Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I haven’t been able to see their games lately. Has he been able to whip in crosses on his left foot well or is he just cutting in every time? 

He doesn't cross with his left much, no.  He'll try to run around a defender and then pass, usually with his right, or he'll cut in.  A lot of the time at LB when he gets forward with the ball he'll stop and pass back to Pozuelo/Osorio/Bradley, though I think that's more because of Vanney's style of play.

Edited by Trois Reds

10 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

He doesn't cross with his left much, no.  He'll try to run around a defender and then pass, usually with his right, or he'll cut in.  A lot of the time at LB when he gets forward with the ball he'll stop and pass back to Pozuelo/Osorio/Bradley, though I think that's more because of Vanney's style of play.

If he can’t cross with his left, he will soon be scouted and half decent defenders will just show him to the outside.  Especially internationally.  I know people can start saying all this Arjen Robben crap, but as good as Laryea is, he is no Robben

He looks like when Bassong player RB.. Cutting in on every chance - but he did well.

The thing with Laryea is he’s 1v1 solid defensively, regardless of the side he’s on.

Judging based on that, and understanding Davies could be in front him, I would be interested to see him at LB for Canada.

Edited by Shway

He's done really with his RB renaissance at TFC and emergence into the NT picture.  I am looking forward to seeing how his overall play goes against different opponents, particularly in the defensive side of the game.  Definitely looks to be the NT starter at RB though I reaĺly like ZBG's defensive chops, too.

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He's done really with his RB renaissance at TFC and emergence into the NT picture.  I am looking forward to seeing how his overall play goes against different opponents, particularly in the defensive side of the game.  Definitely looks to be the NT starter at RB though I reaĺly like ZBG's defensive chops, too.

Yes.  I think we are ok at LB & RB positions.   The little that i saw of ZBG in the “MLS is back tournament” left me with the impression that there is potential there.

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Shway said:

If I’m picking between the two, right now it’s definitely Laryea at RB. I think he’s better offensively, and defensively atm.

I think Laryea is looking more dangerous at LB than RB. In a back 4 we may want to start him there with ZBG at RB.

If we go 3 in the back and push the wing backs high, I would go with Davies on the left and Richie on the right. 

At leftback, he can't really use his left foot as much and to get the best out of him, you need him to cut into his right foot for crosses and also have him set himself up more narrow to take shots.

But when he's playing RB, he likes to dribble into the box more, which he is extremely dangerous in and also proven to score goals from that position.

I still think he's better off at RB, but if they really did want to experiment him at LB, I'd be wiling to see how it works out.

I prefer LBs being left footed or really good on their weaker left foot ( i.e. Maldini).  On another club team and tactical set up, Laryea may be a really effective inverted flank mid or winger on the left, working with an attacking LB overlapping.  In the right formation, Davies at LB with Laryea in front could provide us with some tasty attacking service down that side.

47 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I prefer LBs being left footed or really good on their weaker left foot ( i.e. Maldini).  On another club team and tactical set up, Laryea may be a really effective inverted flank mid or winger on the left, working with an attacking LB overlapping.  In the right formation, Davies at LB with Laryea in front could provide us with some tasty attacking service down that side.

If you are going to do this, why not play Junior instead of Laryea? 

On the other hand, having Richie and Davies together means they can swap mid-game, and Junior can come in as a super sub and replace Laryea. Or we could sub out ZBG, shift Laryea to right back, and bring Junior on that way.

52 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

At leftback, he can't really use his left foot as much and to get the best out of him, you need him to cut into his right foot for crosses and also have him set himself up more narrow to take shots.

But when he's playing RB, he likes to dribble into the box more, which he is extremely dangerous in and also proven to score goals from that position.

I still think he's better off at RB, but if they really did want to experiment him at LB, I'd be wiling to see how it works out.

Maybe there is an argument for him at RW too in that case. He did play there in the MLS playoffs.

Richie is really becoming a jack-of-all-trades. Valuable to have players like that.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

If you are going to do this, why not play Junior instead of Laryea? 

I might be one of the few people on here who sees Hoillet better as a supersub as opposed to a starter, like Quaresma with Portugal.  I think he can get more attacking space as a fresher sub than as a starter.  For instance, I can see him drifting inside from the left against a tired and stretched Costa Rican defence and bending a right footed curler around Navas.  Having said that, Herdman probably sees him as the first choice starter if he goes with Davies as a LB.

Edited by BearcatSA

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe there is an argument for him at RW too in that case. He did play there in the MLS playoffs.

Richie is really becoming a jack-of-all-trades. Valuable to have players like that.

I also thought about this in the past. Could be interesting to see.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I think they said he scored in his last 4 shots. The guy can be pretty clinical lol.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I might be one of the few people on here who sees Hoillet better as a supersub as opposed to a starter, like Quaresma with Portugal.  I think he can get more attacking space as a fresher sub than as a starter.  For instance, I can see him drifting inside from the left against a tired and stretched Costa Rican defence and bending a right footed curler around Navas.  Having said that, Herdman probably see him as the first choice starter if he goes with Davies as a LB.

Perhaps in theory, but I’m struggling to recall a time where Hoilett offered much as a substitute. Some players are suited to that role, but I’m not convinced he is. 

15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Perhaps in theory, but I’m struggling to recall a time where Hoilett offered much as a substitute. Some players are suited to that role, but I’m not convinced he is. 

Both games against the US in nations league he came off the bench and caused trouble.

The away game in particular comes to mind. He came on in the second half and within minutes the ball fell to him outside the box. He turned and sweetly struck it off the volley with his left foot. It was destined for the top corner, if not for a great save from Guzan.

That is the sort of immediate impact Hoilett can have from the bench. 

Edited by Obinna