Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

3 hours ago, RS said:

Laryea's been the perfect supersub over these past two games, coming on to create havoc against tired defenders in the last 20-30 minutes. Vanney's gotten his strategy spot on.

You're right, but only in the most technical sense possible.  I don't think Vanney's "strategy" (if one can even call it that) was for TFC to squeak by with a 90th minute penalty off of a Laryea foul in the box.  If anything, this last game shows that Laryea could use more time out there to make an impact.  

Laryea is hot right now. He needs to be starting. 

I love the interaction at 1:18 in the video when Drew Moor states "let Richie to go do what he always does".  Shows the type of confidence they have in him as player.

Osorio's passion at the end of the video as well is great.  Similar to the passion we've seen recently from him in a Canadian jersey as well.

38 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

You're right, but only in the most technical sense possible.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

As hesitant as you are to ever give Vanney the smallest shred of credit, his strategy (and I did call it that, twice now) has worked in consecutive high-pressure games. No, he didn't bank on Laryea earning a 90th-minute penalty, but he did bank on the player destabilizing the opposing defence and creating havoc. That creates chances, which is exactly what happened.

As for Laryea starting, we'll see. Auro and Morrow are both still better defensively than him at this time, which is not really his fault given that he's still new to the position, and in these "grind em out" style playoff games I can see why they are preferred as starters.

That said, he'd be fine as a starter too. That he has to fight for playing time isn't the worst thing, though.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Osorio's passion at the end of the video as well is great.  Similar to the passion we've seen recently from him in a Canadian jersey as well.

Does anyone else think his screaming at the end is playfully mocking Ciman? The way he is doing the same cheer and arm thing, staring right at Ciman, bumping into him, and after the camera fades out you hear a bunch of the team laughing afterwards. I love it.

26 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anyone else think his screaming at the end is playfully mocking Ciman? The way he is doing the same cheer and arm thing, staring right at Ciman, bumping into him, and after the camera fades out you hear a bunch of the team laughing afterwards. I love it.

Yeah there are definitely levels of irony indicating this is a highly advanced team culture.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

And when Ciman was walking past Vanney in the locker room 😂

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, RS said:

As for Laryea starting, we'll see. Auro and Morrow are both still better defensively than him at this time

People say this, but I still strongly disagree. Auro gives a lot of space for crosses I feel and gets exposed more than Laryea. Offensively it really is no contest, Laryea is better. It's just odd to have a big impact player sitting on the bench. He has been the most consistent and possibly best tfc player this season. The guy is scoring, assisting and winning multiple pk's, playing solid defence... If this still isn't convincing Vanney a start, forget about it.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yup.

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I would start auro at lb and laryea at rb. Morrow has lost a step and isnt as good as those two at this moment. 

I’ve been hoping this happens next year. Morrow has been a great signing for TFC and has been the most consistent player year by year but I also feel he’s starting to decline a bit. Defensively he’s still ok but going forward he just doesn’t look threatening anymore. Laryea and Auro are more useful now since they’re so good offensively. Laryea is so damn good at beating defenders 1v1. 

Laryea got lots of minutes during the season; his first as a RB and he is getting minutes in the playoffs. There is no doubt he has earned those minutes and making the most of his opportunities....including owning Pulisic on Oct 15.  I'm not a Vanney fan but you can't really fault him by going with 2 vets at the FB spots. Next season is different and he needs to start period...assuming he performs at his current level. Have not seen a lot of Auro this year but in prior years defence was not his forte. Morrow needs to be moved.

Morrow has been a good signing for TFC, his game is definitely declining on both sides of the ball, I'm not sure starting Auro at LB is an improvement because I haven't seen enough of him there! Laryea has grown in leaps and bounds right before our eyes and especially after the US match I think it's a mistake to not start him, Fraser not making the bench to me is idiotic!

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don’t notice problems with Morrow or Auro, but I don’t really notice them at all this season. Laryea on the other hand is a difference maker when he is on the field. I would start him for TFC.

I have seen Morrow get beat not able to keep up with the winger multiple times this year. He has lost a step. Where is Morgan in this conversation? Is he gone next year?

Is Morrow in decline? Perhaps a bit, but he is still starting quality in MLS. This is a player who has been one of the top left backs in the league since 2016, and before that he was a better-than-average left back, even going back to when he was in San Jose. I haven't seen enough to suggest he should be benched, let alone moved, so I am a little surprised by some of the comments.

I recall when a certain right back was not offered a new deal, was thought to be in decline and ultimately left to play elsewhere. He then went on to win the supporters shield as a starter for the best team in the league.

I personally wouldn't move Morrow.

Edited by Obinna

We hear the same things about Bradley, but he looks pretty good to me the last while.  As Craig Button says, "don't judge a player by the calendar".  Wait until you have a better player before replacing someone simply because you expect them to drop off at some point.

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is Morrow in decline? Perhaps a bit, but he is still starting quality in MLS. This is a player who has been one of the top left backs in the league since 2016, and before that he was a better-than-average left back, even going back to when he was in San Jose. I haven't seen enough to suggest he should be benched, let alone moved, so I am a little surprised by some of the comments.

I recall when a certain right back was not offered a new deal, was thought to be in decline and ultimately left to play elsewhere. He then went on to win the supporters shield as a starter for the best team in the league.

I personally wouldn't move Morrow.

In my case I don’t want him traded or anything, I just think we might better with Laryea and Auro starting now. He’ll still be useful if they get injuries or are in poor form. 

4 minutes ago, rkomar said:

We hear the same things about Bradley, but he looks pretty good to me the last while.  As Craig Button says, "don't judge a player by the calendar".  Wait until you have a better player before replacing someone simply because you expect them to drop off at some point.

I'm judging him by the pocket book.  7mil a season was ridiculous when he came to MLS, Now he isnt even worth DP type money, but I dont think he would agree with that.  Right now we could have dirt cheap local boy fraser doing 75% of what Bradley does and that gap is closing every day.  And who knows how high the ceiling is on Fraser??  Same thing with Auro and Lareya (although lareya is alot older).  Lets say they are roughly even now, who's going to be better next year and the year after that??  Look at Crepeau v Bush, Impact are prob wishing they had bet on the younger up and comer instead of the old vet.