Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

8 hours ago, El Diego said:

I have disagree with the take that Laryea was not responsible for any goals. He let Quintero get goal side of him and then followed his run to keep him on side. To me, that was a really basic error that directly led to the goal and showed that he still has a lot to learn about the basics of playing in a back line.

Regarding him going forward, it is clear that each full back position has different instructions from Vanney. The left back is asked to provide width because Osorio plays left wing, but Oso tucks inside to play as an extra center mid. On the right, DeLeon plays as a more traditional winger so the right back stays back a bit, and tucks inside himself. This is evidenced by the fact that not only was Laryea doing this, but Auro was doing it when he came on (and was doing it in previous games). That being said, Laryea did get forward at times, most notably when he baited a flyby and set up Altidore who fired over.

Despite the error I described above, I like the Laryea experiment at full back. He is much more intelligent with the ball than most full backs, so if he can turn himself into a competent defender I would be very pleased.

I was at the game and I'm not sure why I thought it was Mavinga.  Knowing that, clearly much of the fault falls with him and Bono on the first goal against.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thoughts on Laryea:

Overall he has been good to very good this year in his role for TFC and has more than earned a call up.  I think he has looked better in MLS than ZBG.  He's fast, he can beat a man 1 on 1, he has a mindset that looks to get into the box whenever he can, he can cross and he can shoot the ball.

However.

Most if not all of his bright moments with TFC have been going forward.  Ive not seen him have his hands full for 90 minutes against a skilled attacker. 

With the CMNT, especially against the better teams in qualifying, he's going to be pinned back, mostly defending.  This is a guy who needs to be slowly integrated into the program over the next 12-18 months, and not thrown to the wolves this fall.  Its no secret we have weak fullbacks.  Laryea will be isolated and targeted, just like Godinho was by Haiti. 

Cordova I think is the sole contender for RB right now, but Laryea has become my pick for the future. 

As good as Laryea has been for TFC, he plays like a mid or winger because that's exactly what he is. Perhaps with time but  he is not being deployed where he can maximize his abilities. ZBG plays like a fullback and you can just tell that he has been developed to play that position. Much more physical and powerful defensively. I agree that Laryea needs more time and should be given the rest of the season to settle down before a call up. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

As good as Laryea has been for TFC, he plays like a mid or winger because that's exactly what he is. Perhaps with time but  he is not being deployed where he can maximize his abilities. ZBG plays like a fullback and you can just tell that he has been developed to play that position. Much more physical and powerful defensively. I agree that Laryea needs more time and should be given the rest of the season to settle down before a call up. 

He adds flexibility then to a limited roster. Need defensive workrate at wing to protect a lead? Need an emergency right back? 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ate we sure that he answers the call?  I thought I read he was eyeing up the US team as well.  That call is probably less likely - but I am curious if he is eager to play for us. 

I thought  Larin and Laryea were  close buddies?

Edited by Kadenge

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ate we sure that he answers the call?  I thought I read he was eyeing up the US team as well.  That call is probably less likely - but I am curious if he is eager to play for us. 

He has played for Canada's U23 team in the past, so it would seem likely that he would play for the full national team. I doubt the US are interested even if he is eligible for them (although I don't think he is).

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’d agree except I thought Haworth looked solid.  Just didn’t have the support to do anything, especially at right back.

Actually, you are right.  I did think Haworth looked impressive.  Forgot about him.

Laryea really has been the surprise signing for TFC. I was not expecting much at all since he couldn't cut it in a bad Orlando team. I think he has been TFC's top performer in the last few matches especially. Been solid defensively and the guy has a knack for getting around defenders in the penalty box. Such a irritating player to defend when given just enough space near the box.

For sure earned himself a call up for Canada.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I was thinking the opposite, finally we have a guy who might be able to draw a red or a penalty off them.

I think we'll get some of the good stuff too, don't get me wrong. Just wouldn't surprise me to see things boil over with him in a not-so-good kinda way.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Just thought I would send some appreciation to Richie Laryea for his playoff performances these past two games.  Remarkably he's started both games on the bench.  Last week comes on and gets the game winner in extra time and today comes on and earns the penalty late in the game to beat the MLS East top seed.

He's been on the bench!? I thought he was starting, how could Vanney be sitting him