• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You must not know Vanney.   

That’s how we roll here. 1 game is enough to say either “this player shouldn’t be called anymore, we have to bring on the kids” if someone plays poorly or is benched, or “he will be a guaranteed start

Fully on the Ritchie Laryea hype train!

Posted Images

All Richie Laryea on TFC’s first goal tonight against Montreal Impact. Richie Laryea with an Alfonso Davies type run down the side of the touch line , turns on the burners and puts in a nice cross for Piatti to basically more or less tap in the net. This kid just continues to impress . If he keeps this up a move abroad to a decent league might be a reality .

11 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

All Richie Laryea on TFC’s first goal tonight against Montreal Impact. Richie Laryea with an Alfonso Davies type run down the side of the touch line , turns on the burners and puts in a nice cross for Piatti to basically more or less tap in the net. This kid just continues to impress . If he keeps this up a move abroad to a decent league might be a reality .

It may not be too far-fetched in fact!!!.. One mate of mine, who is a great source for all things Canadian fútbol and has contacts with people connected with the players, said once to me something along the lines that another couple or so good seasons for TFC and he can see him moving to a league abroad of a decent quality... U also gotta value his versatility, how multi-functional he is, lol.  Speak which, which abroad leagues you think he  would be a good fit in?

In a podcast I was invited, one guy describe him as a poor-man's Alphonso Davies! 😉

10 minutes ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

It may not be too far-fetched in fact!!!.. One mate of mine, who is a great source for all things Canadian fútbol and has contacts with people connected with the players, said once to me something along the lines that another couple or so good seasons for TFC and he can see him moving to a league abroad of a decent quality... U also gotta value his versatility, how multi-functional he is, lol.  Speak which, which abroad leagues you think he  would be a good fit in?

In a podcast I was invited, one guy describe him as a poor-man's Alphonso Davies! 😉

Lol that might actually be a compliment and he might think it is too “ a poor man’s Alphonso Davies” . In terms of leagues maybe a Portugal, Belgium even a France but you never know if he keeps this up especially in today’s market and how Covid is having an effect on transfers so who knows .

To be noted about the play is that be actually goes around the far side of Winks and plays the ball across with his weak left foot instead of cutting in or cutting back and putting it on his right. Would be tremendous if he's actively building up the left and could get close to competent with both feet.

To carry on the Davies analogy iirc there was a period of time shortly after he arrived when Bayern didn't like Davies right foot then targeted that weakness during training. Turned out well.

You can pretty much throw out MLS assists stats as being meaningless since they deprived Laryea of one on that play. If you can't get an assist when you take the ball, run 50 yards with it, being about 3 guys and setting it up perfectly for your teammate on a tap in because the pass is deflected then you might as well not award assists at all. Ridiculous.

37 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

You can pretty much throw out MLS assists stats as being meaningless since they deprived Laryea of one on that play. If you can't get an assist when you take the ball, run 50 yards with it, being about 3 guys and setting it up perfectly for your teammate on a tap in because the pass is deflected then you might as well not award assists at all. Ridiculous.

Lol.  How is that possible?   

This guy just keeps getting better and better!  He's played 3 different positions already this season?  Seems solid defensively and ridiculously dangerous attacking.  Is there anything he can't do???  See where I"m going with this..... shall CANMNT try him at CB???

Was fun to watch him head to head vs ZBG.  Laryea definitely won this one, he's at least a step ahead, but since he's playing on the left, I guess they're not really in competition for CANMNT RB role anymore.

Edited by costarg

Also shows exactly why its important to judge a player by watching a game rather than just statistics.  An incredible play by Laryea on that goal.  With all that being said, that is never going to count as an assist in any league.  The trajectory of that ball is clearly going to Jozy and would end up between the penalty spot and the top of the 18 without the deflection and not across the 6 yard box.

Live it looked like a perfect pass from Laryea but slowed down its clear that Piatti was never the target at the back post.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

This guy just keeps getting better and better!  He's played 3 different positions already this season?  Seems solid defensively and ridiculously dangerous attacking.  Is there anything he can't do???  See where I"m going with this..... shall CANMNT try him at CB???

Was fun to watch him head to head vs ZBG.  Laryea definitely won this one, he's at least a step ahead, but since he's playing on the left, I guess they're not really in competition for CANMNT LB role.

hes played 4 positions, LW, RW, RB, LB and he can play CM. 

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It was an incredible run and should be worthy of an assist, but to my eye it looked like he was trying to cut the ball back to Altidore (which is why it deflected off Binks). That's not taking away from the overall play as fortune favours the bold.

EDIT: I should've read @Corazon's response before posting my own.

I am loving the way Ritchie is playing this year.  There was a moment early in the game when ZBG had the ball and was ahead of him upfield.  Ritchie closes the gap almost immediately and broke up the play.   I don’t want to debate the Davies-esque attributes, but he has been improving steadily and has shown a lot of pace and quality.   Count me as a fan.  Definitely a lock for a starting spot in the Nats based on current form.  And since he is doing the work on the left side, he would be my auto choice at LB unless he really shows a drop off in quality.   No need to play Davies back there when Ritchie could free him up to maraud further upfield.  And the two of them combining on the left side with a speedy David in attack as well... spicy.   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am loving the way Ritchie is playing this year.  There was a moment early in the game when ZBG had the ball and was ahead of him upfield.  Ritchie closes the gap almost immediately and broke up the play.   I don’t want to debate the Davies-esque attributes, but he has been improving steadily and has shown a lot of pace and quality.   Count me as a fan.  Definitely a lock for a starting spot in the Nats based on current form.  And since he is doing the work on the left side, he would be my auto choice at LB unless he really shows a drop off in quality.   No need to play Davies back there when Ritchie could free him up to maraud further upfield.  And the two of them combining on the left side with a speedy David in attack as well... spicy.   

I see it the same way. I think Davies and Laryea on the left side makes us solid, since both players can interchange as the game calls for. In most cases, I would start Davies in front of Laryea and let them swap as they see fit. Would be an interesting experiment at least. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I see it the same way. I think Davies and Laryea on the left side makes us solid, since both players can interchange as the game calls for. In most cases, I would start Davies in front of Laryea and let them swap as they see fit. Would be an interesting experiment at least. 

I agree.  I mentioned it earlier in the thread and I could really see it happening.  I have been quite impressed with Laryea's play.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, RS said:

It was an incredible run and should be worthy of an assist, but to my eye it looked like he was trying to cut the ball back to Altidore (which is why it deflected off Binks). That's not taking away from the overall play as fortune favours the bold.

EDIT: I should've read @Corazon's response before posting my own.

Yes,  this is one that you have to have watched reply several times to notice.  Interestingly,  if the assist would have been awarded to Larea then, seeing as they now award second assist in MLS, Westberg would have also gotten an assist.  

Edited by Free kick
On 9/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, Corazon said:

Also shows exactly why its important to judge a player by watching a game rather than just statistics.  An incredible play by Laryea on that goal.  With all that being said, that is never going to count as an assist in any league.  The trajectory of that ball is clearly going to Jozy and would end up between the penalty spot and the top of the 18 without the deflection and not across the 6 yard box.

Live it looked like a perfect pass from Laryea but slowed down its clear that Piatti was never the target at the back post.

And i am good with that.  Unlike in Hockey,  In soccer & Basketball,  an assist has to be earned.  In hockey they hand them out like cheap candy.  Puck bounces off your ass and on to the stick of goal scorer, you get an assist.   I always hated that part about hockey.   Its why so many mediocre hockey players have managed to pad their stats when playing alongside (on the same line) an elite talent

Edited by Free kick
3 hours ago, Free kick said:

And i am good with that.  Unlike in Hockey,  In soccer & Basketball,  an assist has to be earned.  In hockey they hand them out like cheap candy.

I agree for the most part but did you get an assist in soccer for passing a safe ball  to Giovinco or Vela when he had two defenders in front of him but then he would dribble around them to cut in and shoot to score?  Or do you get credited with a key pass when the defender should really have intercepted it or there was a total break down in marking and the receiver is wide open at the far post but misses his chance?

I've also see these kind of Opta stats cherry picked to fit a narrative about a player and like Corazon said, you have to see the context of the match to get the full.  In his last start with the Caps, in Montreal, Patrick Metcalfe was 100% successful in completing all 17 passes he attempted but I think half of them went backwards to CB Andy Rose.

That was a really nice play by Laryea, even if he didn't get the assist.

Edited by BearcatSA
12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

TFC just signed a 22 year old Scottish Liverpool player who plays LB on loan for the season.  No not Andy Robertson, but Tony Gallacher

It will be interesting if he has any impact on playing time for Auro, Morrow & Laryea.

I'd guess he starts as a backup and they work him in to give morrow a rest. Laryea will be a left winger mostly if I had to guess. 

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

TFC just signed a 22 year old Scottish Liverpool player who plays LB on loan for the season.  No not Andy Robertson, but Tony Gallacher

It will be interesting if he has any impact on playing time for Auro, Morrow & Laryea.

This is more so looking at replacing Morrow, who's nearly 33. He is definitely not getting better.

My thing is...why couldn't they give Terrique a look?