he fits there or not). I hope he moves on from TFC this winter.

Will never understand why everyone is so keen on having him move. He has a young family and recently just settled in Toronto where he is thriving. Moving abroad is a career risk for any player, which is greater when you have a small young family to think about.

How has the moves gone for Borges? Or David? Not everyone needs to move 10min after they become successful.  Vanney wasnt even starting him earlier in the summer.  He spent 3 wasted years at Orlando before he found a good groove.  You see new aspects of his game all the time.  He is taking guys on with a purpose now and when he does he isnt just blasting in crosses but finding guys on cut backs for great scoring chances.  I would hate to seem him go over and get stuck behind someone and stagnate when it seems like he is growing in leaps and bounds now.  I might try and squeze TFC for some more cash if possible but jumping somewhere else isnt always the best plan when its taken you years to get into a good situation.  

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How has the moves gone for Borges? Or David? Not everyone needs to move 10min after they become successful.  Vanney wasnt even starting him earlier in the summer.  He spent 3 wasted years at Orlando before he found a good groove.  You see new aspects of his game all the time.  He is taking guys on with a purpose now and when he does he isnt just blasting in crosses but finding guys on cut backs for great scoring chances.  I would hate to seem him go over and get stuck behind someone and stagnate when it seems like he is growing in leaps and bounds now.  I might try and squeze TFC for some more cash if possible but jumping somewhere else isnt always the best plan when its taken you years to get into a good situation.  

I hear you and I usually am not one to be in a rush as soon as someone gets games. I just am really, really high on Laryea. His dribbling is special. As mentioned he is finding people to pass to consistently. He is solid at the back too in my opinion. In my opinion he seems a lot closer to Davies than to Borges in terms of quality.

Edited by Kent

Laryea and I know soccer is a team sport , is one of the reasons that TFC is topping the league right now and on a great run right now. There are not that many times that we can say that a Canadian player is a major reason why a certain team in a decent level league like the MLS is a big part of their winning ways. Yes we do have a few other players presently and the past that have played big parts or are playing major roles  in their teams success, but we don’t get to say it a lot so it’s nice to see it. Last night when Laryea came off in the second half from cramping I was like oh oh this is a major loss both defensively and offensively with it being a one goal lead at the time. There are not too many times as a Canadian soccer fan I get to say that when a Canadian player comes off during a game in a league at the level of the MLS or even at leagues a lot higher levels than MLS where we have Canadian players playing. 

We talk about possibly playing Davies at left back or wing back for Canada and picking the formation/tactic to maximize him, and the truth is that Vanney schemes up Laryea for TFC. That's how much of a threat this guy is -- Vanney gameplans his side to maximize Richie Fuckin' Laryea. (note I am not trying to make a Davies/Laryea comparison, just a thought I had from other threads)

And against Atlanta, it directly led to the goal! When Laryea came on he had Delgado (and then Fraser) drop into the right back position, the right winger would tuck inside (though this is a general feature of the system) and this basically gives Laryea 1v1 situations against the full back, with cover behind him just in case. It must have been satisfying for TFC to see their game plan directly lead to a win, but credit has to go to Laryea for producing (time and time again).

Laryea is doing for TFC exactly what Davies does for Bayern. Vanney WANTS Richie to get on 1v1s against opposing players because he know more often than not Laryea will beat them on the dribble. Its frustrating when you think what if Richie had not gone to the train wreck that was Orlando at the time he was drafted, if those 3-4 years had had been playing consistently where he could be right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, LeoH037 said:

Soft penalty, but to his credit, it was easy to sell after he  undressed that Miami defense, made them all real nervy

The defender was all over him.  Arms around him and kicking at his feet from behind. Laryea may have gone down without a lot of fight, but most refs are totally calling that based on what the defender was doing.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The defender was all over him.  Arms around him and kicking at his feet from behind. Laryea may have gone down without a lot of fight, but most refs are totally calling that based on what the defender was doing.  

Exactly, defender looked nervous, which he had good reason to be, and Richie was clever to use the optics to his advantage.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And is it just me or does Ritchie seem to get into a bit of a scuffle pretty much every game now.  Seems like he plays with some fire in his belly.  

I swear, Richie has CONCACAF written all over him haha, he looks like a real shit stirrer, I love it

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And is it just me or does Ritchie seem to get into a bit of a scuffle pretty much every game now.  Seems like he plays with some fire in his belly.  

Its going to be nice when Laryea goes into Mexico or Honduras and gets under their skin, forcing them make rash fouls and draws cards.  Its been a long time since we had a "pest" that could really work the other squad.  He created that goal tonight out of nothing...

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Its going to be nice when Laryea goes into Mexico or Honduras and gets under their skin, forcing them make rash fouls and draws cards.  Its been a long time since we had a "pest" that could really work the other squad.  He created that goal tonight out of nothing...

100% agreed. Hard as nail, takes no shit, beats defenders 1:1, a winner that flat out makes shit happen.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah he does, but has he ever ended up lashing out or doing something stupid? He has never gotten a red in MLS. So I feel like he gets into it but is under control still. I kind of think he could have gotten an MVP nom (one of the 700 or whatever) over Mavinga, but it’s close.